Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 09:38 AM

271 posts, read 987,758 times

Advertisements

Quick ques.
How family friendly is this event??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:09 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
I'm not sure, but I hear great things about it.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:12 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
Very mixed crowd. I'd say it's quite family friendly unless you object to other people doing their own thing. Definitely one of the great summer things in Austin. And one of the few (only?) things of note that ever goes on in that end of town.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:28 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
Even though it's an alcohol-free event, it's often called Booze on the Green, which tells you a little something about enforcement. Things may be different because of the move to Waterloo Park this year, but I doubt it. I'd agree with "very mixed crowd" but then that's usually the case here in Austin. If your kids need to be entertained by something other than the music then I probably wouldn't take them.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:43 AM

324 posts, read 1,311,459 times
the symphony does big band on the terrace at the long center every sunday evening thru the summer......i think at 730. might be fun for your family. also in july will be the zilker summer musical at the hillside theatre thur-sunday evenings. it's always a tradition here in the summer

Old 06-28-2009, 10:45 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
Oh dear, I didn't realise it has moved to Waterloo Park from the Arboretum. Yeah, people usually brought their own booze in years past and drank it discreetly. I think Waterloo Park is a rather crap venue despite being so central -- it's a very hot, open place with little shade over most of its expanse. In the past they had some gay pride events there and it was just an intolerable venue IMO. Of course, the fact that Blues on the Green is an evening event may make things slightly better. Pease Park would have been good, except for all the neighbors along the hill above complaining as loudly as possible, and the parking isn't so great. Even so, people will have to park miles away and walk to Waterloo Park, I'm sure.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:49 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Oh dear, I didn't realise it has moved to Waterloo Park from the Arboretum. Yeah, people usually brought their own booze in years past and drank it discreetly. I think Waterloo Park is a rather crap venue despite being so central -- it's a very hot, open place with little shade over most of its expanse. In the past they had some gay pride events there and it was just an intolerable venue IMO. Of course, the fact that Blues on the Green is an evening event may make things slightly better. Pease Park would have been good, except for all the neighbors along the hill above complaining as loudly as possible, and the parking isn't so great. Even so, people will have to park miles away and walk to Waterloo Park, I'm sure.
The Arboretum?? I think you must be thinking of another event. Blues on the Green is sponsored by KGSR and is normally held at Zilker Park. It moved to Waterloo this year (only) because the grass and irrigation system at Zilker is being redone.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:54 AM

324 posts, read 1,311,459 times
doctor jef is right. it was at the arboretum orginally (actually for many years). then to zilker the last few. i think they moved to waterloo for this year because of installation of the new irrigation systems at zilker

Last edited by chickenfry; 06-28-2009 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-28-2009, 12:38 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfry View Post
doctor jef is right. it was at the arboretum orginally (actually for many years). then to zilker the last few. i think they moved to waterloo for this year because of installation of the new irrigation systems at zilker
Yes, I went to it when it was at the Arboretum, as I lived close to there.. that was several years ago. It was a superior location in some ways -- you had the pond and fountain, plenty of shade, and parking. The Zilker location was a parking & traffic nightmare. Waterloo should be a little better, due to the parking garages... but then again the show might be interrupted by the starflight helicopter at any time.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:07 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,447 times
Seems like Waterloo park is walkable from the main UT parking lots too. Hopefully they aren't charging for parking like they do for Erwin Center events.

Def. a mixed crowd. Lots of young and old people, lots of families, and lots of dogs. Plenty of people drinking, and last one I went to at Zilker, I could smell marijuana walking through certain portions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: