Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:42 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times

Advertisements

We started using the new incandescent lights in our kitchen primarily because the regular ones would burn out frequently. Once we started using the new lights, however, we noticed that they aren't as powerful as the old lights. The light isn't as bright and doesn't even reach the work surface. I hate to go back to the old lights, but maybe it is the brand? Anyone else have problems with this type of lighting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Are they really new incandescents or some of the new Compact Fluorescent light bulbs, with the spiral tubes? The CF bulbs take some time to warm up and reach full luminosity, but they still seem a little dimmer to me then the incandescents they are supposed to be comparable to.

Probably all of the lightbulb companies are doing whatever they can to stay competitive, including making incandescents that are less luminous if they can reduce the energy consumption a bit. For example the "double life" 60 watt bulbs may have longer life but probably have thicker filaments that burn cooler and put out less lumens of light in order to burn longer.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:56 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuledbyBlueBell View Post
We started using the new incandescent lights in our kitchen primarily because the regular ones would burn out frequently. Once we started using the new lights, however, we noticed that they aren't as powerful as the old lights. The light isn't as bright and doesn't even reach the work surface. I hate to go back to the old lights, but maybe it is the brand? Anyone else have problems with this type of lighting?
i don't know if the light isn't as bright BUT i'll say using incandescent light bulbs is definitely not bright

why are you still using incandescent light bulbs anyway? they are more expensive; they generate a lot of heat (90% of the power they draw goes to producing heat instead of light); and the light color is not as pleasant as energy saving light bulbs -- something you can get for about $1 each these days. (a lot of coupon discounts available)

I got 4 for free a few months back (after coupon).

Old 07-08-2009, 05:51 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Also, the government is actually phasing out incandescent bulbs. 100Ws to be gone by 2012, 60W in 2014...

Specifics of Existing Incandescent Phase Out - 2007 Energy Bill

The new CF bulbs don't seem to have the big delay in achieving full brightness. I haven't noticed that they are significantly dimmer, but I guess they could be. You could always go for a higher wattage CF bulb. The standard replacements seem to be 15-17 watts, but you can get 20+ watt ones.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
These are not the spiral bulbs and I was totally wrong- they are CFLs, and they are awful.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
So far as I've been able to determine, all the CF bulbs are made by American companies in China. The reason probably has to do with pollution controls, but I don't care about that. I do care about supporting American workers so I won't buy the things.

Y'all shouldn't either. In fact, you shouldn't buy anything which has been offshored for cheap labor or any other reason. With millions of our people out of work, those companies can either bring those jobs back or lose the sale.

And, be sure and e-mail them WHY you won't buy them.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:45 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,755 times
The problem I have with CFL's is the time they take to get to full brightness which is especially apparent when the ambient temperature is low. I have seen them completely fail to start in outdoor settings at freezing temps. Also whilst they might be energy efficient, they are full of mercury and other environmentally damaging chemicals (note they should not even be disposed of in the regular garbage).
My final problem with them is they do not seem to last. All the enticing figures they put on the packaging talk about amazing long lifetimes and good return on investment….it seems like the cheap crap (i.e. most of them) only last 12-18 months with average use before they die. In most cases it is the starting circuit not the actual CFL that goes (again crappy under-engineered components from china that are designed to fail prematurely). I changed all my bulbs to CFL's as the regular ones died, but recently I have been putting back regular bulbs, as the payback just doesn't seem to make sense financially

- Tim

Old 07-08-2009, 07:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuledbyBlueBell View Post
These are not the spiral bulbs and I was totally wrong- they are CFLs, and they are awful.
Your statement has a contradiction. Almost all CFLs have a spiral construction - even if the package looks semi-normal (like a floodlight).

As said before - buy a higher wattage CFL if you want more light. They still use far less electricity than an incandescent of the same light output.

I have found that the really cheap CFLs do NOT last anywhere near as long as claimed. So I usually buy GE or similar brands at Sams Club.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:09 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
The problem I have with CFL's is the time they take to get to full brightness which is especially apparent when the ambient temperature is low. I have seen them completely fail to start in outdoor settings at freezing temps. Also whilst they might be energy efficient, they are full of mercury and other environmentally damaging chemicals (note they should not even be disposed of in the regular garbage).

that's the first generation CFL's. The recently produced CFL's take far less time to warm up to full brightness. But they still contain mercury.

LED's might be the answer after all. They are far more efficient than CFL's and can last really long.

Quote:
My final problem with them is they do not seem to last. All the enticing figures they put on the packaging talk about amazing long lifetimes and good return on investment….it seems like the cheap crap (i.e. most of them) only last 12-18 months with average use before they die. In most cases it is the starting circuit not the actual CFL that goes (again crappy under-engineered components from china that are designed to fail prematurely). I changed all my bulbs to CFL's as the regular ones died, but recently I have been putting back regular bulbs, as the payback just doesn't seem to make sense financially
Quality control problems ... part of the learning curve (and cost) of cheap labor in China, since most of them are made in China.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:34 PM

324 posts, read 1,311,834 times
i'm stocking up on regular old light bulbs, no mercury to be concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin