Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I can see why someone wouldn't want an HOA because they don't want to be told not to jack their car up on the driveway or park their motorhome on their yard....but being concerned because you might forget to make your $400 HOA payment is not logical to me.
Or not to leave your garage door open unless you are entering or exiting, or not to have more vehicles than you can park in your garage (thus necessitating parking a vehicle in your driveway, intended for such), or what color you can paint your house and, in some cases, the inside of your house where it can be seen through the windows). Not all HOAs have reasonable regulations. Plus, there's the little bit about the very fact that they have the right to foreclose on your home, something that, in my opinion, should only be held by the mortgage holder, NOT a third party. (And, in Texas, I'm really frankly surprised that it's even legal, given that until a very few years ago we weren't even able to get home equity loans - a good thing, in my opinion - because of the risk to the homestead and the state's desire to protect the homeowner and family from predatory practices. How the mighty have fallen!)

HOA's can be a good thing, but one must always remember that the quality of the HOA is very dependent on the kind of people who are on the Board and that can change with time. If you buy in an HOA, BEFORE you make an offer read the restrictions very carefully and know that you'll need to keep an eye on the Board and whatever changes they can and do make over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 03:54 PM

24 posts, read 80,549 times
Default HOA's At Berry Creek!

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! The HOA rules that if one has a dog it has to be neutered or spayed and if outside cannot bark. That's just one rule. They have the power to slap a lien on your home anytime and to foreclose on it. We don't want to purchase a home and have it foreclosed. We plan on paying our dues - if we should continue with this - we believe this HOA has too much control.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:03 PM

24 posts, read 80,549 times
Thanks for the driving directions! We will check out Serenada when we fly down next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
From IH35, take exit 261A. Head west on Williams Drive (at the light).

Turn right on Serenada (there's a light - it's a couple/three miles down). The Serenada subdivision is down that road, mostly on your left, some on your right.

If you miss Serenada Drive and get to the HEB, turn right onto Shell Road then take the first right and that will take you into it, as well.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathaway View Post
My husband and I are retiring to the Georgetown area or Pflugerville from Ohio. Does anyone know of any nice subdivisions with no HOA'S Homeowners Association. We were going to buy in Berry Creek but the HOA there can slap a lien on your home if you are behind in your dues and foreclose on it. This scares us to death and would prefer to stay away from HOA if at all possible. It seems that all new home subdivisions have one and would prefer to buy an existing home because of this.

Thanks.
We live in Serenada and love the fact there are no HOA's. People are friendly, the neighborhood is quiet and safe.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-16-2009 at 07:08 AM..

Old 07-15-2009, 07:42 PM

65 posts, read 139,709 times
I'm curious about Serenada and River Ridge as well. I live in RR/CP area now and have no problem with HOA, just a bad neighbor...

Anyway, I love the larger lots and trees I've seen in both... anyone else have input on these areas?

Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 PM

171 posts, read 790,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schock77 View Post
I'm curious about Serenada and River Ridge as well. I live in RR/CP area now and have no problem with HOA, just a bad neighbor...

Anyway, I love the larger lots and trees I've seen in both... anyone else have input on these areas?

We still own a home in Georgetown, but don't live there anymore. Hubby got transferred to Dallas. (Sniff-sniff! ). We lived on acreage, but if I had to choose a regular neighborhood in Georgetown to purchase in - my short list would definitely be Serenada and River Ridge. I had friends that lived in both those neighborhoods and they were great.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
I grew up in the Serenada area, and I still think it is an excellent area to live in. A couple of things to note about the area:
- not any sidewalks (but not that much traffic, either)
- there are multiple sections that vary significantly. I prefer the intial ones, although the houses are dated somewhat (probably), the lots are bigger.
- There is an airport right next to Serenada. Not a bunch of 747s or anything, but some occasional noise.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:28 PM

107 posts, read 285,333 times
I agree, I would want an Home Owners Association. They keep the property values up by enforcing rules that the community agrees upon. I have always lived where there was an HOA and glad I did.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 PM

103 posts, read 211,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathaway View Post
Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! The HOA rules that if one has a dog it has to be neutered or spayed and if outside cannot bark. That's just one rule. They have the power to slap a lien on your home anytime and to foreclose on it. We don't want to purchase a home and have it foreclosed. We plan on paying our dues - if we should continue with this - we believe this HOA has too much control.
how exactly does one keep their dog from barking? seems slightly unreasonable. Maybe that's a rule against leaving outside when you are not home?

Good to know about the HOA's and the apparently odd and unreasonable expectations though. I like the idea of people keeping their yards neat and trimmed...but Any third party that has that much power over my home is not a third party I want to be involved with!!!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,455 times
Go with an HOA if you desire to live in an area that is required to be maintained. If you dont care if your direct neighbors weeds are creeping upon your lawn and making the area look like a deserted lot, or have a neighbor with fallen shutters hanging or broken down cars in the driveway, then leave it alone and go without one. I will always be in an HOA neighborhood, seen both sides of the fence. I appreciate the HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin