Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:31 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziner View Post
It seems to be more prevalent in Texas, but hanging crosses on your wall is a decorating trend. They are collected in different sizes and hung in a various configurations. Most of them are relatively inexpensive, hence a big impact for not a lot of money.
This.

I have noticed this in many homes here, and not always with people I would describe as overtly religious. (Sometimes, yes, but not always.) It seems to be a big thing to collect iron crosses and hang them in a pattern on the walls. I wouldn't describe my friends who decorate in this way as the proselytizing sort, if that is what you are concerned about. I would say, however, compared to other places I've lived, people here are more comfortable sharing their faith openly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 12:33 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziner View Post
It seems to be more prevalent in Texas, but hanging crosses on your wall is a decorating trend. They are collected in different sizes and hung in a various configurations. Most of them are relatively inexpensive, hence a big impact for not a lot of money.

I absolutely agree with this and it often tends to go along with decorating in a Southwestern/Mission style. I really don't think it typically represents any intensity of religiosity. Persons who decorate in this fashion might have a generically Christian belief and sentiments, but aren't necessarily even very observant or unfailing church-goers.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I agree. My sister is chrstian, but not a bible thumper by a long shot. She decorates with and collects crosses of various styles and has them stuck on the walls around her house. She just likes the look of them, she's not holding prayer sessions under them. You won't get lynched in RR for not being Christian. I know some atheists and some christians alike and they get along just fine.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:50 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
This thread just struck me as funny. It's almost as if we're apologizing for it.

What do you equate being religious with OP?

I also did notice when doing my search on the MLS for homes that there were an abundance of homes with crosses. I usually saw the big, black, ornate iron ones. They had a Spanish look to them.

Maybe the transplants are really vampires. Maybe they reside under the bridges in Austin where people can point and say...see there? that's Austin weird! But not to worry, as long as they're marketable they're OK.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:08 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
I wasn't apologizing for displays of crosses, merely trying to explain it. It's more cultural than religious per se. Even in the USSR a lot of Russians who weren't overtly religious and might even have been atheistic still displayed collections of icons around their apartments, because they were so culturally significant and were typically antiques. The OP mentioned coming from Sweden, an historically Lutheran country where the display of religious imagery is likely to have been less florid than in the culturally Catholic-influenced American Southwest, including Hispanic-influenced Texas. I think it's primarily a cultural thing. By the same token, if you see concrete garden statues of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Joseph or St Francis in various neighborhoods, I wouldn't presume the houses are all inhabited by staunch, practicing Catholics with fervent religious devotion to these saints; more likely, it's a culturally relevant expression of a felt need for garden decor. The OP may be more used to garden gnomes.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 49,745 times
It's in the bible belt here.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:33 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
I have a framed tortilla with Jesus on it. Is that wrong?

Old 06-13-2009, 03:35 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
I'm in Cedar park and I haven't noticed many crosses hanging on walls. We aren't very religous (not much at all) and have never had any issues with people about religion. I've been invited to church services and have politly declined and it ended there. I would worry too much.

Frankly, I'm surprised, because most people staging a house for sale will remove pictures and things like that to show the house.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:40 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I have been looking at homes in Austin on the MLS for a year, and there are plenty with crosses, sometimes many multiples. They don't seem to take them down when trying to sell. My guess is that they are really a fashion/decorator statement rather than a statement of religiosity. I grew up in Wisconsin and Texas and am currently in California, and I never have known anyone with multiple crosses up, not even in Texas when I was there (in the 70s). And it's not because everyone I know is less religious. I have a friend who is Catholic and goes to church 7 days a week, and she doesn't have crosses up (and she is Hispanic, from Columbia.) I think its just the thing right now in Texas, and I would not think it refelcts an extreme religious viewpoint.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:43 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,770 times
Funny someone said that about the house we were selling in CA. Not so much as the crosses but as the religious carving I have of the "The Last Supper". It was carved in marble so I bought it and used it as art work. Fascinating detail. Then I have a antique picture of a nun with hands in prayer position on another wall. Then I had a cross. The realtor when we were selling thought I should tone it down because most people aren't religious. The funny thing is neither am I. I lean more toward zen buddishm. Live and let live.

So long story short they may just use it as decoration. I did take it down when I was selling because I didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable.

Lived in TX almost 3 years and everyone I have met is pretty much live and let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin