Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:10 PM

98 posts, read 294,421 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Northern California. I have not moved to Austin yet, but will hopefully be making the move soon. I am a teacher that can not stand CA anymore, so I'm moving to Austin to be closer to my family and have a way better chance of helping students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:31 PM

445 posts, read 1,804,585 times
That is awesome, good for you. I know it is sad, how the education has been slowly dwindeling...It seems like teachers are helpless.. I applaud you for the job that you do,it has to be rough, and rewarding at times.

I am a native, and have talked about leaving, now we know we gotta get outta here...too many problems, even though we will be leaving all our family, we ar eth eonly ones with little kids to raise...we have to do what is best for them..

Thanks also for the info on the schools, in leander....is that a city? I am looking on my map and do not see it.. I think school should be fun, especially at a young age, otherwise it is just so mechanical, and i would think that the kids would be burned out by the 3rd grade, if they have nothing "fun" to do and still learn about..

Old 06-29-2009, 01:16 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,601,067 times
Leander is a town North West of Austin and is the same distance from Austin as Georgetown is, or very nearly anyway.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:52 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,620,884 times
up Leander is a town but Leander ISD covers Leander,Cedar Park,a bit of Austin and now has a school also with a Georgetown address. You have to look closely at the lines between Round Rock ISD and AISD since this Northwest area is sort of confusing when it comes to that.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:17 AM

989 posts, read 2,491,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInTex View Post
We moved to Austin from CA about 5 years ago. We were up in the SF area for about 16 years so, I cannot tell a lie, we miss our friends but Austin is a great place and probably the only place for Californians to move to in TX as I'd say it's as diverse and as accepting as it gets in this state. (You'd probably not get any different story from anyone else in TX as most think Austin is pretty weird ... much too liberal!).
Houston, Dallas, San Antonio are not diverse?! Have you ever left Austin's city limits?

Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,620,884 times
I have to say BritinTex is wrong in that the rest of the larger cities think Austin is weird. Most don't give it a thought and everywhere else is as diverse as Austin and pretty accepting also. Seems to me the only people who think Austin is weird is at the folks in Austin.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:41 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,514,418 times
If you move here, we won't give you a hard time as long as you don't whine about the things you used to have in California that you can't find in Austin (i.e. beaches, Trader Joe's, ethnic diversity, etc.).

Old 06-29-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Houston, Dallas, San Antonio are not diverse?! Have you ever left Austin's city limits?
I have to agree. Those cities are actually more diverse than Austin.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:40 PM

445 posts, read 1,804,585 times
Am definately looking for LESS diversity, have been raised here all my life and i only go to the beach when we are Hawaii, and i have never been to a TJ's, so i think i won't miss much, maybe only an In n Out burger, sorry but Sonic has nothing on them!! haha

Hav a great day!!

BTW anyone prefer the Dallas area to Austin area and maybe can i ask why....being it pertains to my situation with small kids and wanting a slower pace of life, and thoughts??
Thanks

Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 PM

I don't really prefer Dallas, but I have tons of family there, many of them have small children and love it. Maybe I can ask them why they prefer Dallas to anywhere else. My sister lives there but doesn't have kids. She likes the nightlife, variety of restaurants, and more cosmopolitan vibe. She also does Cancer Research and the field there for that work is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin