Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times

Advertisements

I'm with ya if you want to stage a protest. I live right near there and it is a nusance, illegal (I think), and just bad taste with all their signs and bad advertising. Who owns the strip mall on Avery and Parmer? Maybe we need to complain to them to get pressure put on the owner of fitness 19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
[quote=oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots;9513841]Good to hear the suggestions. We've been here 10 days now and have had one guy come to the door selling meat out of the back of his truck, someone threw a bag advertisement with beans in it from a place called SPORT CLIPS, and someone else wanted to help us with our mortgage, (which we do not need). I'm getting a no solicitation sign. I seriously do not like to be disturbed in my own home. What is the law in Williamson county regarding solicitors or is this another live and let live thing?[/QUOTE

The solicitors are crazy around here. Not as in crazy "psycho" but just in the sheer numbers. Those meat truck guys just don't give up. Sport Clips is a haircut place for men (chain business) and we got the bean bag too. I guess it's just to say that it costs beans to get a haircut. I really don't think there are any laws against it, but you can call the cops and tell them that a suspicious person is going door to door and they will find them and check and see if they are licensed. Just getting a sign should be enough. My husband doesn't like the solicitors but won't get a sign because he doesn't want to discourage the neighborhood kids selling things door to door for scouts/school reasons.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:02 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
I'll bet a specially made no-soliciting sign which includes info about the Castle Doctrine in Texas should be quite effective.

Castle Doctrine in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-29-2009, 07:32 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,536 times
Could you not call Fitness 19 and tell them you are filing a report? It may be that they have hired an outside co to do the marketing and they have no clue about what is happening! OR have everyone save their rock flyers and designate a day to have everyone drop them off on the sidewalk in front of Fitness 19.LOL

Old 06-29-2009, 11:37 AM

34 posts, read 71,492 times
You'd have to deface the advertising in some way. Otherwise they'll just redistribute them right back to your lawn. They'd prolly reuse the rocks for their next set of ads anyways.

You'd be better off dropping them off in front of whatever city agency that would do something about Fitness 19.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Have you tried speaking with them like an adult?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Have you tried speaking with them like an adult?
Thanks for that suggestion...I'll let Code Enforcement and CoA PO-lice handle that if you don't mind. Somehow, I don't think an adult mind was the one that decided throwing trash in folks' yards was a brilliant marketing scheme.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:58 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,828 times
I go to the Fitness 19 in Round Rock and have received the same fliers in my yard.

Get this though - the guy who works the front desk sits there all morning putting landscaping rocks into plastic baggies along with the fliers to toss them out later. I have no idea if an employee actually throws them out or if they hire someone to do it, but they're well aware of whats going on. But behind the counter are bags of the landscaping rocks... I guess they need something to do.

As someone else mentioned, I also got the shampoo bag from the SportClips - which oddly enough, is next door to the Fitness 19. I just assumed someone walked the shopping center and offered to toss these things out to neighborhoods if they're provided to them by the place.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Avery Ranch has a pretty strict HOA, don't they? I'm really supprised they haven't taken care of this already. I would think having the community association contacting them would hold more weight than an individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: