U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM

8,683 posts, read 17,319,123 times

Advertisements

Well, I say "special situation", but really I am looking for a fence company or contractor that is familiar with permitting, building codes, etc for the City of Austin. Here's the deal:

I'm looking to replace an existing fence old fence with a new one, which will enclose more of the property than before. Along this property line, I've got 3 neighbors... 2 of which are great, respectful people. One is not (isn't that always the case??) and has taken to using my side of the property line for temporary storage... I've discussed this with him in the past, to varying degrees of success, but I figure I'll nip the problem in the bud with the fence. I will be contacting this neighbor prior to putting up the fence, but I expect trouble... so I just want to make sure my fence is built 100% by the book with all necessary permits and regulations met.

Finally, I'm looking for a specific kind of fence -- a modern kind, not sure what it's called. It's a cedar horizontal-slat fence, I've seen it on a bunch of remodels, looks like this:

So, does anyone have and help or suggestions for this? Company name (DM me) or otherwise? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 03:01 PM

8,949 posts, read 10,807,033 times
You might want to try Capital Fence and Deck: Fence Company Austin | Capitol Fence.

Good luck.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:59 PM

75,574 posts, read 39,171,377 times
From what I understand when I did my fence and driveway extension, I did not have to pull a permit to build a fence. You cannot fence to the street without a permit. 10' easement at the street. and 5' on corner lots with back yard also along a street.

I would not notify anyone, except the guy building the fence that XX neighbor is a pain, so any damage you make to his property and lawn, you may be liable for, so be very careful over there!!

Make sure your property lines are true! You may want to have the lot surveyed.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 PM

16,791 posts, read 43,843,483 times
The fence companies I have worked with in the past required the property owner to mark or have someone mark the property line, so they would not be liable for putting the fence in the wrong place. I have not had anyone install a fence quite that nice, but I did install a 6' high, galvanized steel posts, 3 horizontal treated pine rails/runners and 1x4, #1 cedar pickets.

I got three bids and the best price a year ago from Allied Fence Company, they were professional to deal with, did good work, it looks great. Send me a PM if you need contact information.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 PM

8,683 posts, read 17,319,123 times
Thanks for the info everyone! I think I will get that survey done... it's probably worth the $400 or however much it costs. It hasn't been surveyed in a long time. I'm not planning to build it within 10' of the street, just around a larger area than before. Part of it will exist in a utility easement, which I believe is fine if access is still provided... right? I assume if they needed to dig or something, they could take down the fence, and I be responsible for the expense of replacing it.

BentBow, why should I not notify anyone other than the fence contractor about the nasty neighbor? Or did you mean don't notify people about the fence? How would that make me any more or less liable for property damage on his side?

Old 05-30-2009, 08:56 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,836,439 times
I'm no help, but I love that fence!

Old 05-30-2009, 11:58 AM

75,574 posts, read 39,171,377 times
I built this fence in the backyard, between the neighbors. 128 feet, took me a couple of days and my post are set 3 feet down, unlike the 1½ feet some fence companies try to get away with.

If you notice in some of the pictures the post sticking up. That is not my fence, that is the lame attempt my neighbor tried to do 5 years ago, that part of it blew over last fall. I left that fence there and came right in behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone recommend a fence company for special situation?-mvc-507s.jpg   Can someone recommend a fence company for special situation?-mvc-508s.jpg   Can someone recommend a fence company for special situation?-mvc-509s.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin