Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

The mercury levels have gone way down and the reduced electrical load lowers power requirements. Lower power requirements = less coal burned = less mercury from power plants. I have seen numbers shown both ways, and it is probably somewhere around a draw, but the mercury in the bulbs at least isnt spewed directly into the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I agree that CFLs have gotten strange lately. I replaced a row of them in a bathroom strip light - got them at Home Depot. The bulbs initially have a split second of brightness, then become dim. Its like the bathroom is lit by candles. It takes a few minutes before they are actually fully bright. I hate it! We just remodeled 2 bathrooms, and because of this problem, I purposefully bought light fixtures that use linear fluorescents. They are really great - bright, instant on, no problem. We may just get a new fixture for that strip light. I can't afford to keep trying CFLs to get ones that work well.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I agree that CFLs have gotten strange lately. I replaced a row of them in a bathroom strip light - got them at Home Depot. The bulbs initially have a split second of brightness, then become dim. Its like the bathroom is lit by candles. It takes a few minutes before they are actually fully bright. I hate it! We just remodeled 2 bathrooms, and because of this problem, I purposefully bought light fixtures that use linear fluorescents. They are really great - bright, instant on, no problem. We may just get a new fixture for that strip light. I can't afford to keep trying CFLs to get ones that work well.
Consider mixing CFLs with incandescent...we had one fixture with three lamps, left one of them incandescent and the other two CFL. You get the 'instant on' light and full light in less than a minute or so. Still save heat and money but you will have a 'blend' of light color.

Unfortunately, the Drees home(master bath) we're in now has HALOGEN lamps in EIGHT slots/two fixtures...smallest Halogen to fit is 50w!!! That's 400 watts to light a bathroom...never mind the 5 can lights in the ceiling! I can't believe electricity was THAT cheap five years ago!

We had early CFLs in our old house for over 8 years(laundry room, work shop) but I have had some fail in less than a year. Looks like LEDs have a ways to go before they are any better than lousy CFLs(and a lot more spendy). No free lunch, as they say.

Still, DW and I have replaced nearly every medium-base lamp with CFLs, saving power and heat output throughout the house.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:35 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Consider mixing CFLs with incandescent...we had one fixture with three lamps, left one of them incandescent and the other two CFL. You get the 'instant on' light and full light in less than a minute or so. Still save heat and money but you will have a 'blend' of light color.

Unfortunately, the Drees home(master bath) we're in now has HALOGEN lamps in EIGHT slots/two fixtures...smallest Halogen to fit is 50w!!! That's 400 watts to light a bathroom...never mind the 5 can lights in the ceiling! I can't believe electricity was THAT cheap five years ago!

We had early CFLs in our old house for over 8 years(laundry room, work shop) but I have had some fail in less than a year. Looks like LEDs have a ways to go before they are any better than lousy CFLs(and a lot more spendy). No free lunch, as they say.

Still, DW and I have replaced nearly every medium-base lamp with CFLs, saving power and heat output throughout the house.
That is a good compromise, I have done the same with the 8 can lights in the kitchen, leaving one of them incandescent and the rest CF. So we get one bright instant on light over the counter next to the sink.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,345 times

YouTube - IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT ENERGY SAVER LIGHT BULBS!

Old 07-09-2009, 01:01 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
Oh my, what an embarrassment. Sometimes I remember that I live in Texas.

These guys are the ones running our country. Wow.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Do you have recessed can lights with dimmers in the kitchen? The dimmer switches don't work well with CFL's as there is a "ballast" in the CFL (the heavy plastic thing at the base of the bulb) that initiates the light within the bulb. There is no "in-between" on CFL's unless you buy a special kind. The gas in the bulb is agitated by the ballast in a chain reaction with the result for the bulb to be either "on" or "off" - not "half-way" - or you get that weird "strobing" effect like when a tube flourescent is about to die.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
No, just on off switch in kitchen. That is something to keep in mind though, I have one dimmer in the dining room.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:28 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
No, just on off switch in kitchen. That is something to keep in mind though, I have one dimmer in the dining room.
Probably will still work IF the dimmer is on max. We have dimmer-style lamps that work fine w/CFLs as long as they are switched on full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin