Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:15 PM

186 posts, read 352,782 times

Advertisements

I like the sushi at HEB>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
I have to say, despite having many choices in Austin, there are only 2 good spots: Musashino on Uchi. And I prefer Musashino. As far as rolls and other stuff, their Texas Hybrid rolls and avacado Kama are great... but I usually stick to sashimi. I think those 2 restaurants are the only ones that get fish shipped daily.

As someone said earlier, there is nothing worse than less-than-perfect sushi. Especially if you tend to stick to sashimi -- if you are going to eat a large chunk of raw fish, it better be perfect. You can't really cover flaws when there is no cooking / seasoning involved. Only the temperature, freshness, and cut of the fish.

Life is too short for bad sushi. Just pay the money for the good stuff.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:16 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
I just had Beluga in Round Rock for the first time. Wow, it's overpriced for basically being supported by the Dell lunch crowd. It was "average" but seriously overpriced. Lunch was $50 for two and a child! The child's plate for lunch (which was basically a minuscule amount of teriyaki chicken and a couple of tempura pieces) was $10!! For lunch!! Drinks were near $4!!

If it was amazing sushi, I would deal with it - but NOT worth it.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 AM

20 posts, read 71,376 times
Default Sushi

Here's my take on the local sushi; none are as good as Katsu in San Marcos, CA

Sushi Sake is my personal favorite, but still a little overpriced
Oragami is mediocre at best and overpriced
Beluga has both awful food and service as well as being overpriced
Kenichi had a bad fish smell so we left without ordering

Happy Eating!

Old 10-07-2007, 12:12 PM

42 posts, read 158,096 times
Chalk up another vote for Uchi...and for Umi...and the best kept secret, which is Shogun.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Default Kenichi is good

Not as good as Uschi, but still good.

What's with all the bashing?
Sure, Kenichi is overpriced and caters to the warehouse district crowd, but only a little bit more than other good Japanese places.
Seems that people think it's "too hip". Well, who cares?
You can still eat there looking however you want (as per the usual in Austin).
I'd venture to guess that if you think it's too hip, then you are self-conscious about your own hipness. I see all "types" eat at Kenichi. And I'd say the food is much better than mediocre.

I also would choose other places, but I wanted to stand up for Kenichi because I like it.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 AM

56 posts, read 268,685 times
the bar at Bistro 88 on Bee Cave Road

Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 AM

19 posts, read 89,055 times
Another vote for Tomo on Parmer. Rumor is the guy who opened it was the chef at Nobu of Howard Stern/NYC fame.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:25 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
Can anybody explain sushi to me? I just don't get it. I've had it probably 2 dozen times...Uchi, Musashino, Umi, Sushi Sake, etc...I'll eat anything put in front of me so I let my sushi-lovin' friends steer the way so I'm not sticking to California rolls. I just don't get it. It's fine. I still think any cooked fish dish is better. Cerviche is better. I've never thought, "man! he cuts so well! That 47.4 degree angle does wonders for the flavor! It is so much better with the avocado on the left side of fish instead of the right!" I keep feeling like if it wasn't trendy there'd only be about 10% of the sushi restaurants out there. Maybe it's just me.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:39 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Raw fish, when absolutely fresh and just the right temperature, has a delicious mild flavor (depending on the fish). It's especially good with some wasabi and cold beer. That's what I like -- rolls are fine, but I mainly go for sashimi.

The biggest problem sashimi/sushi is that if it isn't the freshest and best, it's terrible, and will ruin it for you. Unlike cooked fish, you can't use sauces or cooking techniques to hide the flavor or texture.

However, having been to Uchi and Mushashino, you've been to the best. It just may not be your style. I don't like cajun food, for example.

If you ever did try it again, I'd tell you to go for sashimi -- get an order of hamachi (yellowtail) and an order of sake (salmon). Just have that with soy sauce, wasabi, and cold beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin