Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 10:15 AM

786 posts, read 2,761,099 times

Advertisements

OK. We hammered the #### out of the left lane driver issue in the Worst Driver thread, but the top ranking in the Worst Driver poll was cell phone/texting drivers, and we have not heard any details!!!!

My biggest pet peeve with these are when they are pulling out onto a fairly busy road, or country highway, from a side street while holding a cell phone in one hand. They only use one hand to make the turn and therefore usually cannot stay in the right hand lane and drift over into the left in front of the oncoming traffic. That is assuming that they even looked for oncoming traffic in the first place.

What is your best cell phone driver story? And right off the bat lets all admit that at one time or another, we have all been holding a phone while driving. Even with handsfree speakers, and headsets in the car, I sometime do not remember to turn them on, and then I invariably get a call that I have to pick up the phone for. So, who knows, your best (worst??) cell phone driver story could be about me!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
OK. We hammered the #### out of the left lane driver issue in the Worst Driver thread, but the top ranking in the Worst Driver poll was cell phone/texting drivers, and we have not heard any details!!!!

My biggest pet peeve with these are when they are pulling out onto a fairly busy road, or country highway, from a side street while holding a cell phone in one hand. They only use one hand to make the turn and therefore usually cannot stay in the right hand lane and drift over into the left in front of the oncoming traffic. That is assuming that they even looked for oncoming traffic in the first place.

What is your best cell phone driver story? And right off the bat lets all admit that at one time or another, we have all been holding a phone while driving. Even with handsfree speakers, and headsets in the car, I sometime do not remember to turn them on, and then I invariably get a call that I have to pick up the phone for. So, who knows, your best (worst??) cell phone driver story could be about me!!!!
Cell phone drivers driving slow in the left lane...

Old 07-07-2009, 01:42 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Twice I've seen cellphone users weave across lanes. Once I was behind a guy on a 2 lane road who kept drifting across the yellow line and then over onto the shoulder. I thought he was drunk at first but once I got around him I saw him talking on the phone. He wasn't even driving fast. In fact he was going about 20. So he was a slow driver on a 2 lane road talking.

Another one was also on a 2 lane rd. I was picking my niece up from school and had just made a right turn at the red light when the guy in front of me drifted into the left lane and kept driving there. It took him about 30-35 seconds to drift back over. That was worse than the weaver because he almost didn't move for oncoming traffic.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:52 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Cell phone drivers driving slow in the left lane...
That pretty much sums it up for me. Not everyone using a cell phone while driving is a complete menace. If that were the case, 85% of the people on the road would qualify. It's the ones who are chatting away and not paying attention to their speed or the other vehicles around them. For that matter, there are some that fit that category that aren't even on cell phones! But since that's what we're talking about here, the only ones that I've encountered are usually on 360 or Bee Cave in the left lane going well under the speed limit. By the time I finally get to pass them (usually on the right) I notice that they are completely oblivious to the traffic around them. Makes me want to just lay on the horn and shake 'em up a little.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:07 PM

I also had some girl yakking away on a cell phone while backing out of a parking spot at Best Buy. I had to lay on the horn to avoid her plowing into me as I sat there waiting for cars in front of me to move. She was so engrossed in her conversation that she could not see the big station wagon behind her.

What would have happened if instead of a car it was someone walking?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
They should make it a law that if you want to use your cellphone in the car, you have to have the number posted on your car somewhere visible. That way, if you are driving like an A$$, people can call you right then and complain.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
They should make it a law that if you want to use your cellphone in the car, you have to have the number posted on your car somewhere visible. That way, if you are driving like an A$$, people can call you right then and complain.

That's FUNNY!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:51 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
I saw a guy driving an SUV, on the phone, hit the guy in front of him (pretty hard, too). I could see his face very clearly. He didn't look the slightest bit dismayed and never got off the phone (he kept chatting away). He just swerved around the guy he'd hit, and kept going.

Luckily, he did this in front of about 4 cops and they all went roaring after him.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM

On TV you always see the scene where the cops pull a driver over while they're chatting on the phone and the driver just keeps on talking away ignoring the cop.

I wonder how many times that happens in real life?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I think most people can handle the occaissional short phone conversation while driving. It's the texting that drives me nuts.

There was this girl (and I say girl because she was maybe 18 at the most) weaving all over 360 a few weeks ago. When I finally am able to pass her, I see that she is texting and using both hands to do it!

As the proud owner of a huge SUV, I really almost wish one of those idiots would swerve into me. My car wouldn't have a dent; their's would be a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin