Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:31 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times

Advertisements

Remember when I was telling everyone you should be suspicious of the "mother with small baby" rumor? The truth is now out. ONE complaint. Not a by transplant, not by a mother with a newborn. Rather, it was a local with an agenda.

One 911 call - and an expired permit - silenced Shady Grove concert | Austin Music Source

The complainer was a male, local, and the Neighborhood Representative of the City of Austin Live Music Task Force. This person knew that a temporary permit allowing Shady Grove to operate at the 85db (normal residence) level had expired; so he called in an official complaint. A 911 call, no less, at 8:30PM. Hope no one was needing assistance with a car wreck or burglary during that time. Here is another good link with specifics about who is targeting Shady Grove, Gueros, and Freddies:

Keep Austin Quiet?

Quote:
Gary Etie says that “Neighborhood Groups, Council Member Morrison, certain City of Austin attorneys, et al, brought over an existing 70 dB limit that was found in the Zoning section of the Code, Chapter 25-2, and brought that language over to the Outdoor Music Venue Permit Amendment that was passed just prior to SXSW, while everybody was too busy to do anything to stop them. An Outdoor Music Venue Permit is a separate ‘Noise and Sound’ permit, issued under the Noise and Sound Ordinance, and must be obtained in addition to the Building Permit that establishes Use as a Restaurant or Cocktail Lounge.”
If this doesn't prove that this is targeting of these businesses, and that it has nothing to do with any noise or neighbor disturbance, then I don't know what will...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 04:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
So the folks supposedly "helping" the live music venues are actually hurting them ?
This guy should be ousted from the board. He's not helping live music at all; seems he has his own agenda and being on the inside is furthering it.

Here's what I found on the purpose of the Live Music Task Force:
City of Austin - Live Music Task Force

"Austin's reputation as the "Live Music Capital of the World" strengthens the community's creative economy and attracts a diverse populace. The City of Austin recognizes the importance of the local music scene; therefore, the City Council, Manager and Mayor have created the Live Music Task Force to address current issues, developments and challenges confronting Austin's musicians and music community."

Old 06-21-2009, 07:08 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
It wasn't a sleeping baby, or even a Californian.

Austin360 Outs Unplugged at the Grove 9-1-1 Caller - Austinist

You can even hear the 911 call....yes, 911. The guy who called, Scott Trainer, is apparently the neighborhood representative on the Live Music Taskforce, which makes me wonder what the actual purpose of the task force is. Anyway, interesting link and reading.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:07 PM

175 posts, read 303,902 times
Unfortunate.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:30 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times
They should have it where if you move downtown you must sign a paper understanding Live Music will be going on and that you if you can't accept it move.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:32 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
They should have it where if you move downtown you must sign a paper understanding Live Music will be going on and that you if you can't accept it move.
The area was a quiet residential neighborhood long before the restaurants moved in and started hosting live music. The home owners have the right to the quiet enjoyment of their homes.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:34 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
It wasn't a sleeping baby, or even a Californian.

Austin360 Outs Unplugged at the Grove 9-1-1 Caller - Austinist

You can even hear the 911 call....yes, 911. The guy who called, Scott Trainer, is apparently the neighborhood representative on the Live Music Taskforce, which makes me wonder what the actual purpose of the task force is. Anyway, interesting link and reading.
Yes, and in the recording of the phone call you an hear how annoyingly loud the music was.

Quote:
—in the recording of the call, the music's loud enough that it can be heard in the background.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:12 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
So in that case, I believe that all of the restaurants and clubs in that section of town should just sell to developers of condos and move to other parts of the city that actually want them, and areas around Austin that would welcome them and then all the people in that neighborhood can have their quiet, "suburban" neighborhood back and other people that want these venues can enjoy walking to them and listening to live music and having some good food, and the people out near Barton can have their quiet condo views. I bet that ACL fest will, at some near future date, also be relocated. Remember that they did relocate the Old Settler's Fest because of a new residential area built around the Old Settler's Park.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
They actually relocated the Old Settler's Music Fest because some idiot in the Round Rock government decided that camping would not be allowed (the performers frequently camped out at the park and had "jams" after hours) because the hotel proprietors in Round Rock wanted the revenue. The year after that declaration was made, Round Rock lost Old Settler's Music Fest (and the money it brought to the community, including the visitors who stayed in the aforementioned hotels) and a wiser community got it.

I remember because it was quite convenient for us to attend the festival when it was in Round Rock and it's a far piece for us to go now - I was following the situation at the time.

It would be a crying shame for that area to become nothing but condos - a real nail in the coffin of Austin.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:33 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
They actually relocated the Old Settler's Music Fest because some idiot in the Round Rock government decided that camping would not be allowed (the performers frequently camped out at the park and had "jams" after hours) because the hotel proprietors in Round Rock wanted the revenue. The year after that declaration was made, Round Rock lost Old Settler's Music Fest (and the money it brought to the community, including the visitors who stayed in the aforementioned hotels) and a wiser community got it.

I remember because it was quite convenient for us to attend the festival when it was in Round Rock and it's a far piece for us to go now - I was following the situation at the time.

It would be a crying shame for that area to become nothing but condos - a real nail in the coffin of Austin.
See what greed gets you--NOTHING!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin