Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:30 PM

171 posts, read 790,629 times

Advertisements

I lived in Crestview (Central Austin) for many years and never saw ANY bugs/crawlies.
Moved to Georgetown on acreage and it's been like National Geographic nonstop. I have pictures of centipedes, tarantulas, rattlesnakes, scorpions, owls, etc. But worry about it? Nah.
I'm always the winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
The bugs in Texas are HUGE!!!
We occasionally get little 1" long centipedes in your house in Oak Hill, but I have seen some 12" long ones like in this photo below out at Pedernales Falls State Park. And man could he move fast. I was amazed. It was like something from outer space.

This photo is from the City-data San Antonio thread.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 26,062 times
What are those 1" long centipedes?? We just moved into a new apartment near an Army Corp of Engineers reservoir acreage in Houston and have all these little crawlers. We're from California and have never dealt with centipedes in the house - are they dangerous or beneficial like "Daddy Long Legs" spiders?

Old 05-22-2010, 08:23 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Centipedes or millipedes? I occasionally see 1 1/2 inch millipedes in the house.

I also see a few times a year 4-8 inch giant centipedes (black, yellow legs, red or yellow head). The centipedes have a poisonous bite.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:28 PM

371 posts, read 886,756 times
Ok....I didn't really need to see a picture. I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight

Old 06-04-2010, 08:41 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAgoldbear View Post
What are those 1" long centipedes?? We just moved into a new apartment near an Army Corp of Engineers reservoir acreage in Houston and have all these little crawlers. We're from California and have never dealt with centipedes in the house - are they dangerous or beneficial like "Daddy Long Legs" spiders?
Someone repped me on this thread and it reminded me of it. I just found this.

Quote:
Some species of centipede can be hazardous to humans because of their bite. Although a bite to an adult human is usually very painful and may cause severe swelling, chills, fever, and weakness, it is unlikely to be fatal. Bites can be dangerous to small children and those with allergies to bee stings. The bite of larger centipedes can induce anaphylactic shock in such people. Smaller centipedes usually do not puncture human skin.[17]
However, it appears that they have just as valid a role in our ecology as spiders do.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,549 times
That picture is scary!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelightful View Post
Hello everyone,

I live in Milwaukee, WI. I'm hoping to move to Austin, TX soon. I'm terrified of centipedes, multipedes and snakes. I know that the climate in Austin is ideal for these kinds of bugs. Some people have told me that I don't have to worry, because Austin is an urban area w/a lot of people. They've said that I really won't run into large bugs and snakes. What do you say?
Back to the original question: In general, yes, there are more crawling things in Texas, and they are often bigger in size than in Wisconsin. If you truly have a phobia, if you are really "worrying" about them, it probably would be best not to come to Texas. If, on the other hand, you are able to adjust your feelings about these things and just take them in stride, you would probably be fine. You should move to someplace you enjoy, and if these creatures prevent you from enjoying Texas, you should look for another place that suits your sensibilities.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 25,120 times
All depends on where you live... In one of the hi-rise condos, you probably won't see anything.... but get a house near a greenbelt and you increase the odds... I have found one rattlesnake under my porch and someone killed one in the street in front of the house...

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I live in Milwaukee, WI. I'm hoping to move to Austin, TX soon. I'm terrified of centipedes, multipedes and snakes. I know that the climate in Austin is ideal for these kinds of bugs. Some people have told me that I don't have to worry, because Austin is an urban area w/a lot of people. They've said that I really won't run into large bugs and snakes. What do you say?

Thank you.

Dawn

Old 06-06-2010, 01:24 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,283 times
Quote:
Ok....I didn't really need to see a picture. I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight
I really didn't need to read this thread.

I am used to living where the snakes are not poison, the spiders are not deadly, the ants might chew up my house, but are not likely to hurt me, and my biggest concern related to an insect bite is discomfort for a few days.
I let spiders live in my house, I figured they were good for controlling those tiny flying insects, that might nip at me. (I actually put them outside a lot, as I wanted a few, but not too many, in the house).
But I had no reason to ever fear that one might hurt me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin