Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:06 PM

44 posts, read 121,072 times

Advertisements

I talked to a mom who sends her son there, and I got the feeling that religion was worked into all subjects somehow. She relayed this information enthusiastically, like "They teach that even math is related to God!" It seemed like a bonus point to her, but definitely stopped me from looking further into the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 02:03 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
No, the vote was to ADD it to the curriculum, and it failed for the most part.

And despite the wording of the curriculum, the vast majority of science teachers in the state will continue to do their jobs and actually teach science rather than the garbage that the religoius right want them to.
That's not my understanding of it from my science colleagues. They say that the "strengths and weaknesses" have been part of the TEKS standards for many years - the vote was to solidify the teaching of intelligent design, thus adding it to the state sanctioned textbooks The vote in March was a strengthening and solidifying of policy that has already been in the TEA objectives for years (again, according to my colleagues.)

I followed the controversy closely this year because it was absolutely shocking to me coming from the Northeast where teaching anything other than the theory of evolution would only be found in religious schools, and even then without more than a cursory mention.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:57 PM

629 posts, read 1,652,803 times
Quote:
No, the vote was to ADD it to the curriculum, and it failed for the most part.

And despite the wording of the curriculum, the vast majority of science teachers in the state will continue to do their jobs and actually teach science rather than the garbage that the religoius right want them to.
Yeah, I hope you're right. From the NCSE it sounds like the religiously motivated on the board got only far enough to add some wordage to make an impression of "doubt" surrounding the validity of evolution (we might as well do the same with gravity).

Anyways, I went to public schools and I only recall my science teachers teaching evolution as the scientifically sound theory (or fact in layman's terms) it is. I feel very sorry for the students who have the "16% of US science teachers that believe humans were created by God in the last 10,000 years," since their being taught someone's personal religious beliefs and being deprived of an important education in sciences.

This just goes to show how important parental involvement in your kid's education is. Find out what your kid's teacher intends to teach, and if you don't like it, raise hell (no pun intended) and/or move your kid to a different school. (I know, I know, if only it were as easy as it sounds.)

Old 06-03-2009, 06:03 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
That's not my understanding of it from my science colleagues. They say that the "strengths and weaknesses" have been part of the TEKS standards for many years - the vote was to solidify the teaching of intelligent design, thus adding it to the state sanctioned textbooks The vote in March was a strengthening and solidifying of policy that has already been in the TEA objectives for years (again, according to my colleagues.)

I followed the controversy closely this year because it was absolutely shocking to me coming from the Northeast where teaching anything other than the theory of evolution would only be found in religious schools, and even then without more than a cursory mention.
Strengths and weaknesses of evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK, so that clause has been there since the 1980s. However, they have never taught intelligent design in Texas, and that's what they wanted to add to the curriculum.

I don't know, nor have I personally heard of, a teacher who has a scientifically-valid "weakness" of evolution to teach, and I've never heard of any teacher in the Dallas area teaching it.

One of my friends in Wofforth said her school avoided the controversy by avoiding the topic altogether--whether that's the way I'd want to avoid getting intelligent design in science curriculum is another thing.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:39 PM

Sweet! It looks like that McLeroy character was denied Perry's reappointment attempt last week. Maybe the Texas State Board of Education can stop pushing people's political and religious agendas now.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Sweet! It looks like that McLeroy character was denied Perry's reappointment attempt last week. Maybe the Texas State Board of Education can stop pushing people's political and religious agendas now.
He's still on the board, just not chairman. Perry gets to pick whoever he wants for the chair and the senate has to confirm them.

He will probably pick one of the moderate Republicans for the job, because the Democrats won't let any creationism wackos be appointed.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:20 AM

675 posts, read 1,904,434 times
Moderators can this thread be locked? Seems like it's really devolved away from the original topic of discussion. We're not going to solve the debate here about teaching evolution as the only possible option in schools, maybe this would be better discussed somewhere else? Mods, I've seen you lock threads for far less reason than this.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Moderators can this thread be locked? Seems like it's really devolved away from the original topic of discussion. We're not going to solve the debate here about teaching evolution as the only possible option in schools, maybe this would be better discussed somewhere else? Mods, I've seen you lock threads for far less reason than this.
There is still an opportunity for people on this forum to voice their opinions about how evolution and creationism are taught in regards to Veritas Academy, and locking this thread would prohibit that. The fact that this thread also includes conversation about how/if evolution and creationism are taught in ALL our schools should not be surprising, and I don't think it diverts from the original topic beyond useful levels.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:01 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
This topic does bring up an interesting point on the differences between private schools, especially relgious ones, in how they address controversial teachings, like evolution/creationism, homosexuality, gender roles, etc. Just because two schools are relgious in nature doesn't mean they have similar curriculums. Regents/Veritas/Hyde Park vs. St. Stephens/St. Andrews/St. Francis for example.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
He's still on the board, just not chairman. Perry gets to pick whoever he wants for the chair and the senate has to confirm them.
What's the significance of the chairmanship? I assume the role comes with additional powers and privileges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: