Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I thought I was being funny. Guess not.
Well, since I am a landlord and try hard to be good to my tenants, I did not find it funny, sorry, I just don't see the humor in:

Quote:
That has freaked me out too. I think the grace period is like 3 days. I would speak with Austin Energy or your provider and ask to transfer your utility after three days, but get your deposit from the landlord first, then tell him/her to take their house and shove it or whatever feels good at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 06:25 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDailyCompulsion View Post
So does that mean I need to leave the account open under my name or should I call the electric company and tell them to just leave it on but switch it back to the landlord's name? As of right now I have two City of Austin utility accounts open with one of them being at a place I no longer live! As one poster said before, what is to stop them from going and having a party and running the A/C at 60 degrees with all the windows open? That is what seems ridiculous to me. Thanks for the replies guys... It's 3:30 on Wednesday and still no phone call about when the walk-thru is going to take place.
I believe you can call Austin Energy and get it switched to the landlord's name. They will probably have their previous account info from before -- and I'm not sure if they require any authorization by the landlord. If they do, they'll let you know what they need. I'd call the landlord and let them know you will be switching it, leaving it on (per the lease), but not in your name... you need to contact the landloard anyway about the walk-through. Don't just wait for a call, be proactive, document the landlord's no-show for a walk-through (I'd consider it a no-show because of no call).

Old 06-03-2009, 07:21 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,069 times
whether or not it is bs is not the issue here. If that's what she agreed to when she signed the lease, that's what she has to do. I just had a tenant call me to complain at the end of their lease because my leases always stipulate that the tenant have the home PROFESSIONALLY cleaned prior to move-out. They called and said it wasn't fair because most landlords don't require it. But, it was in their lease in bold, with a seperate initial line beside it. If you didn't want to do it, you shouldn't have moved in and signed a lease.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Yeah, that's no b.s - that is clearly a rip off - my bad.

And professionally cleaned? You guys make enough money - pay for it yourself! Landlords make a fortune in Texas. Thanks to our anti tenant laws.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
pffttt...

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-03-2009 at 10:28 PM..

Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post

And professionally cleaned? You guys make enough money - pay for it yourself! Landlords make a fortune in Texas. Thanks to our anti tenant laws.
clearly, you don't understand how renting works. For my lease, I walked though the lease with the tenant and had them initial the clauses to make sure they understood them. I basically break even on the rent so why do you think I make enough money? Maybe you should do some research prior to just posting fud.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:03 PM

42 posts, read 206,154 times
Okay I am going to email the manager and ask about the walkthrough and advise that I am going to be switching the electricity out of my name. I took photos of everything dirty and wrong with the place when we moved in, in addition to a long list submitted to them. I did not take photos before I moved out, however me and two friends cleaned the heck out of that place. The problem that I have with these landlords is that they are intentionally rude, obfuscatory, and condescendingly unpleasant in an order to create a barrier between themselves and me. Every time I think of dealing with them I cringe.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:54 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,069 times
Quote:

Are you kidding me? If it was clean when you moved in, it should be clean when you move out. Where do you get that landlords make so much money? Clueless

Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
clearly, you don't understand how renting works. For my lease, I walked though the lease with the tenant and had them initial the clauses to make sure they understood them. I basically break even on the rent so why do you think I make enough money? Maybe you should do some research prior to just posting fud.

Yeah, so? I don't care if they knew it or not. Dosen't make it any better. I assume you also charge them for the wear and tear?
Nobody needs to be an expert to know the tenant is always the loser here in Texas

Old 06-04-2009, 01:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,028 times
Quote:
Yeah, so? I don't care if they knew it or not. Dosen't make it any better. I assume you also charge them for the wear and tear?
Nobody needs to be an expert to know the tenant is always the loser here in Texas
Have you ever actually leased anything before? No I don't charge for normal wear and tear. That is expected, but it should be clean when you move out just like it was clean when you moved in. If you "break" something or there is abnormal wear then a "discussion" will occur. For example, if you move in and the carpets are clean and move out with clean carpets nothing happens, but if you move out and there is a wine stain on the floor, you are responsible for the damage.

Let me "borrow" your car and spill milk in it before giving it back to you. I'm sure you would sing a different song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin