Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:28 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
The number of Californians moving to Texas....is RIDICULOUS!! Can't you find some other state to pick on?
Can't you find some other thread to be an a$$ on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 06:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
3 acres is a lot to water, I suspect you would prob need that much $ to keep 3 acres watered here as well. Electricity is 200 this past month for 2800 sq ft, but typically runs 100 or less in the winter.

Gas runs around $20.
I cannot believe anyone without sports fields will want grass on 3 acres. In Texas you will be watering constantly, spending tons of money. When water gets more precious than it is now - the water bill will hurt even more. And the grass will probably die when water rationing is required.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I cannot believe anyone without sports fields will want grass on 3 acres. In Texas you will be watering constantly, spending tons of money. When water gets more precious than it is now - the water bill will hurt even more. And the grass will probably die when water rationing is required.
Agreed. Maybe they should start doing some sliding scale pricing to deter people from such wasteful practices. I don't think people realize that most of the grasses in the residential areas of Central Texas are not native and thus need a lot more water. If I'm reading this right Bermuda needs 60% and St. Augustine 100% more water than native Buffalo grass:

Steve Dejka

Old 06-15-2009, 08:28 PM

326 posts, read 764,671 times
We have Bermuda and don't water it at all. It turns to brown in the hot summer and always come back in the fall. Actually it speads everywhere that I don't want it to be.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:55 PM

22 posts, read 91,592 times
Electricity will be more expensive in an older home -- and there are plenty of those in Lakeway.
Also depends on square footage.

Propane in Lakeway, in most areas, I believe.

Water can be expensive. Go with low water landscape.,

Old 06-25-2009, 08:45 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
How many gallons is $800 for water?? I got a water bill for 62,000 gallons (it was a typo by the way) and it was for $123. 62k can fill 3 swimming pools!! What do you get for $800??

Old 06-26-2009, 07:01 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,017,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
How many gallons is $800 for water?? I got a water bill for 62,000 gallons (it was a typo by the way) and it was for $123. 62k can fill 3 swimming pools!! What do you get for $800??

um, stage 3 water restrictions?

Go ahead you selfish bastard, you deserve 3 acres of green lawn.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 9,867 times
Default a little more clarity on my first post...

I guess I should have been more specific, I do not water all 3 acres, I only water about 1 acre of that.10,000 sf of it is grass and the rest are slopes with groundcover ...a lot of our property is terraced, and the county REQUIRES you to plant groundcover on all of it for slope protection. all of the landscaping including the grass is drought tollerant, we are very careful about our water usage..we use timers and only water at night.I would never "waste" water..we also have a very large pool (approx.26,000 gal) that also includes a waterfall and slide. I am sure that the pool is a big reason for the large water bill as well.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:01 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
You'd probably have a huge financial hit if you sell now. Probably best to just stay put out there in California.
The markets are different in different parts of California. If you don't actually know the situation in the OP's location, this advice may be completely in error. Some areas have lost very little value, some have taken huge hits, and many are somewhere in between.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:27 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronang26 View Post
I guess I should have been more specific, I do not water all 3 acres, I only water about 1 acre of that.10,000 sf of it is grass and the rest are slopes with groundcover ...a lot of our property is terraced, and the county REQUIRES you to plant groundcover on all of it for slope protection. all of the landscaping including the grass is drought tollerant, we are very careful about our water usage..we use timers and only water at night.I would never "waste" water..we also have a very large pool (approx.26,000 gal) that also includes a waterfall and slide. I am sure that the pool is a big reason for the large water bill as well.
This is neither here nor there, but it is a topic that interests me.

Why do you need a 3500 sq ft house? Do you have a large family?

I am not bashing you in anyway, this is an honest interest of mine that I have been pondering for some time. Many thread on city-data allude to people needing 3500 to 4000 sq ft of space to live in. I just can't imagine wanting a house that big. How do you keep in clean? What is the need for so much room?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: