Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,866 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am looking for folks experiences with Veritas Academy of Austin. Likes dislikes? Specifically their "sciences curriculum infused with a Christian worldview". Intelligence Design vs the real teachings of Evolution?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 PM

675 posts, read 1,904,434 times
Hear nothing but good things. We have several friends with children there, and they love it. We seriously considered it and were impressed with everyone we met, all great people- but decided on something else for us. I'd recommend attending an information session. It's a Christian school, though, so if you have issues with that you shouldn't consider it.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:58 PM

629 posts, read 1,652,803 times
Not to start a debate or anything, but I would never send my kids to a school that taught Creationism as some sort of science. No matter what your religion or personal beliefs are, the most basic rules of science are as clearly defined as any - and Creationism can not be considered science. If a school doesn't understand the basic tenets of what constitutes science, then how can you trust them to correctly teach your kids anything more complex?

Religion is fine in the classroom if that's what you believe and the school makes their intentions clear, but don't pass religion off as science. You're just doing your kids a disservice in a society that is requiring a greater aptitude for science and technology to succeed.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 PM

675 posts, read 1,904,434 times
I really don't think that most of the good Christian schools teach creationism "as some sort of science" but rather, more like it used to be taught. That evolution is a theory. I think most people my age were taught similarly, and our world isn't ruined because of that, is it? Does evolution have to be taught as fact when it is a theory, just to make sure nobody gets religious notions in their heads? If so, then I guess you're saying that for hundreds of years America has been full of idiots, until finally in our era, we're all enlightened now. You could have fooled me but I don't think teaching exclusive evolution in schools is going to make us enter a new golden age. Not to start a debate.

But for the record I know Veritas and other Christian schools don't have a science class called "Creationism". I think that's just wishful thinking on your part, perhaps?

Old 06-02-2009, 06:19 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
I really don't think that most of the good Christian schools teach creationism "as some sort of science" but rather, more like it used to be taught. That evolution is a theory. I think most people my age were taught similarly, and our world isn't ruined because of that, is it? Does evolution have to be taught as fact when it is a theory, just to make sure nobody gets religious notions in their heads? If so, then I guess you're saying that for hundreds of years America has been full of idiots, until finally in our era, we're all enlightened now. You could have fooled me but I don't think teaching exclusive evolution in schools is going to make us enter a new golden age. Not to start a debate.

But for the record I know Veritas and other Christian schools don't have a science class called "Creationism". I think that's just wishful thinking on your part, perhaps?
I know that in the local Episcopal schools, creationism is taught in chapel and the theory of evolution (along with the theories of relativity, cell theory, the big bang theory, etc.). I'm not sure about Veritas or Regents. I would schedule a visit and interview.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
If creationism is being lumped in with scientific theory, then, yes, there is a problem. What is that? Scientific theory is open to investigation and the possibility of being proven wrong. Religion, by its very nature of being faith-based, is not.

That's a critical difference - one I learned at the knee of my father, the Methodist minister who probably lived the most truly Christian life of anyone I've personally know in the past 60 years. He also didn't believe in checking one's brain at the church door.

This was in the unenlightened 1950's, by the way, in deep East Texas.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:24 AM

629 posts, read 1,652,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post

Wishful thinking? I wish science and religion would be kept as seperate entities in our social sphere. I wish religion would do nothing to impede the free advance of our scientific knowledge (and the general public's ability to understand it) just as I wish science will do nothing to hinder the individual's ability to worship as they please. Unfortunately, that's "just wishful thinking on my part", since organized religion and science have battled it out for centuries and I doubt it will end here.

Anyways, I have a strong feeling you're using the term "theory" in its colloquial sense, which is very different than the term scientific theory, in which evolution is classified. This goes back to my desire to have our children taught the most basic scientific definitions and principles so not to have them confused and easily manipulated by those who have an agenda.

In regards to a couple of your points, evolution is as fact as gravity is as fact. Your presumption that evolution is "not fact but theory" is the classic and unfortunately common confusion between scientific definitions. And that is most likely the reason why, if I rememeber correctly, the most recent polls show a majority of Americans don't believe evolution is true. Don't you think you'd see something wrong with the majortity of Americans believing gravity is false? And that maybe a better education in sciences might be an appropriate solution?

Here's a nice summary statement from the US National Academy of Sciences in a book they wrote in 1999 on this very issue:

Scientists most often use the word "fact" to describe an observation. But scientists can also use fact to mean something that has been tested or observed so many times that there is no longer a compelling reason to keep testing or looking for examples. The occurrence of evolution in this sense is fact. Scientists no longer question whether descent with modification occurred because the evidence is so strong.

I won't go any further than that since this thread is is supposed to be about science, evolution, and creationism as they relate to Veritas Academy of Austin. I think it is VERY important, though, for me to point out the common and troubling misunderstanding of the most basic science terminology as exhibited in this thread and how "scientific" teachings in religious institutions might perpetuate those misunderstandings. Is this the case at Veritas? I don't know, but I think it's a very valid concern if you're considering sending your child there.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:13 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
"Intelligent design" or any similar idea is a religious principle, not a scientific one. I have no problem with that being taught in Theology classes but I'd have an issue with it being taught in science classes.

I know that schools like St Andrews, St Stephens, and St Michaels don't teach creationism in science class. I don't know what Veritas or Regents do, but they oughtn't to teach it as science.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:15 AM

447 posts, read 1,849,189 times
You guys know that intelligent design has been taught in Texas public schools alongside evolution for years, right? There was a very contentious vote just this past year determining whether to keep it in the TEA curriculum.

A setback for science education in Texas | NCSE

Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
You guys know that intelligent design has been taught in Texas public schools alongside evolution for years, right? There was a very contentious vote just this past year determining whether to keep it in the TEA curriculum.

A setback for science education in Texas | NCSE
No, the vote was to ADD it to the curriculum, and it failed for the most part.

And despite the wording of the curriculum, the vast majority of science teachers in the state will continue to do their jobs and actually teach science rather than the garbage that the religoius right want them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: