Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:27 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times

Advertisements

Hmm...well, certainly not touted that way, but it definitely has its issues, as does the University of Texas and Texas Tech. For the 2007 Spring class, though, they aTm website shows the School of Engineering demographics as:
62.5% white
2.6% Black
10.6 Hispanic
4.5% Asian
0.3% American Indian
18.8 International
0.4% other

Not sure where international students would fit, but I am guessing it would mainly be split between white and asian, not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 11:29 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,586 times
Thanks for the read folks. I currently live in Los Angeles, but want to move to Texas. I currently attend a community college but want to transfer to a state university or public school. So I was leaning towards just moving to texas and doing it there. DFW is #1 on my list, but UT interests me. But after reading this it may not be the best choice for me. For one, the out of state tuition, 2, the problem with my working FT. I doubt I could live and focus more time on school than work.

Anyone recommend something? I am 25, looking to get a BA in Economics. Was interested in McCombs. But...
Should I just get to DFW and go to Dallas?
Im hoping for a scholarship. Have a 4.0 as of now.
Might be best to stay in state and go to CSUN, UCLA or somewhere.

Really want to leave Cali though.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:15 PM

982 posts, read 3,306,236 times
If you really, really want to come to Texas, you might look into going to a community college here for one year. After one year, you're considered a resident, so you don't have to pay out-of-state tuition (well, you do at the community college for that first year). I know that Austin Community College
www.austincc.edu has specific information for classes needed to get into McComb's. I'm not sure how far your transfer credits will go (Texas universities can be picky about that), but it's worth checking into to see if it's an option. Hope that helps a little - and congrats on the GPA! Keep up the good work!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:51 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Check out SMU in Dallas (Southern Methodist University). They have a program w/ Collin County Community College where you can go to CCCC for the first 2 years then transfer right over to SMU w/ no need to apply and not lose credits if your on this program. I saw your post in the Dallas thread and having been thru college and working myself your much better off in large city that is NOT a "college town". The jobs pay better and there are more options when it comes to jobs. Housing is also better as you have MANY more options and they are usually less expensive and nicer than what you can find in a college town/city. Being in a market that can offer you a great internship while attending school that last year can open up some great doors. Many people that go thru SMU w/ internships at businesses in Dallas tend to get great offers before they graduate. SMU also has a very good MBA program that caters to those that work full time.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:44 PM

I am trying to find out if I can transfer 30 units from Cali, to Texas...get 30 more units/hours in Texas at a community college...and THEN transfer to a University when I have 1 year residency.

I bet I will get screwed on being able to transfer my cali credits to Texas....as of now I am taking classes that are considered lower division at CSUN and its of course cheaper.
I really dont wanna waste time and money, but we'll see. Because I also dont want to throw away the 4.0 I have now with 12units under my belt. Ive worked hard and should have another 12-15 by fall.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgee View Post
I am trying to find out if I can transfer 30 units from Cali, to Texas...get 30 more units/hours in Texas at a community college...and THEN transfer to a University when I have 1 year residency.

I bet I will get screwed on being able to transfer my cali credits to Texas....as of now I am taking classes that are considered lower division at CSUN and its of course cheaper.
I really dont wanna waste time and money, but we'll see. Because I also dont want to throw away the 4.0 I have now with 12units under my belt. Ive worked hard and should have another 12-15 by fall.
Go to the counselor at the school your at now and have them check for you. They will be able to look up and see what credits will transfer for the classes you have already taken and those you plan on taking. THen if you figure out what school you want to attend for a degree find out what community college they work w/ best. If I remember correctly (gosh, it has been soooo long ) they have the courses for the local community colleges and what transfers and vice versa. If you find a program that is joint like the one w/ SMU and Collin County you won't have to worry about such. You never know till you find out for sure.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Check out SMU in Dallas (Southern Methodist University). They have a program w/ Collin County Community College where you can go to CCCC for the first 2 years then transfer right over to SMU w/ no need to apply and not lose credits if your on this program. I saw your post in the Dallas thread and having been thru college and working myself your much better off in large city that is NOT a "college town". The jobs pay better and there are more options when it comes to jobs. Housing is also better as you have MANY more options and they are usually less expensive and nicer than what you can find in a college town/city. Being in a market that can offer you a great internship while attending school that last year can open up some great doors. Many people that go thru SMU w/ internships at businesses in Dallas tend to get great offers before they graduate. SMU also has a very good MBA program that caters to those that work full time.
SMU is also full of socialite rich kids who will exclude anyone who is of a lower socio-economic level. I've heard plenty of horror stories.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
SMU is also full of socialite rich kids who will exclude anyone who is of a lower socio-economic level. I've heard plenty of horror stories.
No, it is not that bad. I've known plenty of kids that have gone there that were far from "socialite rich kids". SMU also is known for having a great network of alumni which will help upon graduation for landing a job.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Go to the counselor at the school your at now and have them check for you. They will be able to look up and see what credits will transfer for the classes you have already taken and those you plan on taking. THen if you figure out what school you want to attend for a degree find out what community college they work w/ best. If I remember correctly (gosh, it has been soooo long ) they have the courses for the local community colleges and what transfers and vice versa. If you find a program that is joint like the one w/ SMU and Collin County you won't have to worry about such. You never know till you find out for sure.
Yea I am having my tranfer center dig up info for me on Austin and Dallas areas. Should be done by Monday, I hope. But I'm pretty sure I can use my credits now, plus credits from a CC out there to attend a UT out there.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 AM

31 posts, read 166,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I am very much in favor of merit based rewards and I really dislike affirmative action. However I think the 10% rule is actually quite good. Would you rather that UT be populated mostly by rich white students from westlake style schools? The implication of this is that impoverished students have no chance to make it. I personally think the 10% rule is a great way to increase diveristy (i.e. expose some of those rich kids to people not like themselves) but more importantly give those who are starting out behind a fighting chance.
I think the 10% rule is absurd. I grew up dirt poor but got into Harvard because of excellent grades, ultra-high SAT scores, etc. What is the point of accepting unprepared students, whatever their economic status? Colleges should by all means accept students from all different backgrounds, but they should also have some standards. It brings down the level of instruction for everyone if some students are unprepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin