Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Christianity is ingrained in American culture not just Texas
True, however, I have lived where there was no assumption that someone was Christian. In fact, there were few overt displays of religion, as it was considered a private personal matter. There was more of an effort to be inclusive and respectful instead of assuming that everyone was in the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
yeah, why should I care what someone who hates christians or christianity thinks when I decorate my house with crosses. Which I actually don't. I have one that was given to me as a gift and it sits on my mantle. And why would someone equate that to christians so far back in history, that one christian nowadays would start the crusades or spanish inquisition. Seems to me the religion starting the most hoo-ha nowadays are extremist muslims and atheistic North Koreans, but I don't hear anyone saying anything about that.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
True, however, I have lived where there was no assumption that someone was Christian. In fact, there were few overt displays of religion, as it was considered a private personal matter. There was more of an effort to be inclusive and respectful instead of assuming that everyone was in the majority.
Crosses in homes aren't overt displays of religion. And anyway, you aren't there anymore, you're here. I doubt it was actually an effort to be more inclusive and respectful but more an attempt to not get sued or to let the pc crowd tell them what to do. I don't see a christian person on every corner chasing people with bibles. I think people here aren't afraid to offend someone with their christianity but most of them won't read bible verses to you every 5 seconds either. Anyway, seems like Christianity and conservative values haven't done us too terribly bad though, since Texas seems to be one of the favorite more stable states to move to in this terrible economy right now. Other than what I said above, I'll 3rd mimimom.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 AM

Default I belive you just illustrated my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
why should I care what someone who hates christians or christianity
Who said they hate Christians of Christianity? That's a completely hysterical misinterpretation of what I posted.

Of course, marginalization of non-Christians when they bring up these types of issues as "Christian haters" only provides evidence of my position.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:45 AM

Default Do you actually believe this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Anyway, seems like Christianity and conservative values haven't done us too terribly bad though, since Texas seems to be one of the favorite more stable states to move to in this terrible economy right now.
Do you really even believe what your saying? You really think that its conservative values and Christianity that has led to Texas' economy? Are you sure it wasn't more about the industries we have here and random economic factors that have caused the Texas economy to be marginally better than other places?

Please.

I bet if we asked some economists they wouldn't equate Texas' current economic condition with any religion.

I can't wait to move.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Who said they hate Christians of Christianity? That's a completely hysterical misinterpretation of what I posted.

Of course, marginalization of non-Christians when they bring up these types of issues as "Christian haters" only provides evidence of my position.
Well, it's not love so what else should I call it?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Do you really even believe what your saying? You really think that its conservative values and Christianity that has led to Texas' economy? Are you sure it wasn't more about the industries we have here and random economic factors that have caused the Texas economy to be marginally better than other places?

Please.

I bet if we asked some economists they wouldn't equate Texas' current economic condition with any religion.

I can't wait to move.
Maybe I should have reworded that. But conservatives and liberals do handle business different ways and Texas was more conservative once, hence the way business is conducted or run or treated or handled is different than say in California, Oregon, Mass., etc....

Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 AM

BTW, I usually always believe what I'm saying, but sometimes the translation from my brain to the keyboard doesn't always end up right.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:29 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
I think miasoff is missing certain subtleties here. In my house in Delaware I have the same religious objects displayed as when I was in Austin and subsequently in London, since I've owned them all since I lived in Austin or before. There is a large print of La Virgen de Guadalupe in the sunroom -- very prominent. There is a crucifix above the inside of the front door -- not very visible or prominent because of the way the small foyer is designed. There is a moderately large pewter plaque portraying Our Lady of Guadapupe in the home office, as well as an Orthodox style metal crucifix with "passion group" on a stand on top of a book case in the office. The only object that is really placed as a religious object per se is the front door crucifix -- it's a very traditional Catholic custom. The images of Our Lady of Guadalupe are really more predicated on my identification with the cultural aspect of this particular Mexican cultus of the Blessed Virgin than reflecting any intention on my part that these be devotional objects or statements of my religion. The Greek Orthodox crucifix in the office was bought at a charity sale in Austin raising money for AIDS Services of Austin and was a chance to buy a decorative object and contribute to a good cause. Probably I wouldn't choose these decorative objects if I weren't a Christian, but they really aren't there as some in your face statement of religious belief. Besides, it's my house and I decorate to suit my tastes for my own enjoyment. Most of my stuff has no religious significance, though I do also have some objects relating to HM Queen Elizabeth II and to their late majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (latterly the Queen Mother). Does that mean I'm trying to push monarchy on anyone who enters my house? Hardly, and I don't think anyone would make such a silly inference. But those artifacts do have some personal meaning to me that isn't narrowly to do with nationality or politics in the strict sense. Actually, in both religion and politics I'm one of those extreme liberals, so neither Christian religious images nor British Monarchist paraphenalia give clues to accurately stereotyping me. Just sayin'

Old 06-14-2009, 11:42 AM

105 posts, read 380,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Now, I find that interesting, because as a real estate agent I see a lot more houses than most people, and I don't recall seeing crosses in many of the houses that I've shown, at all. Few enough that it's something to be remarked upon when I do.
one of my favorite past times is showing my husband all the crosses I see in real estate listings photos. It's crazy! Some days it seems like they are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin