Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:49 AM

312 posts, read 797,831 times

Advertisements

Need to know about apartment complexes in Austin that will accept applications from people like me with less than perfect credit. Over the last year I maxed out on a few credit cards, and they are now in collections because I cannot afford to make payments, although I may be able to do a settlement on a couple of them before I move (beginning of next year).

Any leads or thoughts? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 11:21 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
Need to know about apartment complexes in Austin that will accept applications from people like me with less than perfect credit. Over the last year I maxed out on a few credit cards, and they are now in collections because I cannot afford to make payments, although I may be able to do a settlement on a couple of them before I move (beginning of next year).

Any leads or thoughts? Thanks again.
Why on Earth would someone lease to you if you can't pay your current debts? That seems a little hopeful to me.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 PM

1. I said absolutely NOTHING about trying to rent a place with no employment. Please be assured that I will not move to Austin before having a job lined up. I live in Phoenix right now. If no job prospects are forthcoming, I will not make the move. I will not overburden your already skimpy Texas social services network. I say this as a former 2 1/2 year Dallas resident.

2. Some of you people just can't help but be negative. I'll try to ignore that and hold out for comments that are actually helpful.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Why on Earth would someone lease to you if you can't pay your current debts? That seems a little hopeful to me.
Ummm...people DO rent to folks with outstanding debts. TRUST ME. Even in Texas. I should know because I rented in Dallas with $1000s in student loan and CC debt and the place was one of the best I ever had ANYWHERE I have lived in America. Not looking for a $1200/mo condo. Just a place to hang my hat and sleep. Doesn't even need to be in the "best" neighborhood.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:12 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
The outstanding debts aren't the problem, the problem lies in that you can not and are not paying on those outstanding debts - that's what's going to hurt you.

Most complexes don't give a rat's behind how much outstanding debt you have, so long as you are paying on them in a timely fashion.

I really don't have any advice. Perhaps some apts will rent to you if you have someone co-sign. Or you could always look for someone who is looking for a roomate.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 PM

Unhappy Let me rephrase the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
The outstanding debts aren't the problem, the problem lies in that you can not and are not paying on those outstanding debts - that's what's going to hurt you.

Most complexes don't give a rat's behind how much outstanding debt you have, so long as you are paying on them in a timely fashion.

I really don't have any advice. Perhaps some apts will rent to you if you have someone co-sign. Or you could always look for someone who is looking for a roomate.
My request is for complexes that work with people in these situations, or information on apartment finder services that recommend them. I simply refuse to believe that SOME apartment complex will reject an otherwise perfectly qualified applicant who has the ability to pay monthly rent on time each month.

Maybe a better approach is to ask about general procedures for finding and renting an apartment in Austin - what to expect from landlords and complex management in the market based on the specific and unique qualities of the Austin market as opposed to other markets in Texas and nationally. In Phoenix it's pretty easy to find a place for any budget and credit situation because of the (abnormally) high amount of rental housing in the market and the "working class" majority of the population in Phoenix compared to affluent citizens.

What good is this forum if I cannot find people who can answer a simple question without thinking I'm a dumb*** for even asking the question??? I read many of these posts, and many of you think the borders of Travis and Williamson County ought to be sealed anyway so NO one relocates to Austin! How terrible and unfortunate an attitude!!! Sheesh!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:17 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,762 times
Most people who rent apartments don't have perfect credit. That sets up a strawman argument. Lots of people have average/good credit though.

If you have outright BAD credit you are largely going to be restricted to living in a bad part of town.

If you can pay a huge security deposit you might be able rent a place in somewhat better areas, if you can demonstrate respectable employment (something not fly-by-night) that gives the owner some confidence you can pay.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:24 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,762 times
Oh, if you type "bad credit" into Craigslist apartment search you'll find many places.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:09 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
First and foremost, obtain your credit report(s) so you know exactly how things are reporting TODAY. Recent blemishes, even up to 60 days old, sometimes don't show up on a report when pulled. Of course, residential pay history will be a big swing factor for you.

What do you want to rent? A condo or apartment managed by a company might be tougher than something rented by an individual with whom you could meet and explain your human experience.

I had success using Craigslist, the "housing wanted" section, and I just laid it on the line in the post. I got several understanding replies.

If you are looking to rent a house, your prospective landlord might be in a terrible situation with their investment property(ies) due to the economy, and your deposit + 1st/last month payment might actually be saving their butt.

Get the credit report. Be up front. Your credit might not be nearly as bad as you think. In this market, you are in a position of greater strength than you might think.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:17 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,758 times
Micmac, I'd suggest looking into the complexes east of I-35 between Riverside and Oltorf. If any area is likely to be forgiving of delinquent places that would be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: