U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:49 PM

40 posts, read 105,018 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm seriously considering moving to Austin for many many reasons. I've looked at different cities around the nation and Austin stands out like a glorious and beautiful sore thumb.

There's only one thing I'm left wondering.

The heat.

How bad is it? Is it unbelievably unbearable or not nearly as bad as most make it out to be?

I live in Michigan and our late summers have me on my knees. High 90s and "off-the-scale" humidity. For a while (almost two months in the summer of '07), I stayed in North Carolina. That wasn't as bad as Michigan's horrible heat to me for some strange and unknown reason...

Any information on this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 04:57 PM

1,961 posts, read 5,817,881 times
not horrendous but it does get hot. Usually it isn't humid so it is bearable.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:15 PM

102 posts, read 251,003 times
.Its 98 degrees right now with 100 degree heat index. Maybe its a little early in the summer because July and August are the hot months definitely but its really not as bad as it sounds. You will acclimate to the heat here and just drink plenty of fluids and you will be fine. There are plenty of places in the Austin area that you can go swimming and cool off.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:35 PM

8,949 posts, read 11,476,362 times
When I moved to Austin from Connecticut I found the heat oppressive for the first few years. I'm used to it now. I don't like it, but I am used to it.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:47 PM

10,148 posts, read 18,668,975 times
It's been really bad the last few days. Last summer had hotter temps (at this point in the summer, anyway) but not the kind of humidity we are experiencing now. I kind of preferred last summer.

If you had trouble with Michigan heat, you'll probably won't like the heat here. The biggest difference is that even if we might be slightly less humid, we just don't get a break in the heat (unless it rains) until late October. With the heat you experienced in Michigan, you probably just had to wait a few weeks before cooler weather occurred.

You may get acclimated to it, though... I did. And a lot of people prefer it to a long winter.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:05 PM

418 posts, read 1,663,685 times
It's really hot, and while it's not as humid as the East Coast, it can still get fairly humid. It's not as dry as west Texas or the West Coast. You will get some 90+ degree days in March, though it's not the average. You will have some summers where the highs are in the upper 90s -- or even above 100 -- for several consecutive weeks.

OTOH, every place in town is air conditioned. Some days I went straight from the house to the car to wherever I was going and never got hot b/c I never left AC.

While winters are certainly much milder than Michigan, they're still not consistently pleasant, like in Florida or Arizona. Lots of grey and rain, plenty of weeks in the 40s.

I actually found myself getting less acclimated to the heat. The first summer and a half I was fine, and even kind of liked it. Then one day something clicked, and I just thought: "This sucks. No more."

Old 06-14-2009, 06:40 PM

362 posts, read 990,660 times
Also from Michigan and easily adapted to the hot summer. Definitely not missing the winter at all. Michigan was nice enough to snow on me every time I returned last year, from November until April. That was completely uncalled for!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 PM

8,239 posts, read 16,496,012 times
It's been crazy hot the past week or so. I don't mind it, but lots of people are just staying indoors. I knod of get into it, at a certain point you get so hot you don't even notice it anymore. Make no mistake....AUSTIN IS HOT!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:33 PM

786 posts, read 2,629,759 times
I suspect Michigan summers are very similar to Southern Ontario summers. I would rather have 98 degrees in Austin than 85 in Toronto. The humidity is much lower than around the great lakes, and there is usually a breeze, even though it may be a warm/hot breeze.

On they few days when it does get humid because of incoming weather, it can be very uncomfortable. When the breeze dies down you also start to cook pretty quick.

Right now my body keeps thinking this is mid-August of a hot Ontario summer.

The best way I can describe it is a dry sauna. If you can take heat without high humidity, you should like it here.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 PM

1,281 posts, read 4,069,496 times
It's HOT and it stays that way every single day for months. It's not humid, though, and it *does* cool off enough at night to be pleasant (usually a breeze as well). Just limit your outdoor activities to the morning or evening, and make sure you drink plenty of water and you'll be fine.

One interesting thing here is that you don't get sunburned too badly (or at least I don't). I'm assuming the ozone is just really thick around this area because we don't seem to get the damaging UV rays that you do in other places (I got burnt to a crisp in Florida a few summers ago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin