Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,069 times

Advertisements

My husband has been out of work for a few months and just got a job (yeah!). He starts on the 27th, so I was thinking that we should take this opportunity to go somewhere for two days. We have 2 1/2 yr. old twins. I was thinking the beach (Corpus), then my boss reminded me that it's 105 degrees and the kids would be miserable. Does anyone have any ideas? I think they're too young to float the river or to do water parks. We wouldn't want to drive more than 3 or 4 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
actually, judging by todays temps on a weather map I just googled, it looks cooler towards the coast and S. Texas than it does Central or North.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Congratulations to Pop on getting a job!

It takes a whole day of driving to get out of Texas, and its hot everywhere in Texas. However, in Port A the daily high temperatures are predicted to be only 96 to 94 degres over the next 10 days. At the beach in Port Aransas it is usually cooler then the land temperatures and there is always a breeze blowing, which makes it more comfortable if you are wet or playing in the surf. The Port A sea buoy PTAT2 ( this is actually a weather station on the pier at Port A) http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=ptat2 indicates the Air Temp: 28°C (83 °F) Sea Surf Temp: 30 °C (86 °F) and the Sea Temperature never staying below 90 degrees.

If you want to say closer to home you definitely need to plan on watersports if you are going to be outside at all in this heat. Spring feed pools are quite cooling, as the average temperature of water coming out of the ground is around 68 degrees. Does anyone know if Barton Springs pool has a wading pool for the little kids?

Or for something different try Krause Springs, Krause Springs - Spicewood, TX as I recall they have a spring feed wading pool that is safe for the little ones. You might call and verify that first, as its been a few years since I went there.

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-14-2009 at 03:03 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 02:59 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,772 times
Corpus might not be too bad with the kids. Weekdays would be less crowded than weekend. You could do the beach earlier or later in the day, then find other activities to fill the other times. Since the kids are under 3, you wouldn't have to pay admission fees for them most places such as the USS Lexington and the aquarium. There is a paddlewheeler that does a short tour of the bay and I think younger kids are free on that as well. Depending on when you go, the Hooks might be playing at Whataburger Field. There is a passenger-only (no cars) ferry that runs just in the summer - it is a few dollars a person. I believe there are also "trolleys" (not real trolleys, just a smaller bus that looks like a trolley) that run in the summer - kids like to ride those and don't need a particular destination.

There are other places to visit, but if you pick Corpus, I think it will be fine even if it is hot.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:58 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Does anyone know if Barton Springs pool has a wading pool for the little kids?
On our last visit down to Austin we went to Barton Springs and if you go to the very end, there is a concrete type of area that little ones could stand on. My kids were 2 and 5 at the time and they did fine. I would recommend water shoes though as it's very slippery. It kept them occupied for about an hour or so. Congrats on DH's job! That's quite an accomplishment in this day and age.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:02 PM

139 posts, read 350,857 times
Yes, throw them in Barton Springs! That will cool things down.

Corpus is actually very windy so while you are hot, there are usually steady ocean breezes. Relatively inexpensive, too.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:21 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
You can drive to ABIA and then take a plane somewhere else--otherwise I think you're out of luck!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
San Angelo is cooler climate wise....I'd say even a bit better as a city too

Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,522 times
We have been hanging out at the Rock N River in Round Rock. It's a smaller water park and perfect for smaller kids.....and cheap. There is also a small waterpark like pool in Pflugerville...Scott Mentz pool I think it is called. Both of those places would be great for smaller kids.

I personally wouldn't try Barton Springs with littlier ones. The algae is terrible and it's very slippery there. It's a great place for older folks but unless you want to spend your time holding your kids I would choose the latter options.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Congratulations on the job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin