Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 03:54 PM

55 posts, read 178,189 times

Advertisements

I moved to Austin from San Diego in April of last year. I lived in San Diego for a year and a half. Before that, I lived in Northern Kentucky all my life. I moved to San Diego and Austin because I heard that both cities were really cool and I know that you don't get to know a city by vacationing there. I want to find the right place to settle down for the rest of my life, so I'm spending the next few years moving around the country checking out all cities that I have always thought about living in.

Better Quality of Life That really depends on what you decide to make of where you live. For me, it is very similar in both cities. With your "gotta get outta here!!" attitude, I'm sure that you will find a better quality of life anywhere you go.

A Slower Pace If you are driving anywhere at rush hour, you will definitely find a "slower pace" in Austin When I moved to San Diego, my first thought was "wow, the people here drive like they are crazy". When I moved to Austin, I thought "this must be where all the worst drivers from California move". As far as the general pace of the people in San Diego and Austin, San Diego seemed a little more laid back to me. The way I judge the feel of a town is to go downtown around lunch time and see if the people look stiff, hurried and not talking to other people or if they are walking slowly, chatting with friends and relaxing. It is definitely close between the two cities, but San Diego feels just a tad more relaxed to me.

Better Schools Unfortunately, I do not know enough about the schools in either area to comment, but I know that I have seen tons of threads about the quality of the schools on both the Austin and San Diego boards. I'm sure that you can find what you are looking for if you search a little.

Nicer People I have seen tons of posts telling stories about how someone in Austin did some ridiculously nice thing for them. Guess what? That happens everywhere. I did not think that any Californians that I met were not nice. The same goes for Austin. I am a super-outgoing and friendly person, so maybe I only attract nice people. I made several friends in San Diego. In my one year here in Austin, I have made no friends. I feel like many of the people I've met in Austin are just putting on a act. But, since everyone says the same thing about California, I imagine it is the same everywhere.

I really like both Austin and San Diego. I have met many people in Austin who moved here from California. I always ask them if they like it here in Austin better and if they would ever move back to California. Most say that they like it here better and all of them said that they would never move back to California. I would totally move back to California. I have noticed that people tend to blame a lot of their woes on where they live, but the problems are really caused by something else. At one point, I thought I hated it in San Diego. I then realized that I just hated my job and was frustrated with my condo. A simple job change and move to another area changed everything. I think when considering a move, you need to think of the things you really like about where you currently live and the things you dislike or are concerned about where you are moving. People tend to do the opposite and not have a realistic picture of how things really are.

If I had to choose between San Diego and Austin right now, that would be a really tough call. Both towns have really cool vibes. The oppressive heat in Austin right now sucks. I also thought that it didn't get cold here in the winter. I was wrong about that. I had to unpack my winter coats that were packed up since I left Kentucky - granted, I only needed a coat for a couple weeks total but there were plenty of cold mornings. In Austin, I feel totally safe. There were definitely areas in San Diego in which I did not feel safe. My allergy problems are much worse in Austin than they were in San Diego. One of the things I disliked about San Diego was that the parking spaces were so tiny and my car doors were always getting dented because of people smashing their doors into mine. It always seemed like there was never enough parking in San Diego. Some places I would have to circle around the lot a couple times to get a space. In Austin, the parking spaces are much bigger and I can always find a good spot(unless I am downtown). I haven't really had problems with people hitting my doors here, but the big hail storm took care of my "no dents in Austin" problem One thing that's cool about Austin is that anyone who moves here could seriously think about buying a house eventually. In San Diego, that's just not realistic for many people.

If you are just looking for a great place to raise your kids with a little space, I would say that Austin is a good place for that. Just remember that Austin is not some mythical wonderland like some people make it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 07:05 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
I had visited Austin about 2 years ago, and am now back looking......Since the downfall in the economy and what not, can anyone who moved from CA to TX, tell me how they feel now? The same, would you still move, or go back to CA? Still love Austin or would you have gone to another part of Texas?

We ar in So Cal, and have talked about leaving for about 4 years, we gotta get outta here!! For the main reasons...
A better quality of life
A slower pace
Better schools
Nicer people

Are these still there in your opinion, and what are the best areas to live in and why, in your opinion. We are making a trip there in the next month, we will also be visitng the Dallas area.

Oh also, I am a native Californian, but do not worry about missing the beach, diversity, museums, and stuff like that...I am a stay at home mommy of 3 little ones, 6 and under. We just want a little space a a great place to "raise" them.

Thanks so much in advance!! Have a great hot day, we are here about 101!!
I live in Round Rock and moved from the Bay Area in 2006. It's been a great move for me and my family. There is never a shortage of family activities and the schools are good.

I've met a lot of great people and made some really good friends. All from different parts of the country. Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, CA, MD. I used to belong to a Mom's group when I first moved to TX that had a lot of mom's that recently moved from CA. All for the same reason, it's hard to have a decent life, cost of living is too high and the schools are crap.

Good luck with your move and your decision. When I made my choice to move to TX I never even heard of City Data so I wasn't able to be influenced by what was on the boards here. You'll get some good information and some craziness. It's best to come and visit and see for yourself.

Best of luck.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:17 PM

17 posts, read 70,935 times
We moved here from SF 4 years ago and am very happy. People here will complain about people moving here, especially Californians, but I have never heard anything rude spoken directly to me.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:20 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,280 times
Thank You Thank You...I really think any place is what you make it!!

I wondered about the weather a little, beings that you are from Ca, maybe you can give me an insight to the differences? When is the horrendous summer start? How are the winters and when does it rain, and does it alot?

Thanks again, amd looking forward to our trip!!

Old 06-28-2009, 12:06 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Horrendous summer already started this year. it's topped 100 for the last week and a half, with heat indexes of 105-110.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:38 PM

98 posts, read 295,242 times
The schools offer a lot more art and PE than CA. Since, where I live in Northern CA next year, nothing will be offered. TX teaches to the tests, but so does CA. TX has slightly larger than CA classrooms did have, but CA classes are going to grow dramatically this year. Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:40 PM

Thanks...We were able to get away without losing the class size reduction this year, but i bet it will be gone next year!! it is very sad!! I think that is the thing that bums me out the most about CA, is the lack of caring for education.....what signal does this send to our young ones?

I know the midwest is AWESOME for public education, but my husband can not do his job in the snow, and i really don't think i could do the gloom...

I am hoping to enjoy Texas way more this trip around, since i am more ready in my mind, this time...

How long did you live in Northern CA for? Have your kids adjusted well to Texas, and where did you move to?

Thanks

Old 06-28-2009, 05:42 PM

love roses, what is a heat index?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:08 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
love roses, what is a heat index?
Heat index is factoring in the temp AND the humidity.

Here's a handy map site for school searching. Click on an area & start searching/researching schools (as opposed to "districts).

Texas School Performance Maps

Old 06-28-2009, 07:11 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
CravenClan, we are in Leander ISD and both my boys are in elem school and have pe every other day and then alternate other specials..art,drama and music. I think they go to computer weekly if not more and have spanish that however is a volunteer program. This past year our school had two plays and one musical. There are safety patrol kids and other things for them to do depending on the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin