Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 PM

10 posts, read 17,335 times

Advertisements

Hello, looking to relocate from Phila to Austin. After 7 years in Phila where people are rude, violence is high, everyone wants a hand out (that is how I perceive it anyways) I feel I am ready for a change. A bit scared because I have no friends down that way and single so doing it alone, but what are some reasons and not so good reasons to move to Austin? I have only heard good things from people so wondering if it is all hype. I am very outdoorsy, active, love to drink and boat, and love water... Also, is it hard to meet people? It was hard out here on the east coast.. took me awhile. Any feedback is very much appreciated!!! Thank you!

Last edited by pixie30; 06-15-2009 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:54 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,631 times
Austin is pretty good for urban-outdoors activities but if you truly like real outdoors, consider Denver or Portland also. (Portland isn't too far from the ocean.)

Austin is over hyped but it's still a good place, but, as always, a lot depends on the individual's temperament and interests. Much of what makes Austin "unique" is in a relative small area in central part of the city; outside of this, it's pretty much anywhere suburb USA.

Philadelphia is a horrible city no matter how you look at it.

There's no welfare culture in Texas like you'll find the Northeast - people are more libertarian and entrepreneurial here. Low taxes and low business regulation draw others from red tape states.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
There really isn't anything to do in Austin. Sorry but try Denver, Dallas, or Houston.

However, somebody just posted photos of barton springs and hamilton pool. Wow. Looks like fun.

Last edited by artsyguy; 06-15-2009 at 06:11 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 04:50 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Come and visit is the best advice I can give. Look at the housing. Drive I35 at rush hour. Eat at Gueros. Experience the good and the bad. Austin is overhyped, but most people like it here quite a bit. The attitude, pace and culture are very different from the northeast. If you hate the northeast as munch as you say, you may really enjoy Austin.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:03 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,277 times
austin is a bad place.try florida. they have millions and millions of new jobs and have lots of free land there giving away to new residents. good luck in fl.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
Ha ha it's not a bad place. I think it depends on what you do there and who you interact with, what part of the city you are near, otherwise, it's an okay town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
austin is a bad place.try florida. they have millions and millions of new jobs and have lots of free land there giving away to new residents. good luck in fl.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:31 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
OK, I was born and raised in Philly and think it's an absolutely wonderful city. But I will bite my tongue and not say a lot of what I would like to really say and try to just give you the nuts and bolts.

Austin is a lot different from Philly. It is a much smaller city, so if you are expecting the same amount of diversity, same caliber and number of museums, etc., you'll be disappointed. But despite being smaller, it is much more spread out, so you can't walk everywhere like you do now. And public transportation is very limited. Also, the "main" park - Zilker and surrounding Lady Bird Lake area is nice, but simply cannot compare to Fairmont Park and the Schuylkill River, after all it is the largest park located in a metropolitan area in the country (bigger than even Central Park in NYC). We do have lakes, but we are a good 4 hour drive from a beach/ocean. You can not just go "down the shore" on a whim like you can in Philly. Also, you've got a good day's drive (at least) to any kind of mountain or skiing. You may be glad about not having snow at first, but for an outdoorsy-type, you may soon begin to miss the short 2-hour drive to the Poconos. Even if the skiing there isn't that great, it's better than no skiing at all.

There isn't great Italian food down here, but there's great Mexican food. And we don't have cheeseteaks, but we do have barbeque. The people are nice, but frankly I think Philadelphians are really nice too. And there is poverty everywhere; it's just not as concentrated here. But you will see people asking for money at every intersection. Crime here is low, but again I think that just has to do with being smaller.

There is a big college scene which is concentrated on 6th Street downtown - think South Street only smaller. So if you are younger, and enjoy that sort of thing, you should probably have no problem meeting people.

I would really advise you to come down and visit first.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
"Outdoorsy" could mean many things. We don't have winter sports at all. But if you like being outdoors in mild to hot weather, you have many choices.

Like to cycle? Tons of cycling and organized rides from April to October. Like to run? All year everywhere including the Capital 10K run, a marathon, the Bun Run, etc.

Boating? The entire Highland Lakes chain from Lake Buchanan to Lady Bird Lake have very high water quality and lots of activity. Canoe or kayak on Lady Bird Lake. Waterski, wakeboard, etc. on the others.

Triathlons? Multiple.

Golf? Almost all year.

Tennis? Almost all year outdoors.

Crime isn't low just because of size. Our violent crime rate (per population) is simply very low compared to any mid-size and up city.

As for meeting people I suggest that all depends on you. Austin people are friendly. Find a group with common interests and I bet you'll meet people.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:14 PM

36 posts, read 162,994 times
I lived in Philly for a little bit and moved to Austin last year. I do miss downtown Philly, not the homeless, but the shopping and the restaurants.
Austin is lacking as far as Happy hour goes and the different foods compared to Philly, but I enjoy the warm weather for most of the year and the fact that people don't honk at you every second like they do in Philly.
I have also lived in Portland and Seattle and I agree there are more outdoors activities but the weather sucks for majority of the year. It is either overcast all day with little sun breaks or it is raining. Austin is definately a smaller city but it is growing and there are lots of places to run and bike. I do miss the mountains and hills when hiking but you can't have it all I guess. I would visit here and see what you think.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:15 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,151 times
I love both cities and I think mm57553 nailed it. They are very different. I hate the cold, so Austin gets the edge there. Gulf coast beaches, unless you are willing to drive 7 or so hours to South Padre, make the Jersey Shore look like Hawaii, though once you have negotiated the trucks - most beaches have the legal status of public highways in Texas - the seaweed, the fish hooks and tarballs, the gulf is swimmable close to twelve months of the year as opposed to three. The fishing is also fantastic! And there are dolphins and pelicans!! The surrounding hill country is pretty but not as pretty at let's say Buck's County or the Poconos. There are tons of biking, hiking trails in or very close to the city of Austin. So if you are willing to give up skiing (though there is lots of water-skiing on the lakes?), I would say Austin is better for most outdoor activities. For anything cultural, except indie and alt country music, and Tex-Mex and BBQ, Philly has Austin beat by more than a country mile. Being a three hour drive from Houston is not quite the same thing as being an hour and a half train ride from NYC or D.C. And finally, any hole in the wall pizza joint in Philly has MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better pizza than the best Italian restaurant in Austin. The pizza here will make you weep, and not with joy! Come down, check it out. There is much to like, and it is not like Philadelphia at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin