Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,069 times

Advertisements

If you are planning to wear a tradidional wedding dress, you will be miserable and your make-up will be running off your face. Your groom/groomsmen will not be able to wear a tux. Even if the ceremony is only 15 minutes, you guys will be outside much longer for pictures, etc... I would not risk it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:27 PM

98 posts, read 295,242 times
Last year I got married mid May in CA. Average temps for that weekend were 75-85. It was an outside ceremony and reception. About three days before the weather reported a dramatic change in weather. It was 105!! Almost everyone still came. We started at 6 and made sure that everyone would be in the shade. We provided water at the guest book for the ceremony and luckily had a great caterer who allowed us to change our menu on a very short notice. We all survived, (though it we were worried about a 7 week old baby who turned bright red, and spent a lot of the time in the walk in freezer). I was hot, but still had a good time, I was just annoyed how people in little dresses were complaining to me about how hot it was. Umm, do you see the 18 layers of this dress!!

I think your idea would work. Ceremony 15 minutes long outside, reception inside. Are they going to be at the same place? Can people stand inside until you are ready? Things do happen that may make the wedding late, and you don't want them to sit in the heat for an hour. Make sure it is in the shade and provide ice water. Some people may not come, but the people who matter will be there.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:28 PM

98 posts, read 295,242 times
Yes, makeup is a good point. Make sure you schedule time to fix up your makeup before pics. I did not do this and I'm pretty shiny in some pics.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:09 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickledpink View Post
I am planning my wedding for 2010. I want to get married the beginning of June. Ideally I will have an outdoor ceremony (in shade!) and an indoor reception.

I am even considering July... since venues are as much as 1000+ dollars cheaper in July vs. June.

Will I make my guests miserable? We won't have a long ceremony... 15 minutes tops probably. Have you been to a wedding outside this time of year? Did it make you want to leave?

Thanks!

Edit: Topic is supposed to say ceremony, not reception.
I'm starting to overheat just thinking about it, and I haven't even moved to Texas yet. It's about 100 today in my neck of the woods, and who wants to get dressed up in weather like this to sit outside even in the shade. Now maybe if it were a really casual wedding it might be easier, but anything formal the wedding party and guest will just melt.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:34 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
An outdoor wedding in this heat would be bad idea. Unless everyone is wearing swim suits and hip deep in water at one of the local spring fed pools, or even Lake Travis.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:39 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
If you can possibly move it up or move it later than June or you can stick with June and have the ceremony later in the evening. Daylight saving time is your friend during the summer and you can get away starting at 8 pm.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:39 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times
Yeah, I'd go but wouldn't enjoy it as much as I'd want to. I'd be too itchy, hot, worried about my make-up, frizzy hair, elastic and anything else touching my body with sweat running down me and my soaking wet bra. And I'd be thinking about how quickly I'd be able to get to my shower and cold A/C.

But yes, I'd go. Women can always wear a cotton dress, but make sure the guys can wear (and are aware that they can wear) slacks and a linen shirt or something tie-less.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:18 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I would certainly attend, but I am heat tolerant. Some of the grandmas might not be able to stand the heat. I would certainly think it would be prudent to keep people out of the direct sunlight somehow. Or keep the ceremony short and sweet...
That's true, austin-steve. I attended a summer, outdoor wedding a couple of years ago. It was almost ruined when an older guest collapsed. Ambulances, paramedics, upset children...it wasn't pretty. (although taken to the hospital, he recovered)

Old 07-14-2009, 06:23 PM

198 posts, read 500,618 times
My son and daughter-in-law were married in early May and my youngest son (wearing a tux - ring bearer) passed out in the 80ish sunshine. The wedding was lovely, but I "melted" in 10 minutes; I am not heat tolerant.

Maybe late May and an early evening wedding? If you time it right the wildflowers will be blooming.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
You might think of having the wedding in the morning, like a brunch?, if the ceremony were to be in the shade, and short it would be fine. I am fine with the heat, I love it actually, so I would go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin