Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:38 PM

10 posts, read 40,884 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a new home in Steiner ranch area in a new subdivision that has greenbelt on two sides and lots of trees (canyon views) across the street. My husband and I really like the house and the views it offers but I have snake phobia. I've heard and read a lot about snake sightings in the greenbelt area but I still want to get everyone's input.
1. How often do you see snakes in the greenbelt areas?
2. Is there an effective snake control program that I can use? any information to keep the snakes away from the property would be helpful.
3. Would all the construction activity stir up the snakes? This subdivision still has lot of vacant space and new homes will be built in this area?
4. Can the snakes get into the house and into the attic? When is the active season for snakes?
5. Would a good pest control help eliminate all the bugs in and around the house?

I am imagining the snakes, scorpions and tarantulas etc. getting into the house, attic, yard and just about everywhere and just not able to make a decision and just terrified about the idea of these creatures biting one of my kids. Is there any place in Steiner where I do not encounter any of these? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 05:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
If you see snakes more than likely you also have a rodent problem.
This is Texas..you cannot get rid of bugs no matter how hard you try.
10 years in my home and I've seen plenty of snakes, never in the house though.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:32 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you see snakes more than likely you also have a rodent problem.
This is Texas..you cannot get rid of bugs no matter how hard you try.
10 years in my home and I've seen plenty of snakes, never in the house though.
You won't see bugs inside if you have a good pest control program. I disagree with your statement.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Thank you for your response. Is there any good snake control program that anyone can recommend?

Old 07-02-2009, 06:32 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,206 times
-- The cat (Felis catus), also known as the domestic cat or house cat to distinguish it from other felines and felids, is a small predatory carnivorous species of crepuscular mammal that is valued by humans for its companionship and its ability to hunt vermin, snakes, scorpions, and other unwanted household pests. It has been associated with humans for at least 9,500 years. --

(Not to say that a cat isn't an unwanted household pest -- ask me about my rug!!)

Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newaustinite View Post
Thank you for your response. Is there any good snake control program that anyone can recommend?
Are you just trying to say you want a way to kill snakes? Really, I would say that if you can't stand the wildlife in an area, you had best not move there.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:30 PM

No. I am not asking for a way to kill snakes. All I am asking is if there is a way to keep them away from the house and yard. We haven't moved to Austin yet and we are in the process of making a decision to buy a house on the greenbelt in Steiner ranch area.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Best way to keep them off your property is to create a non snake-friendly landscape. Stay away from low ground cover like ivy or tall grass, in favor of things with less cover at the base (like sage, crepe myrtle, etc). Keep your property clear of debris piles, tree trimmings, etc. Follow the advice here:Snake Proofing

You will at some point encounter a snake, probably on the greenbelt trail.. it's not that bad, you'll probably only spot them for a few seconds as they slither away. But you'll see how they like the near-water areas, and low brush, and you'll learn where you probably don't want to step wearing sandals.

As for the other bugs... yes, the construction around will rile them up. Get a maintenance plan with a pest company like ABC pest control, which will re-treat for free as many times as you need (beyond their regular quarterly service). I live near a greenbelt, where we should be getting all kinds of bugs... but we've been 99% bug-free since using ABC. The 1 or 2 times I saw a roach or something, I'd call them for a re-treat. Seems to be working, as I haven't needed extra treatment from them this year.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Are you talking about a greenbelt IN Steiner, or the Balcones Canyonlands preserve that Steiner borders?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 PM

Greenbelt in Steiner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin