Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:53 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,776,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not sure what you mean by this. I don't spend any more time grocery shopping when I go to Sam's (except for some oohing and ahing over prices, maybe) than I do in the regular grocery store - usually less, as I'm there for certain things and I get a lot of them so I don't have to shop for them very often. (Big pork roast, for example, that I can cut into three pork roasts for the two of us and freeze two of them for future use, or HUGE package of chicken breasts that I can divide into bags of the number we generally use and freeze for future use - I can avoid shopping for those things for a month or two if I do it right.) Or did you mean something else?
I meant a lot of things.

For one, I don't like to lug in a lot of groceries, and would rather shop for one or two meals at a time. It's just more manageable for me, personally. I prefer fewer things on hand so nothing goes bad and also I don't have something that looked good to me at the time, but doesn't appeal to me at the moment.

Often we'll decide to go out to eat, because we enjoy that. Then, of course, I'll find that I didn't need to shop at all. We usually split something, and that's plenty.

As for time, Randall's is right down the street. There are few people in the store and maybe one person in line in front of me, also buying just a few items.

I like a grocery that I can stop by after work, pull up right in front of the store, get a small basket, walk in and get out quickly with few items to put away. That just suits my style, less is better for me.

I used to shop for a week or two at at time, but prefer not to now. When I did, I was still stopping by the store for things to go with whatever I had on hand, so now I buy it all at once for a meal or two. I can stretch my dollar almost as well by keeping weekly sales in mind.

Nothing wrong with Sam's or Costco shopping at all. It's just a personal preference not to right now. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 12:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
Thanks for clarifying. I was a bit puzzled, and that makes my brain itch sometimes!

Old 06-20-2009, 12:10 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,776,417 times
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I was a bit puzzled, and that makes my brain itch sometimes!
Well, if I could put it in a nutshell, I'd say it is because I can't handle too much at a time. Since I gave up hope about that, I feel much better.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:34 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,256,568 times
I get kind of overwhelmed at Costco/Sams. We had a membership, but we gave it up when we realized a lot of what we'd buy would go bad (those huge bags of spinach!). We were also spening a lot on 'impulse' purchases like books, movies, etc. It also just wasn't a good shopping experience for me. I have friends who SWEAR by Costco/Sams, though!

Old 06-21-2009, 07:49 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
I worried about the greens, too. But I bought one of the big clear plastic boxes of mixed greens, and it stayed fresh for weeks.

You do need to go in with at least a mental list and avoid temptation, it's true! And know the grocery store prices on the things that you're going to purchase - some things are cheaper at the grocery store, some at Sam's, and I purchase accordingly.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:56 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I get kind of overwhelmed at Costco/Sams. We had a membership, but we gave it up when we realized a lot of what we'd buy would go bad (those huge bags of spinach!). We were also spening a lot on 'impulse' purchases like books, movies, etc. It also just wasn't a good shopping experience for me. I have friends who SWEAR by Costco/Sams, though!
wow, we must be lucky, we buy the plastic tubs of spinish and there are only 2 of us, it never goes bad, same with the romaine. We do our best to stay away from things like the books unless we are buying them for Christmas gifts:

I watch prices very closely and make sure what I am getting is 1-cheaper than the grocery store and 2-will be used or if it is cheap enough I may not care if part of it spoils. I still save. Of course we always go with a list and rarely vary even a bit.

Nita

Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 AM

8 posts, read 21,609 times
Default Aldi Rocks!

I have been waiting for Aldi to make it's way to Dallas for 6 years now. FINALLY it is on it's way. One can only hope that Trader Joe's is right behind them....along with and expanded indie art scene and small theater houses.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 AM

8 posts, read 21,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Aldi's? As in cut rate grocery stores with questionable produce and meats, where you have to bring your own bags/boxes and pack up your groceries yourself?

That's what Aldi's was when I was growing up. Even my mom, who was the queen of bargain grocery shopping, wouldn't buy meat or produce at Aldi's. Yuck!
When I lived in Germany I positively loved Aldi's. The first Aldi opened in the US in 1976 in Iowa. They are a German grocery chain and have been credited with some amazing things. I don't purchase meat unless it is free range or acre grazed but I shop at Aldi for veggies and household staples. It doesn't bother me to bring my own bags because I have always done that. But then I make my own yogurt and bake my own bread. I think it is just a different way of life.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 AM

139 posts, read 349,654 times
Sprouts is pretty darn close to TJ's, and does some things even better, like their deli and homeopathic section. I can't say I miss TJ's all that much with Sprouts in it's stead.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 AM

515 posts, read 1,392,037 times
Quote:
Yes, but it appears to be the Californians who,when they get to the Land of Reasonable Grocery Prices, can't seem to let go of the idea that they just have to have a Trader Joe's, much moreso than other relocatees talk about it. So they get stuck with it appearing to be just a California Cult.
The food prices here aren't any more reasonable than in CA. I just went food shopping the other day at HEB and found the prices to be the same (somethings even higher) as in CA. Trader Joe's prices are much lower. I'm not looking to make Austin like some cities in CA, but I do miss the a lot of the food items at TJs, and you can't beat the prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin