Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:01 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
You know, I get where you're coming from but I don't have that connection with Austin back then. Talk to me in 20 years and I may be complaining about all of the damn flying cars obscuring my view of the hills

It's funny, but I'm in Ohio right now spending some time in the house I grew up in, and the office park behind my parent's property bums me out. It was miles of woods when I was a kid. And those woods were my playground, the place where I could be independent with my friends. But I suppose when some new, young family moves into this house, they'll find something awesome and meaningful that I never noticed and a new nostalgic waypoint will be set. Sometimes the world seems to change faster than we do.
Maybe it's just a function of getting older. And I agree with the post above, change IS inevitable, and it happens everywhere. Off to enjoy a gorgeous day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Any links to the plans for those? I'd like to see an artist's rendition of what they're looking for.

There used to be a pretty important ordinance that precluded blocking the line of site to the Capitol. Clearly, someone got it either overturned or got a lot of variances done, and I think that's a shame.
No, the capital view corridor ordinance still exists, some of it is state law and some is local ordinance, but a lot of people never understood what it was. It protects the view only from certain designated land mark locations, not from anywhere and everywhere in town.

This recent study http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/downtown/...port_Final.pdf shows you where each of the view corridors are, including photographs from the landmark location. It also makes recommendations on modifications for some of those corridors.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 AM

433 posts, read 1,657,287 times
What's truly interesting is people who think that because they've lived here for a long time, that somehow their opinions carry more weight than someone who's recently relocated. When I bought my house here, I didn't think I was moving into someone else's house and trying to redecorate. I work and pay taxes just like someone who's been here for 50+ years. This is my hometown now just as much as anyone else's. To suggest otherwise is egomaniacal and pompous.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Really? I LOVE the Frost Building! I think it's really cool looking. I like to picture Bruce Wayne living up there....
My 16 year old daughter has informed me that the people on the 33rd floor of the Frost Building are "mean".

She and a gaggle of her friends (8 or 10 of them) met up at Whole Foods last Friday to hang out. Then they killed time at Book People. Then they walked to the Capital to hang out and watch the legislature (I found that a curious choice for a bunch of 16 year olds - some of her friends are kind of nerdy though).

Then they walked from the Capital down Congress to the Starbucks but at some point decided randomly to see if they could get to the top of the Frost building to check out the view.

They went up the elevator to the highest floor only to learn that it wasn't the highest floor and that they needed to go back to the bottom and go back up a different elevator, which they did.

Upon exiting the other elevator on the 33rd floor, they stepped into an office of some kind, where they were greeted unkindly. They were told immediately "you can't be up here. You need to leave". They asked, "can we just look out the windows real quick, is that ok?"

It was not, and they were again told to leave immediately. They left and headed for the town lake foot bridge and on to Barton Springs.

So, hate them or not, the tall buildings did at least offer an interesting detour in the day of some rambling Austin teens.

Steve

Old 06-03-2009, 10:21 AM

979 posts, read 2,954,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
and then next to that is the old Power and Light building - a prime example of Art Deco architecture (think Hollywood circa 1930) that will be infilled with condos. You think Austonian was expensive? This last project will be one-of-a-kind and can't be reproduced... Exciting times indeed.
That would be pretty cool, but unfortunately the condos are being built in a separate tower (along with a hotel) next to the old power plant. The plant itself looks like it is going to be used for retail and office space. The details of the project are on this website:

Seaholm Power, LLC : Austin : Texas : Seaholm Plaza Condominiums - Buyer Information Request

Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
My 16 year old daughter has informed me that the people on the 33rd floor of the Frost Building are "mean".

She and a gaggle of her friends (8 or 10 of them) met up at Whole Foods last Friday to hang out. Then they killed time at Book People. Then they walked to the Capital to hang out and watch the legislature (I found that a curious choice for a bunch of 16 year olds - some of her friends are kind of nerdy though).

Then they walked from the Capital down Congress to the Starbucks but at some point decided randomly to see if they could get to the top of the Frost building to check out the view.

They went up the elevator to the highest floor only to learn that it wasn't the highest floor and that they needed to go back to the bottom and go back up a different elevator, which they did.

Upon exiting the other elevator on the 33rd floor, they stepped into an office of some kind, where they were greeted unkindly. They were told immediately "you can't be up here. You need to leave". They asked, "can we just look out the windows real quick, is that ok?"

It was not, and they were again told to leave immediately. They left and headed for the town lake foot bridge and on to Barton Springs.

So, hate them or not, the tall buildings did at least offer an interesting detour in the day of some rambling Austin teens.

Steve
Cool kids. I think every high rise should be required to have a public observation deck.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Any links to the plans for those? I'd like to see an artist's rendition of what they're looking for.
Here's the project at the old Tom Green Plant location - NOT named for that guy who had that tv show I'm sure..

Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 AM

804 posts, read 1,964,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
Oh yeah, that Frost Bank is wretched. The architecture looks like a bad joke stolen from a Superman movie.
It looks like a giant nose trimmer

Old 06-03-2009, 11:03 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
See? This just proves my point!! Batman is totally living up there, and no one must learn his dark secret....

Old 06-03-2009, 11:25 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
see? This just proves my point!! Batman is totally living up there, and no one must learn his dark secret....
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin