Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:53 PM

30 posts, read 145,916 times

Advertisements

I just left Pearland (Houston suburb) 6 months ago for the Austin area and I defiintely would not want to go back. I often say that I probably could make more money in Houston, but it's not worth leaving Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 04:19 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl1 View Post
I think alot of that $10K would get eaten up in your electric bill. A $500 electric bill in the summer in Houston is considered "normal".
No it's not. That's ridiculous.

I've lived in both cities, so here's the truth. Your cost of living will be about the same regardless of which city you're in. The difference in climate is negligible at best. There's hardly a difference between the two. The cities are a two hour drive away from each other, not on opposite sides of the continent. The only thing Austin has over Houston is the Hill Country. Ask yourself how important the topography is to your happiness. Everything else worthwhile in Austin is easily found within Houston's inner loop except a street with a dedicated bar scene. You have kids, so I imagine that's a bit less important to you now than it once was. Also, if live music's your bag, don't forget Austin is only two hours away and that Houston is an underappreciated performer in that regard too. Austin's cool because you can see bands before they hit the big time. Houston's cool because you can see the band before they go to Austin to hit the big time.

It's not as if you'd be relocating across the country where your access to friends and family would be limited to phone calls and a single annual trip. Again, you'd only be two hours away. Plus, your husband will make more money which will allow you to afford to visit more often anyhow.

A wise man once told me to move to a city not for your current job, but for the next job. In other words, move where there's opportunity and growth potential in case things don't work out with your husband's current job. That's Houston, not Austin.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:33 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
I was just in Austin today. I've been there before, but I never really realized how DIFFERENT Austin actually is. It was considering going to UT, but I think Austin is too small for me. I don't really know yet. I'm also a big city guy. Lived in L.A before and that was the right fit for me

BTW. One visit in Hosuton probably won't help you. It takes time to get used to the city. I didn't like it first, but now I love it.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:41 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,654 times
$45K or even $55K is going to be tight with kids with a stay at home wife. I don't think you could afford to buy anything anywhere in Houston that isn't at least an hour commute. Renting is a different story if you are not super picky. You could check out the Garden Oaks section of Houston.

I don't know your money situation or what you are trained to do.

Are you young and husband is in the early stages of his career? If so, he should go where he has advancement possibilities are the best. If you guys are pretty much not in a growth industry, you can probably live here cheaper from a rent perspective.

Houston can really annoy you and can grow on you. Austin is quirkier. Seem to be more people living here on less and being deemed Ausitn Cool/Weird/Independent types. In Houston, you are just poor.

The feminist in me says figure out how to contribute financially to the union especially if husband's career doesn't have a lot of growth potential. Kids are CRAZY expensive.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,654 times
I just read that your parents are in Austin. If they help out a lot with the kids, that is huge. Babysitting costs really run up.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Being close to the parents is a bonus, but my parents don't live here. Mom's in Houston and Dad's in Tyler. They actually make it up here quite often, several times a year in fact and sometimes more depending on if we need them to watch the kids for whatever reason. My sisters in-laws on the other hand live in Taylor and sometimes she thinks they're a little too close for comfort because they are ALWAYS around even when she doesn't want them to be. I guess it's just something you two would have to talk out and maybe weigh the pros and cons. I know that if it was my husband and we were in a similar situation where he would get a pay increase, we'd move.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl1 View Post
A $500 electric bill in the summer in Houston is considered "normal".
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
No it's not. That's ridiculous.
Same thing I was thinking. This might be the case in an older, very large home (4000+ sq ft) in the peak of summer. In newer construction, no way. In normal sized homes, no way. If someone is paying that, they need to change their electric provider and get a better rate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I've lived in both cities, so here's the truth. Your cost of living will be about the same regardless of which city you're in. The difference in climate is negligible at best. There's hardly a difference between the two. The cities are a two hour drive away from each other, not on opposite sides of the continent. The only thing Austin has over Houston is the Hill Country. Ask yourself how important the topography is to your happiness. Everything else worthwhile in Austin is easily found within Houston's inner loop except a street with a dedicated bar scene. You have kids, so I imagine that's a bit less important to you now than it once was. Also, if live music's your bag, don't forget Austin is only two hours away and that Houston is an underappreciated performer in that regard too. Austin's cool because you can see bands before they hit the big time. Houston's cool because you can see the band before they go to Austin to hit the big time.
A wise man once told me to move to a city not for your current job, but for the next job. In other words, move where there's opportunity and growth potential in case things don't work out with your husband's current job. That's Houston, not Austin.
I've lived in both too, for several years each (currently in a suburb of Houston) and agree with you for the most part. Especially climate, I looked up what the humidity difference was between the two cities and it was average about 10%. Maybe some people are just more sensitive to it.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 AM

170 posts, read 598,614 times
I'll offer another vote for staying in Austin. You already like the area, and your parents are there. Those are two huge factors! I hope you can find a way to make it work financially.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:31 PM

399 posts, read 974,493 times
I probably wouldn't, especially if I had to live out in the Houston suburbs. I visit Houston a couple of times a year, and it's entirely too big for me to want to ever live there. Downtown Austin still gives me fits after living here for nearly 8 years; there's no way I could make it in Houston - I'd get lost and nobody would ever find me!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Houston is awesome. Way better than Austin. Check out The Woodlands it's far more beautiful than Austin. One of the best cities ever and it doesn't get too flooded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin