Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 06:24 PM

7 posts, read 22,679 times

Advertisements

I'm a new grad nurse moving from NY to Austin. I was wondering how are the nursing job opportunities look like for a new grad in Austin?
Any advice where to look? Which hospitals hiring and which hospitals are the best to work for? ( i would prefer a med/surg position in a hospital setting with great orientation and preceptor)
Thank you for all the opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 08:32 PM

122 posts, read 407,527 times
As a new grad in Austin, you have two choices. The Seton hospital system or the St. David's hospital system. Contact the nurse recruiter at both and discuss your options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatapor View Post
I'm a new grad nurse moving from NY to Austin. I was wondering how are the nursing job opportunities look like for a new grad in Austin?
Any advice where to look? Which hospitals hiring and which hospitals are the best to work for? ( i would prefer a med/surg position in a hospital setting with great orientation and preceptor)
Thank you for all the opinions.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:57 PM

7 posts, read 22,679 times
Thank you. I'll look into them

Old 06-29-2009, 11:06 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
See this thread about projected and current job growth, look good for nursing and medical related fields.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ml#post9521077

Old 06-29-2009, 02:33 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cub77cub View Post
As a new grad in Austin, you have two choices. The Seton hospital system or the St. David's hospital system. Contact the nurse recruiter at both and discuss your options.
I'm not asking as a smart-ass, just wondering as a husband of a nurse in the St. Davids system.... does Scott and White not hire new grads or something?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
I'm not asking as a smart-ass, just wondering as a husband of a nurse in the St. Davids system.... does Scott and White not hire new grads or something?
According to this web page they have a nursing internship program.

Human Resources - Scott & White - Central Texas

Old 06-29-2009, 03:10 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
According to this web page they have a nursing internship program.

Human Resources - Scott & White - Central Texas
Those typically are for specialty areas (as it appears to be for S&W) that will not hire new grads right away, no matter what the system. As far as I know though, S&W will still hire new nurses into Med/Surg (where MOST new nurses start anyways).

Old 06-29-2009, 03:14 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,327 times
I imagine the prospects are good in general. I have two sisters that graduated from nursing programs within a year of each other (less than 2 years ago) and both got job offers pretty fast. They were open to working in suburbs outside the main city though (Houston) and that's where they both took jobs.

I believe Seton does the same thing as Scott & White with a new grad training program. When one sister was fresh out of school, she applied to Seton in Austin and was told that she'd have to wait several months in order to be in the program based on when she applied. She wound up taking a job elsewhere that paid better anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin