U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 PM

16,791 posts, read 46,423,130 times

Advertisements

America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

113 Texas schools made the list.

9 schools in Austin made the list.

Place School
35 Liberal Arts and Science Academy
72 Westlake
88 Westwood
466 L.C. Anderson
696 McNeil
1007 James Bowie
1109 Stephen F. Austin
1172 W. Charles Akins
1241 McCallum

Two in Round Rock made the list
576 Round Rock
1297 Stony Point
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:43 PM

322 posts, read 709,443 times
And ill add these two to your list
694 Cedar Park
851 Dripping Springs

Does anyone know what happened to Lake Travis?

Old 06-13-2009, 02:10 PM

6,329 posts, read 17,074,901 times
FYI, for those who don't know how the rankings are produced:

Quote:
Public schools are ranked according to a ratio devised by Jay Mathews: the number of Advanced Placement, Intl. Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge tests taken by all students at a school in 2008 divided by the number of graduating seniors. All of the schools on the list have an index of at least 1.000; they are in the top 6 percent of public schools measured this way.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:29 PM

16,791 posts, read 46,423,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
And ill add these two to your list
694 Cedar Park
851 Dripping Springs

Does anyone know what happened to Lake Travis?
Ahh, good, I see

1461 Wimberley made it too.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:04 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,583,199 times
I wouldn't give a lot of credibility to this list. It says more about the school's demographics than it does about the quality of education being offered. Same thing with the exemplary vs. respectable vs. acceptable etc. rankings that our local elementary schools receive.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:15 PM

6,329 posts, read 17,074,901 times
Quote:
I wouldn't give a lot of credibility to this list. It says more about the school's demographics than it does about the quality of education being offered.
It predicts how well kids from those schools will do in college. Colleges do know which schools make the list.

The reasons one might attribute to why certain schools are on the list and not on the list might be valid (demographics) but it doesn't change the fact that these are the high schools most likely to produce successful college students.

Steve

Old 06-13-2009, 04:17 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,531,133 times
Some schools must have deserved their spot then, Jennibc. Every school has its challenges, but demographics are mixed for some of them. Good to see so many from our area made it.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:20 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,583,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Some schools must have deserved their spot then, Jennibc. Every school has its challenges, but demographics are mixed for some of them. Good to see so many from our area made it.
I am not saying it is an issue of whether it is deserved or not, what I am saying is that many of those schools are in high income areas (or are magnet schools) so it's not the schools that are outstanding it is the students that are either pushed or driven to succeed, it is not because the schools are of high quality per se. That's my only point.

I graduated from a top tier law school (according to the revered US News and World Reports list) and I will tell you the education provided sucked. What made us top tiered was the fact that most attending students scored above the 93rd percentile on the LSAT and had university averages well above a 3.5. I am a little skeptical regarding lists like these because of the methodology used.

You can read about some of the criticisms of this ranking here Best High Schools: The Reaction | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

We/they are having the same debate on the Seattle board //www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...p-100-a-2.html

Old 06-13-2009, 06:32 PM

8,239 posts, read 16,489,519 times
A lot of those 'top' schools are magnet schools that can pick and choose which kids can attend. I would love to see how those top public schools stack up against the top private schools, but again- private schools choose who they want and that skews all the numbers.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:40 PM

324 posts, read 1,253,982 times
westwood and mcneil are not austin schools, they are round rock (responding to the orginial poster that counted them as austin schools). as i have said many times here, demographics is what it's about. I'm done with educating kids so i am not going to do any research that no longer matters to me, but if you look up any of those schools on just4kids.org where they are compared with schools with the same demographics, you might be surprised with the results.
easy to get kids with highly educated/successful parents to compare favorably to a school with demographics that are mixed. doesn't it stand to reason that westlake would out rank a more mainstream school such as adkins when they are using data like number of ap courses taken/ap tests taken per seniors enrolled.
not slamming westlake or adkins, just making a point that is important for folks who are still trying to get their kids the best educational opportunities possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin