Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,424 times

Advertisements

What is the best cell service there?? We have Verizon here, but our contract is up at the end of the year, and would not want to renew it if we move!! Thanks
Also do they have high speed internet in Belterra or HighPointe? DSL/FIOS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 04:59 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
All I can tell you is that I've been unhappy with Sprint service here in Austin. Coverage is fine, but I get tons of dropped calls. Really, an unacceptable amount... Seems like a capacity problem. Also, their support stinks (although I knew that going in).

I'm going to try AT&T for cell phone next.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:16 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,534 times
Default Phone service

A pilot told me that Verizon was the best for all over the country, so I don't know for any specific area. I heard that Cingular/AT&T had the most dropped calls. I am tempted to get the iphone but would have to be with AT&T. We are happy with Verizon in Wisconsin, I know that doesn't help much, but I thought the pilots opinion might.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I tried them all (since my territory is Travis County and the five counties surrounding it, with a fair amount of "out in the country" driving, I have to have good service, and I kept getting bad connections and dropped connections), and the only one that I could consistently get good service with is Verizon. I've had it for a few years now, and am quite pleased.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:21 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
We're just up the road from Belterra and Highpointe and all three of us have AT&T. No problems in about a year. no dropped calls. The coverage map shows that they cover everywhere.

A lot of people told me that Verizon has the best coverage in the area. When we were getting a phone for my daughter (wife and I were on company plans) I had her do an informal poll of her friends at Dripping Springs High School. I figured the kids would know which network worked the best out here. Most were on AT&T, some Verizon, none on T-Mobile.

There are a few areas north-west of Dripping proper which are complete dead zones. We had a rental house out there for three months. Nothing worked.

We are not in Belterra or HighPointe and the only high speed is Time Warner Road Runner, unless you want to go satellite. I don't think the master planned neighborhoods have DSL or FIOS either, but I could be wrong.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:47 PM

351 posts, read 1,431,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
What is the best cell service there?? We have Verizon here, but our contract is up at the end of the year, and would not want to renew it if we move!! Thanks
Also do they have high speed internet in Belterra or HighPointe? DSL/FIOS?
I have Verizon and live in Highpointe. It has never dropped a call. Other people I know have AT&T and is not a problem. I had Sprint when I moved here, bad service and support for me.

My internet is Time Warner cable modem, my speeds are 15MB/2MB. We do have a Verizon land line, but no FIOS as of yet DSL is available, but to slow for me.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:01 PM

123 posts, read 718,281 times
We moved here with Verizon. We've been pleased with the service and coverage. And it was a simple stop in at the store to get a 512 number.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:41 PM

21 posts, read 59,511 times
I live on 2222 in between 360 & 620 and Verizon service here is really bad. I think it's a dead zone. I don't have problems in other parts of town.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
That's interesting. I've never had a problem there (2222 between 360 and 620 - my daughter used to live in Apache Shores and I drove that route a lot), and I have Verizon. Wonder why?

There's one stretch of road on 12 south of Taylor that I get a little static, but it's less than a mile long.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:30 PM

21 posts, read 59,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That's interesting. I've never had a problem there (2222 between 360 and 620 - my daughter used to live in Apache Shores and I drove that route a lot), and I have Verizon. Wonder why?

There's one stretch of road on 12 south of Taylor that I get a little static, but it's less than a mile long.
I don't get it either. I live at Alexan Vistas. There's a cell tower in sight, but service is really bad. If I go outside it's better, but in the house it drops off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin