Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Exactly...a combination of a few things..."BAD" is a negative connotation, which is just shorthand for a combination of factors, road infrastructure being near the top....also, another factor right up there is the % of new people in Austin, feeling out the roads/areas......horrible signage is another issue, along with the locating of a large amount of retail on I-35 frontage roads, with tons of people trying to get on the interstate exit at once........
And not just new people feeling out the roads/areas, but new people with a wide variety of driving laws/customs from wherever they came from, all converging here and driving the same way they did where they came from, so all driving different ways on the same roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:29 PM

475 posts, read 1,094,151 times
Well if I read this correctly, the best way to avoid accidents in Austin is to have your car insurance with a company other than Allstate. It seems that in Austin, they insure people with a propensity to have accidents.

Yes, I posted the same thing in the San Antonio forum.

Last edited by datacity; 07-09-2009 at 07:46 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 07:32 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
Quote:
the above statement implies the infrastructure was to blame, not the drivers, right?
No, I stated that infrastructure was a cause of bad driving, nowhere did I say that its the sole reason. You made an assumption there. Usually there are factors that increase the chances of accidents on the road, and infrastructure is a big one. However, I think common logic is lost on you...
Quote:
When I said, "I don't think people in Austin are bad drivers so much as the infrastructure can't support the number of driver's on the road. The roads are just too crowded, which increases the chances of a mistake happening. All the crowding creates road rage."

Quote:
there is a problem with this argument: LA has far higher car density than Austin, and where is LA on the list?
Did you actually read the OP? If you had you would have noticed LA was ranked lower than Austin. So that actually reinforces my argument.

Quote:
me or you?
YOU.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:15 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
No, I stated that infrastructure was a cause of bad driving, nowhere did I say that its the sole reason. You made an assumption there.
No assumption there. You clearly stated that infrastructure was more to blame than the drivers.

Quote:
Usually there are factors that increase the chances of accidents on the road, and infrastructure is a big one. However, I think common logic is lost on you...
If a driver can't handle traffic jams, he/she is a bad driver. Unless the roads move while people are driving on them, it's pretty lame and pathetic to blame the infrastructure for collisions. Are you sure you understand the meaning of the word "logic"?

Quote:
Did you actually read the OP?
No, but when Austin is ranked near the bottom of the list with a relatively low car density, it doesn't really matter that much.

Quote:
If you had you would have noticed LA was ranked lower than Austin. So that actually reinforces my argument.
Wrong, it doesn't reinforce your argument. In fact yours is not much of an argument. It's just a lame, clowning excuse we normally hear from teenagers. And it doesn't really call for a serious rebuttal.

Common sense dictates that the drivers must adjust their speeds to the road conditions, avoid multi-tasking, be alert, and control their emotions. If they can't, they are bad drivers! Period.

BTW, NY, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Dallas, DC ... all have higher car densities than Austin.

You would have a better chance if you blamed the Sun, the wind, the rains, the trees, the squirrels, the dogs, or the cars and car makers instead of the infrastructure.

Last edited by austinite45; 07-09-2009 at 08:29 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 08:34 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
No assumption there. You clearly stated that infrastructure was more to blame than the drivers.

If a driver can't handle traffic jams, he/she is a bad driver. Unless the roads move while people are driving on them, it's pretty lame and pathetic to blame the infrastructure for collisions. Are you sure you understand the meaning of the word "logic"?

No, but when Austin is ranked near the bottom of the list with a relatively low car density, it doesn't really matter that much.

Wrong, it doesn't reinforce your argument. In fact yours is not much of an argument. It's just a lame, clowning excuse we normally hear from teenagers. And it doesn't really call for a serious rebuttal.

Common sense dictates that the drivers must adjust their speeds to the road conditions, avoid multi-tasking, be alert, and control their emotions. If they can't, they are bad drivers! Period.

BTW, NY, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Dallas, DC ... all have higher car densities.
Now, you are arguing for the sake of arguing and acting very immature.

You can believe what you want. I agree that there are bad drivers in Austin that drive too fast or talk on their cell phones. Also, I believe that the infrastructure is inadequate for the amount of cars the road. There are bigger cities that have a better ranking. You also must take into account that they probably have better infrastructure too.

Its just a discussion on a forum and not a philosophical so calm down buddy.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times

Thank you. Thank you.

Seriously, I love Austin. But the roads, infrastructure and the type of drivers it forces people there to be, I really don't miss. Not one bit. I know it hurts, and it's kind of mean...but Austin drivers suck...BIG TIME. Some are just being who they are. Most I would say are being like that simply due to attitude and lack of infrastructure. Dallas has a population 2x (metro) of Austin. I travel on of the WORST roads in the area (I-75). And at it's worst traffic congestion and packed with accidents, it has been a tremendous joy to travel compared with Austin traffic. The people here complain about the traffic, but they simply have no idea until they spend a week or so in Austin traffic. Then they don't complain anymore.

The biggest thing going for Austin is...they don't shoot at stupid drivers like they do in Dallas County. Lesson is...don't go to Dallas County during rush hour...carry your own gun...don't do something stupid. LOL.

don't be mad Austin...it's because I love you. Oh, and by the way...it's called a turn-signal. USE IT!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post

Thank you. Thank you.

Seriously, I love Austin. But the roads, infrastructure and the type of drivers it forces people there to be, I really don't miss. Not one bit. I know it hurts, and it's kind of mean...but Austin drivers suck...BIG TIME. Some are just being who they are. Most I would say are being like that simply due to attitude and lack of infrastructure. Dallas has a population 2x (metro) of Austin. I travel on of the WORST roads in the area (I-75). And at it's worst traffic congestion and packed with accidents, it has been a tremendous joy to travel compared with Austin traffic. The people here complain about the traffic, but they simply have no idea until they spend a week or so in Austin traffic. Then they don't complain anymore.

The biggest thing going for Austin is...they don't shoot at stupid drivers like they do in Dallas County. Lesson is...don't go to Dallas County during rush hour...carry your own gun...don't do something stupid. LOL.

don't be mad Austin...it's because I love you. Oh, and by the way...it's called a turn-signal. USE IT!
Dallas has a metro 5-6 times the metro pop of Austin...not 2X

Old 07-10-2009, 11:16 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
Its all of those speeding drivers in the left lane running into the slow drivers in the left lane, while both are talking on their cells phones!!!
That was my first guess.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Texas is widely recognized as the worst state when it comes to driving.

Austin is the state capital. Got to be a "good" representative of the state.

Good to know that there are better drivers elsewhere in the country.
It is nice to know no matter where you drive to on vacation, its probably safer then driving in Austin!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu
I don't think people in Austin are bad drivers so much as the infrastructure can't support the number of driver's on the road. The roads are just too crowded, which increases the chances of a mistake happening. All the crowding creates road rage. Also if you want to drink at night Austin has extremley bad public transportation so lots of drunk drivers on the road.
Quote:
I see. so drunk drivers are not bad drivers?

and Austin's bad, pot-hole-ridden roads have been the cause of collisions?
joejitsu's statements are entirely reasonable. Austin's drivers come from all over the US, moving to Austin doesn't automatically make them bad drivers so there have to be other factors at work here. If all other factors were equal, Austin's drivers would be average since they represent a cross section of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin