Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,502 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are moving to Texas. My job is in San Antonio and his in Austin. We would like to live between this two cities...any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I went to college in San Marcos and absolutley loved it. A really cute town with a lot to do, and the river going through it is beautiful. There are older Victorian style homes close to the town square and newer developments a little further out.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemato View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are moving to Texas. My job is in San Antonio and his in Austin. We would like to live between this two cities...any recommendations?
If you want to live close to the freeway...

Without question I would pick New Braunfels, TX. It is closer to SA, but the traffic going into SA is worse. Go have lunch at the Grist Mill and dancing next door at Gruene Hall. Gruene Hall Official Home Page

A close second, if you really want to split the distance more equally, San Marcos. A nice college town, which has college town issues.

Or if you are both willing to drive a little bit farther to live in a heavenly bit of the hill country, Wimberley, TX. Just NW of San Marcos.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 PM

35 posts, read 124,632 times
It really depends on what part of San Antonio and Austin that you are working in.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:28 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,094 times
San Marcos would probably be about as close to a good halfway point as any.

Other choices are New Braunfels (closer to SA, almost an hour from Austin) or Kyle & Buda (which are much closer to Austin, almost touching the southern tip of Austin). With Kyle & Buda, it would be a longer drive to SA.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I would pick San Marcos or New Braunfels.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 PM

13 posts, read 37,558 times
I'm partial to New Braunfels because I've lived here for so long. It really is a great town though, great location, great parks, great rivers and lake close by, shopping, history, great food, fun town events like Wurstfest, wassailfest, county fair, etc. and it has the small town feel with all the amenities included.
San Marcos is also a very nice town with many of the same things to offer. It does have Texas State which to some is a drawback. Just depends on your preference. SM is closer to Austin and NB is closer to SA.
If you want to get away from the "city" or 35 corridor, Canyon Lake, Wimberly, Boerne, Spring Branch, are all nice places also

Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I have really enjoyed NB when visiting an uncle there. The only negative thing I have ever heard about it, besides the crowds at Wurstfest celebrations, is that it is a closed community, not really welcoming to outsiders. This I heard from a good friend who married a man who had grown up in NB back in the 1970's, but she, his wife from Palastine TX never felt welcome there.

Hopefully it has gotten over this small townish attitude.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:52 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
San Marcos & Kyle along 35 and Kyle Parkway area is booming its a good time to buy.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:54 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
If your husband was a gentleman, you could live in NB, so that he would saddle himself with the long commute, not his wife. If you really don't mind driving though, San Marcos is nice. If you want hill country at a discount, that's the place. The town square in SM if a really charming mix of old texas (with the courthouse in the middle, barbershops, and general stores but with newer mom-n-pop stores that come with a younger college town) It's kinda like that town square from Back to the Future with a twang. To be fair, if you really need a chain store to get your staples from, there are Targets, etc. along the highway - plus the biggest outlet outlet mall in Texas. I think SM is better, but there is haggle room about the commute you may need to have with the DH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin