U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:00 AM

34 posts, read 92,790 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

Well, I guess the subject line covers it all! LOL

We just found out over the weekend, and he's supposed to start in just about a month from now, which leaves us no time to buy and close on a house. Looks like he'll be renting for a while, which is probably a good thing, so we can see if mortgage rates trend back down in a little while, and not feel so rushed to just buy any house.

Anyone got a 1BR apt available for month to month tenancy? Furnished would be ideal, but I realize that may not be the best option - we aren't going to waste tons of money on those corporate apt complexes.

We are open to most areas, just nothing in a high crime area, of course!

Wow, I can't believe this is finally happening!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:05 AM

3,202 posts, read 5,189,944 times
congrats!

catch your breath - then tell us a little more (budget, vibe, what side of town he's working on, etc.)

Welcome to Texas!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:27 AM

16,791 posts, read 44,060,595 times
Yes, its important to live on the same side of town where you work, otherwise commuting is a b****.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Thank you! We are both soo excited, and really happy at the same time. Goodbye NY!!! I won't miss it at all, and neither will he. We LOOVE Texas!!!

OK, now onto your questions:

He's field sales, so he works all over town. The territory is "Austin Proper", but he has accts in RR, Pflugerville, Leander, Buda, Kyle, Dripping Springs, etc. Those would be the outliers, and he has plenty within downtown Austin as well. So, he's commuting everywhere, all the time - the only part of his territory where it's a bit light is East Austin, although he's got a few there as well.

So, at least in that regard, he can pretty much live anywhere. Not that this is a huge thing to consider, but I would expect him to spend many weekends in the Houston suburbs of Kingwood, where his brother lives. During the week, he'll be pretty busy working non-stop to shape up this territory from the shambles it is currently in, so I'm fairly certain that he won't venture out too much, probably mostly for Round Rock games and to drive around looking for 1 acre properties (his dream) within decent commuting distance for me, when I finally sell our home and complete the transition...

As for the budget, well, we'd like to keep it as low as possible, since we'd much rather use the money for a mortgage payment. Sheesh, we are both landlords here in NY, and neither one of us has actually ever been a tenant before. It's going to be weird...

Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 AM

139 posts, read 317,220 times
Don't plan on interest rates trending much lower. They are at record levels already. I'd plan to buy in a year or less.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:00 AM

8,723 posts, read 17,413,387 times
Based on the variety of work destinations, and the fact that you are renting initially, and you didn't mention kids... I'd suggest Allandale. Possibly NW Hills if you like the scenery. If you don't mind an older apartment, a reasonably priced 1BR should not be a problem in either area.

Allandale is the perfect location if you have to be all over the city -- easy access to all the highways, plus the major roads which can be used as alternate routes. Allandale Rd/2222/290 (same road, different names) is a great option for crossing the city east-west, and continues east (as 290) all the way to Houston. Although 71/I-10 is generally faster to central Houston, 290 will take you to the northern outskirts, so it is a better route for places like the Woodlands and Kingwood.

Downtown would be another option; more fun, but not quite as convenient to the population centers in the north.

South Austin is full of character, fun, and easy access to downtown, but driving to the northern parts is painstaking due to traffic bottlenecks. Because there is more population north of the river than south, I can't really recommend south for someone who needs to commute all over the city.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:13 AM

4,494 posts, read 10,183,648 times
You might want to check out corporate apartments - they're going to be pricey, but you can rent them furnished month-to-month. Oakwood is one of the companies, but do a search on corporate apartments in Austin and you should get some hits.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM

16,791 posts, read 44,060,595 times
I'm not real familiar with apartments since we have owned our own home for years. Especially rentals month to month, but there are a number of nice complexes along MoPac, Loop 1, south but very close to downtown, between Town Lake and Capital of Texas Highway. Its a real pretty area, close to shopping and they would provide pretty good freeway access no matter what direction you wanted to go on business, as well as all the entertainment downtown.

It wasn't to long ago that I read one of the leading local economists is predicting a housing shortage in 2010 because of the slow down in building and large numbers of people who are moving here. You might not want to put off buying too long.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 AM

Thanks for all the tips! Our plan is to buy as quickly as possible - I'd say 3 months max before we own a home in Austin. We tend to work fast, and we've never been renters before, so I know that it won't be long before he wants our own place to call home.

Have you seen interest rates lately? In the past week they are up over a point! Bernanke better step in adn do something, the market is too soft to justify amost 6% at this point in time. I'll be watching the rates daily, and locking in once it drops down a bit.

Kids? What kids? Nope, no kids, except the furry variety, and I wouldn't put them through the stress of moving multiple times anyhow, or dealing with finding pet friendly apartments. They'll stay home w/me, and we'll fly them in once we have our new permamnet home secured...

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 15,127 times
you must take time to enjoy the surrounding cities such as dripping springs,wimberly,blanco... they are so nice and relaxing.. again, congrats on the job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin