Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 31,160 times

Advertisements

Has anybody been to a PODS auction? They do it every month in Pflugerville.
I'm hoping to get lucky and bid on some things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 30,005 times
I've been was able to make it to a couple of PODS Auction. I though it was in Austin (not sure hubby drives) but I guess it could have been in Pflugerville. Anyways I've made out with a couple of nice things. It really worth checking out if you have the time.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 42,021 times
Default Upcoming Storage Auctions

You can sign up to receive automatic alerts of upcoming storage auctions in your area, including PODS, here.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:45 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
Are they auctioning off stuff that people can't afford to keep in storage?

I'm getting a strange vibe about the whole thing.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM

332 posts, read 1,386,369 times
I have not been to the PODS auction, but have been to other storage auctions-- When I went, they cut the lock, open the storage unit and you bid without being able to search through the contents. I believe some auctions you bid without even opening the unit. Who knows what treasures you can find, I bought two units worth of stuff for $100 each.

http://www.davisauctiontx.com/Schedule.htm (broken link)

that schedule shows an auction for u-haul austin. somebody might want to check it out.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekv View Post
I have not been to the PODS auction, but have been to other storage auctions-- When I went, they cut the lock, open the storage unit and you bid without being able to search through the contents. I believe some auctions you bid without even opening the unit. Who knows what treasures you can find, I bought two units worth of stuff for $100 each.

Davis Auctioneers, L.P. (http://www.davisauctiontx.com/Schedule.htm - broken link)

that schedule shows an auction for u-haul austin. somebody might want to check it out.
Just curious as to if you got/get anything good out of the units you personally have won?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
Yikes. I'd be seriously afraid of what I might find in a pod of stuff that someone didn't bother to pay for. I don't think I'd have any "American Pickers" type success (looooove that show).

What'd you manage to find, derekv?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
Yikes. I'd be seriously afraid of what I might find in a pod of stuff that someone didn't bother to pay for.
Yeah, the first thing that popped into my mind was this:

American Atheists | Murderer Dies in Prison

Quote:
The decapitated and handless corpse of one Waters assocate, Danny Fry, was found by a riverbed outside of Dallas, Texas. Another man, Gary Karr, was convicted for his role in the kidnapping scheme. Investigators say that the trio gained control of the O'Hair family and held them hostage in a San Antonio motel. There, they forced Mr. Murray to convert money to gold coins, and then killed the three Atheists, dismembered them in a rented storage unit and buried the remains.

In a strange twist of irony, the gold coins were stashed in another rental unit and later stolen by juveniles, who spent all of the loot.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:20 AM

1 posts, read 22,299 times
I was lucky enough to go to one pod auction here in san antonio back in 2006. Ive been hoping to find another one. There were boxes that had stuff from vietnam, the 60's. The boxes were sealed but had writing on the outside, like dolls, uniforms, army, etc. You were not allowed to open the boxes and look inside. I bought up severall boxes for $25 up to $80 that had dolls on the side. When we got home, we found some Japanese dolls that were supposed to be japanese gods of humor, health, food and others made of porcelain. We had 7 or 8, total price on ebay $2400. And then they had single stuff, I bought a sword that turned out to be from the civil war for $75 and sold it on ebay for $400. They also had furniture that was in terrific shape and some had hand carvings on them from vietnam. Those sold for about $200 for a whole set, later found out the set was worth approx. 3500. King mattresses went for 5-10 dollars. I bought a roll top desk for $25, dark green marble top, oak wood on the front.

So if anyone hears about POD auctions, go to one or 2 or 3,4,5,6,7..
Mark

Old 07-11-2010, 07:09 AM

653 posts, read 1,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Are they auctioning off stuff that people can't afford to keep in storage?

I'm getting a strange vibe about the whole thing.
It is stuff that was taken from people, who could not afford (or choose not to pay) the storage bill.

I remember telling my nieces, when they were young, and their mom had died, to NOT put anything they cared about into the storage locker their father was renting. They did anyway, but I didn't know they had until the stuff had all be auctioned off.

What if the stuff one wins in an auction is stuff they do not want, that is expensive to dispose of? Do they then become responsible for disposal. I am thinking of things like old mattresses and rubber tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin