Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 06:16 PM

7 posts, read 9,381 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody! I was wondering if I could solicit some help from any willing parties. Here is our situation. We're looking to move to Austin from Johnson City, Tennessee. All three of us grew up in or around the city (DC and Hampton Roads, VA), and redneckville Tennessee isn't cutting it for any of us. We're looking to bounce out of here next summer and I'm just doing some preliminary research on the Austin area.

We wanted to move to Florida but the only two pharmacy schools in FL are in Tallahassee and Gainesville. Those areas are not attractive to us because of the proximity to the bible belt south (shivers!). We were thinking Tampa or Miami, but it's a no can do as one of our criteria is pharmacy school for my buddy. Another thing is we absolutely dislike winter, so the south had to be tolerable. That is when I stumbled on Austin. It gives off the feeling that it's warm, progressive, and geared towards the younger crowd. Am I correct? I spent four nights there in 2004 and absolutely loved it.

Ideally, we'd like to live in or near downtown in a safe neighborhood. Downtown in mind, we'd also like to keep our cars, so parking is an issue. The modern living space is also widely accepted by all of us. The updated kitchen, wood floors, and a nice balcony would be musts. Perhaps also bars/restaurants within walking distance as well. We currently rent a 2,200 square foot patio home that was just built in 2008 and we only pay $1,800 a month. I'd like to keep rent around that range if at all possible. This house where I'm from in DC would easily rent for $3k or more. Just browsing craigslist I can get an idea of costs. How much does somebody anticipate a new, modern 3 bedroom condo in a trendy neighborhood to cost? It doesn't have to be completely top of the line, but nice enough to host guests who will appreciate the place.

Sorry for all the info, but any help that you guys can provide would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:23 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,459 times
take a look and see if you like it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/9178936-post5.html

Old 06-08-2009, 08:14 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureJohnsonCityian View Post
Hello everybody! I was wondering if I could solicit some help from any willing parties. Here is our situation. We're looking to move to Austin from Johnson City, Tennessee. All three of us grew up in or around the city (DC and Hampton Roads, VA), and redneckville Tennessee isn't cutting it for any of us. We're looking to bounce out of here next summer and I'm just doing some preliminary research on the Austin area.

We wanted to move to Florida but the only two pharmacy schools in FL are in Tallahassee and Gainesville. Those areas are not attractive to us because of the proximity to the bible belt south (shivers!). We were thinking Tampa or Miami, but it's a no can do as one of our criteria is pharmacy school for my buddy. Another thing is we absolutely dislike winter, so the south had to be tolerable. That is when I stumbled on Austin. It gives off the feeling that it's warm, progressive, and geared towards the younger crowd. Am I correct? I spent four nights there in 2004 and absolutely loved it.

Ideally, we'd like to live in or near downtown in a safe neighborhood. Downtown in mind, we'd also like to keep our cars, so parking is an issue. The modern living space is also widely accepted by all of us. The updated kitchen, wood floors, and a nice balcony would be musts. Perhaps also bars/restaurants within walking distance as well. We currently rent a 2,200 square foot patio home that was just built in 2008 and we only pay $1,800 a month. I'd like to keep rent around that range if at all possible. This house where I'm from in DC would easily rent for $3k or more. Just browsing craigslist I can get an idea of costs. How much does somebody anticipate a new, modern 3 bedroom condo in a trendy neighborhood to cost? It doesn't have to be completely top of the line, but nice enough to host guests who will appreciate the place.

Sorry for all the info, but any help that you guys can provide would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!!!
Y'all can move in but UT pharmacy school is going to be very hard to get in to. And Austin is just as close to the Bible Belt South as Tallahassee and Gainesville are--Florida isn't a very Southern state and Texas is more Southern than most people give it credit for.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
take a look and see if you like it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/9178936-post5.html
I forgot the 360 condominiums

the 360 is already completed and even closer to downtown than Spring. and you won't need to open the windows to listen to the concerts nearby (a park to the north east or Longs Art Center to the south).

there are quite a few units for sale at various brokers.

it's the coolest modern building (exterior at least) in Austin.

oh, links:

http://www.springaustin.com/

http://www.lifesurroundsyou.com/

caveat: NOT EXACTLY A RECOMMENDATION

Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 9,381 times
Thanks for the info!! I truly appreciate it! UT Pharm school is extra tough huh? Well he's got a 4.0 biology degree from a school with the number 2 science program in Virginia..so he's definitely a diligent and persistent student who would be an asset to any school. Hopefully he does get in if he chooses to apply. I know Texas is still the south. After all, W was voted governor there! gullp! I'll have to take that with a grain of salt. We are all opened minded gents honestly looking to just come to a city where at least some people share our mindsets. We aren't hippes or anything, just progressive thinkers. Anywho! Hopefully we do decide to move the the Texas capital! I need a change of scenery!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 PM

102 posts, read 265,840 times
Quote:
All three of us grew up in or around the city (DC and Hampton Roads, VA), and redneckville Tennessee isn't cutting it for any of us. We're looking to bounce out of here next summer and I'm just doing some preliminary research on the Austin area.

We were thinking Tampa or Miami, but it's a no can do as one of our criteria is pharmacy school for my buddy.
FutureJohnsonCityian-I wish you luck for your future move to Austin-i have 2 questions if i may ask-Will this be for Summer 2009 or 2010?-and What will the other 2 be doing here in Austin-looking for work or going to school or both?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:28 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
You'll love Austin and you'll have much less winter than in Tenn.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

Forget what you are reading on Craigslist. All you have to do is go to the Ca board and see a few examples of people thinking they can depend on Craigslist for rentals. That is my opinion anyway.

As for moving to Austin, of course you will be around like minded people, it may be the only truely liberal place in Texas or any other part of the south for that matter.

As far as finding something in your price range even similar to what you have now and or getting into Pharmacy school, that could be something else.

If I were you, I would take a trip to Austin this summer and see for yourself. You may not like it, but it sounds like you would fit in. If I were young, a liberal and wanted to move to Texas, Austin would be my first pick. I am none of the above so I will choose just to visit cause I like the town.

I wish you luck getting into Pharmancy school.

By the way, I see you live in Johnson City, our son almost went there to college many years ago, he had a baseball scholarship. His first wife graduatied from ETSU.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin