Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:02 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
It just has me curious is all because I can drive a mile from my house in the "burbs" and encounter dozens of small businesses. Mom & Pop restaurants, local franchises, local mechanics, vets, accountants, gyms, martial arts studios, doctor's offices... Do these not count? Surely they overrun the HEB, McD's, and Starbucks enough to drive the percentage up higher than the light shading on the map.

I was about to 2nd you here. I can find lots of local owned businesses, Even in rural parts of the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:09 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I was about to 2nd you here. I can find lots of local owned businesses, Even in rural parts of the county.
Real rural parts, sure. And those are usually the BEST locally owned businesses (unlimited awesome BBQ for $7!!!!!).

But less so in the burbs. More big box and chains in my experience.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:19 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
The burbs, the rural area, the sprawl, eclectic, whatever. I like to shop. Please bring more shopping alternatives to Hutto. I'm already tired of having to drive all the way to Round Rock. I say bring it. And I'm not going to apologize for it. And they don't have to be the big franchises...small businesses would do, what you all call mom and pop places. Hutto hasn't caught up with its population me thinks.

Do I sound like I'm complaining? Ok, a YMCA or a YWCA would be nice in Hutto too, or a community center. Sorry, if I'm trying to make Hutto like where we came from but the community center we had was really, really nice. Swimming pools, classes for the kids, big courts, work out areas, all kinds of fitness classes, etc. It would be nice to see that here.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 07-13-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 09:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
If you have them there, shop at 'em!.......I've found RR, CP, Leander, and Georgetown to be somewhat antiseptic and lacking a local flavor and look, but if you found decent local biz, please support 'em! Indeed, there may be no "pretty" local shopping districts in the burbs, and the "Malling of American" look is everywhere dense there, but you can find local diamonds in the rough there too!

Support local biz! That includes the burbs, if you can find 'em!
The fact that you think that Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander, and Georgetown are all lacking in local flavor is proof positive that you don't spend more time there than is needed to drive past. Remember, they all started as small towns in their own right, and there are local businesses still there from that time, and local businesses that have opened since then.

You're making assumptions based on the very clear agenda that you've been showing in your posts and threads here, and we all know what happens when one assumes, right?

For example, making the assumption that the map supported that agenda, only to find out:

"LOL! My former coworker made that map a few years back to enter in GIS day. It was just for fun and not based on any kind of accurate study."

Oops!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
The burbs, the rural area, the sprawl, eclectic, whatever. I like to shop. Please bring more shopping alternatives to Hutto. I'm already tired of having to drive all the way to Round Rock. I say bring it. And I'm not going to apologize for it. And they don't have to be the big franchises...small businesses would do, what you all call mom and pop places. Hutto hasn't caught up with its population me thinks.

Do I sound like I'm complaining? Ok, a YMCA or a YWCA would be nice in Hutto too, or a community center. Sorry, if I'm trying to make Hutto like where we came from but the community center we had was really, really nice. Swimming pools, classes for the kids, big courts, work out areas, all kinds of fitness classes, etc. It would be nice to see that here.
Actually, the local parks department last year put out a survey about getting a YMCA. They got lots of support from online responses and mail in ballots. I'm not sure what's going on with that, but I know that there is something in the works. Don't apologize for wanting more shopping to come here. You're definitely not alone in that respect

Have you gotten a EDC magazine yet? They come in the mail once every few months and it tells you all about what's going on around here and business buzz, etc...Community Impact paper is pretty good too.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:58 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
No EDC magazine yet. I'm so excited thinking there could be a Y here in Hutto. Awesome!

We don't raise our own food and we're on the grid so we do have to go grocery shopping. I discovered very quickly that the nearest stores were in Round Rock. Some people think the Walmart is in Hutto but it isn't. Evidently it's right on the border.

If I had to name a few things that I was having somewhat of a hard time getting used to it would be the newness of everything here. Everything seems new.

I'm not complaining. I kinda like not worrying about whether or not the pump and the sump pump are working in the basement.

I do miss the ice cold water though that I used to be able to get from the tap. I'm not sure the water here ever gets cold.

Overall though the general consensus is we seem to like it here...hot and all. We seem to be acclimating a bit more to the heat. The first couple weeks we were really draggin!

The other thing is I discovered I don't have one thing that's orange in my closet!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
yes......note the lack of shading in the "burbs" as well.......and the plethora of it in the central area......and look at where all those shopping districts in that other post are..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, if anyone is into cool architectural firms, check this one out....not from Austin(actually Philly), but my God, how hip and eclectic its work is......wonder if they've done any work in Austin......seems like an Austin-y place...

VSBA : Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates, Architects and Planners

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________

BBTW, we need a storefront like this in Austin!

http://www.vsba.com/pdfs/BestProducts01.pdf (broken link)
I have been a fan of that architects work since the 70's. They are very famous in architectural circles.

In 1983 or so, VSBA, Robert Venturi and Denise Scott-Brown designed the Laguna Gloria Art Museum that was to be built downtown. The City commited to providing part of the funding if the Museum provided the rest. Unfortunately the museum could not come up with their share of the funding, so the City ended up buying the construction documents from VDSB and archive them in the even it was ever possible to fund it in the future.

City of Austin - Downtown Art Museum

The design they came up with was actually pretty disappointing from my perspective, not up to their usual standards. The firm was very arrogant to work with and seemed to have an negative opinion of Texas. At one point the project manager who worked with them provided them with a list of review comments regarding the construction documents, pointing out that some of the public restrooms on the main floor of the museum were not handicapped accessible. The firm replied with a snippy letter accusing the project manager of "gratuitous intrusion" into their design process.

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-14-2009 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 AM

76 posts, read 424,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The fact that you think that Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander, and Georgetown are all lacking in local flavor is proof positive that you don't spend more time there than is needed to drive past. Remember, they all started as small towns in their own right, and there are local businesses still there from that time, and local businesses that have opened since then.

You're making assumptions based on the very clear agenda that you've been showing in your posts and threads here, and we all know what happens when one assumes, right?

For example, making the assumption that the map supported that agenda, only to find out:

"LOL! My former coworker made that map a few years back to enter in GIS day. It was just for fun and not based on any kind of accurate study."

Oops!
Exactly! Those "anticeptic" 'burbs have quaint little old downtowns filled will local businesses, farmers markets, and festivals. They have a lot more personality than what you see going 70 mph on 35 or 183. Believe it or not, RR, PF CP, Leander, & GT have histories that pre-date the Walmart and Target.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
What criteria did they use for making this map?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have been a fan of that architects work since the 70's. They are very famous in architectural circles.

In 1983 or so, VSBA, Robert Venturi and Denise Scott-Brown designed the Laguna Gloria Art Museum that was to be built downtown. The City commited to providing part of the funding if the Museum provided the rest. Unfortunately the museum could not come up with their share of the funding, so the City ended up buying the construction documents from VDSB and archive them in the even it was ever possible to fund it in the future.

City of Austin - Downtown Art Museum

The design they came up with was actually pretty disappointing from my perspective, not up to their usual standards. The firm was very arrogant to work with and seemed to have an negative opinion of Texas. At one point the project manager who worked with them provided them with a list of review comments regarding the construction documents, pointing out that some of the public restrooms on the main floor of the museum were not handicapped accessible. The firm replied with a snippy letter accusing the project manager of "gratuitous intrusion" into their design process.
Looks like they've done some work in Houston..perhaps they are more geared towards large cities(arch firm)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin