Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:12 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,817 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am taking my 2 kids (5 1/2 & 6 1/2) to Austin for a little vacation this July (I know it will be hot, that's okay). Any ideas on child friendly things to do? My son is bat crazy, so we will have to see the bat colony that I have read so much about. Is it worth the drive to Sea World, or is that too far? How about the big water park in New Braunfels. Is it okay for kids this young? My little ones love to try new foods, and are looking forward to some decent BBQ. Do you have to be a resident to use the swimming area at Zilker Park? Anywhere we could hear some music, maybe outdoors, that would be okay to bring the kids, We are staying at the Marriott near the Arboretum, Sorry for all the questions. We are really excited about the trip. Thank you so much for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 02:59 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
The following website lists attractions by age level, and if you'll click on the name of each attraction, you'll get tips about visiting them with a child.
Things to Do in Austin, Texas | Travel | Disney Family.com
Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels is a great place. It could be a little tricky to maneuver and not get separated on some of the rafting rides.
I wouldn't waste my time on some of the restaurants listed...you can certainly do much better than that!
Have fun

Old 06-24-2009, 03:05 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,817 times
Thanks for the link capcat!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:33 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
- one attraction they left off the list is the fountains at Butler Park. The kids love it. At night the fountains are uplit with colored lights. When it hits 100, that's the best place to be. It is also centrally located along town lake with the skyline view and open fields if you want to picnic when the sun goes down. please excuse my tangent for a moment - In case you're concerned, the park is still safe and populated with joggers after dark. I don't know where you are travelling from, but the city of Austin has very low crime in comparison to practically every other major city in the U.S. The only area I would be concerned about is 6th St. and Red River towards I-35. There are absolutely no family attractions there anyways - it is almost 100% drunk college kids and thugs usually at night only though. Other than that, the city has a lot to offer.

Butler park pics: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

(along with other Austin area attractions)

Last edited by jobert; 06-24-2009 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 03:44 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
tangent #2: does anyone else know about kid-friendly music outdoors? I have taken my kids to Freddies on South First, SouthPark Meadows after Dark (fri/sat) City Hall Plaza during friday lunch (during spring) and Central Market (both locations). Any other ideas? Is "The Grove" kid-friendly?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:57 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
As in Shady Grove? If so, yes.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
There are the Children's Day Art Park events through the Summer
Children's Day Art Park | Events | Tickets & Events | Austin Symphony (http://www.austinsymphony.org/tickets/events/childrens-day-art-park/ - broken link)

Old 06-24-2009, 07:50 PM

1,781 posts, read 955,332 times
We love the Rock 'N River Family Aquatic Center in Round Rock. It is super cheap and our kids always have a blast there. Maybe you can also catch a Round Rock Express game while you are here. My kids also love going to Krause Springs in the Summer. You can make a day of it and then have some great Bar B-Q at Opie's on your way back to the hotel.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,628 times
Volente Beach is less expensive thatn Schlitterbahn, FYI

Old 06-25-2009, 11:39 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,628 times
The Childrens museum is great for that age, it is downtown...and as you asked, the pool at Zilker park is for everyone, but charges a nominal fee...$3 for adults and $1 ea for your age kiddos (No coolders or outside food allowed but there is a "cafe"/snack shop onsite).Also at Zilker adjacent to the pool are some walking trails, and a good playscape and a little train around the park.

The Austin Zoo is okay, but if you are used to a BIG zoo you will be disappointed. It is inexpensive, and as long as its not too hot ( a relative term down here), it is a fun time for your agegroup.

Lots of bigger city pools have gone "waterpark" type, so ask around for peoples favorites....I hear Cedar Park and Lakeway are pretty good but have never been.

Then there is Wonder World in San Marcos Welcome to Wonderworld Park! (http://www.wonderworldpark.com/html/index.html - broken link), the snake farm Texas Snake Farm, Petting Zoo, Exotic Animal Park, and Natural Bridge Cavern (south of Austin near New Braunfels) or Innerspace Cavern (North of Austin near Georgetown?)

Sea World is about 1.5 hours away in San Antonio as is Fiesta Texas (six flags), and The Alamo and San Antonio Riverwalk are interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin