Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:47 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times

Advertisements

I'm still waiting on that promised picture of the scorpion in the light fixture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
I worked with a guy who used to do construction. He said when he found tarantulas, he used to stick them on the side of his hard hat and walk around with them on it to get some good laughs. They don't bother me that much as long as they weren't in my house! I fear snakes far more. And fire ants suck too...that's one of the first thing I had to teach both of my kids...stay away from those big brown piles. Once my friend's sharpei got stung by a scorpion. The swelling in his poor little face made for quite the picture. I had never seen such huge scorpions in my life...they lived in a new house in the Dripping Springs area on several acres.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:22 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Not dangerous (except to your car's paint job), but the enormous flocks of grackles that inhabit certain parts of downtown Austin and UT are a nuisance to beware of! They poop all over everything below them. The areas downtown where rows of trees have been planted along the sidewalk are the favourite environs of this menace.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 16,951 times
bugs would be the least of my worries... what?? hire a pest control and kill these critters??? why not catch them and let them live and be free???? dont use harmful poision to kill unwanted bugs.. that is horrible..

Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 AM

28 posts, read 66,983 times
Not too worried about scorpions, spiders, or snakes. However we are looking to relocate to Austin, and judging by the bat population I would gather you have a pretty healthy mosquito population as well. I was wondering if anybody has any luck with bat boxes, and getting bats to live in them. I've found that to be the most effective way to get rid of mosquitoes as most chemicals are almost as bad for my kids as they are for the insects. Besides, the guano makes great fertilizer.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:13 AM

5 posts, read 11,372 times
When we were in NJ, we were told that bats are picky about living arrangements so you just have to put it up & wait. It can take up to 2 years for them to take a liking to it. But you might get lucky & get some tennants quickly. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
We found 2 more scorpions in our house since my last post. My dog almost ate one of them.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawkfan96 View Post
Not too worried about scorpions, spiders, or snakes. However we are looking to relocate to Austin, and judging by the bat population I would gather you have a pretty healthy mosquito population as well. I was wondering if anybody has any luck with bat boxes, and getting bats to live in them. I've found that to be the most effective way to get rid of mosquitoes as most chemicals are almost as bad for my kids as they are for the insects. Besides, the guano makes great fertilizer.
The bats we have are part of a huge colony that live under a bridge downtown. They migrate in October back to Mexico so I don't imagine you would have one of them taking up permanent residence. But I'm no expert so I could be wrong.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelightful View Post
Hello everyone,

I live in Milwaukee, WI. I'm hoping to move to Austin, TX soon. I'm terrified of centipedes, multipedes and snakes. I know that the climate in Austin is ideal for these kinds of bugs. Some people have told me that I don't have to worry, because Austin is an urban area w/a lot of people. They've said that I really won't run into large bugs and snakes. What do you say?

Thank you.

Dawn
The bugs in Texas are HUGE!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
The bats we have are part of a huge colony that live under a bridge downtown. They migrate in October back to Mexico so I don't imagine you would have one of them taking up permanent residence. But I'm no expert so I could be wrong.
I think there are several different types of bats in Central Texas. There are some living in Innerspace Caverns in Georgetown that aren't from the colony under Congress bridge. We have some out here in Hutto and I believe RR and Pflugerville as well. But, refering to the post above, I don't know for sure what their migration patterns are. I've seen a few bat houses up around here though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin