Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:03 AM

198 posts, read 500,653 times

Advertisements

OK, So we've had this phone number since June '08. All the phone calls for the person who had the number previously went to our voice mail and we just deleted them remotely. Now that we live here and we actually answer the phone, well, the calls for her have become annoying beyond words. We get 15 calls minumum a week for the "young lady" all from credit collection agencies. I've tried talking to the agency phone representatives, all to no avail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Ask the phone company to change your number.

If that is not workable, let your answering machine answer it and put a message on it saying "so and so" is no longer at this phone number, it has been reassigned to a new customer. If you have a message for the "your name" family, please leave it at the beep.

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-14-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 PM

76 posts, read 424,037 times
We've been getting collection calls for a Brandy Bodine for the last 4 or so years. We've had our currect phone number for 6 years. It's crazy! The calls seem to come in spurts -- lots in a short period of time, then none for a while. We've tried everything to no avail. We haven't gotten any in a while, so maybe they finally got the message. Since I'm not going to change my phone number, I try to look at is as an opportunity to take out my aggression when I get a call.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
I had someone call my house trying to reach someone at that number, and when I told them that they did not live there and never had, they stopped calling. Might have just been lucky....

Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 PM

544 posts, read 1,667,625 times
try getting on the do not call list

Old 07-14-2009, 01:55 PM

326 posts, read 764,789 times
Some people list random numbers for their bill contact info and some others list numbers close to their home # but not exact to avoid phone calls from collect agencies. I know someone listed her work number as her home # so she doesn't get bothered at home. So some of us get these kind of phone calls. Putting your number on no-call list doesn't help, because they can claim that someone listed this number as their contact info.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
We've gotten a few calls from debt collectors on our line over the years. I don't think you can completely get rid of them, as they are often "fishing" for people with similar names, relatives, etc. of those who have debts. Feel free to tell them the person they are looking for is not at the number, but by all means NEVER give the debt collectors any of your information. They don't care if they have the right person, just so long as they can get enough information to apply the debt to your credit report. Then, they hope, you'll just pay them off to get the mistake "taken care of".

Be sure your # is on the do-not-call list (http://donotcall.gov). If the same collection companies are calling, look up the number in google, it should take you to a site like whocalled.us. That site may have the collection company's main address info, which you could use to send a cease-and-desist.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,793 times
Some joker with the same name as my husband apparently gave the Scientology people our number or the Scientology people looked up a number by this other persons name. It goes in spurts, but they have called us for several years and refuse to take our number off their list. One man about 3 years ago said he would take the number off and for almost 2 years we got no calls. Then they started again, a couple times a week and at all hours. the 7am on Saturday really got old fast. Husband is now at the point he is screaming at them that he is not that person and to take our number off their list.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:54 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
Some joker with the same name as my husband apparently gave the Scientology people our number or the Scientology people looked up a number by this other persons name. It goes in spurts, but they have called us for several years and refuse to take our number off their list. One man about 3 years ago said he would take the number off and for almost 2 years we got no calls. Then they started again, a couple times a week and at all hours. the 7am on Saturday really got old fast. Husband is now at the point he is screaming at them that he is not that person and to take our number off their list.
Couldn't something like this be classified as harassment?

Old 07-14-2009, 03:17 PM

515 posts, read 1,397,115 times
Someone named Lisa had our phone number before we got it, and she obviously wasn't paying her bills or being a very good parent as we kept getting calls from bill collectors and child protective services. I kept telling those that called that this Liza somebody or other no longer has this phone number and it's now ours, so please stop calling. After about 8 months of annoying calls people finally stopped calling. Hang in there, the callers will eventually go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: