Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:10 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,016,283 times

Advertisements

In one year......again.....in one year, Austin's unemployment rate has gone up 56%......in one month it went up almost a full point, from May's 6.2%
to June's 7.1%....July's has not been announced yet, but it presumably is higher as well, per the past trajectory......

Simple question....will people continue to come when jobs stay static? I remember seeing posts from Michiganders a year ago complaining about a 7% plus UR a year ago....now Austin has one itself.....will people flee bad regional areas for a 7%+ unemployment rate?

My answer...yes...until things even out....they will KEEP coming, as long as their rate is 2-3% higher......Still Shocked that Austin's UR went from 4.5 to 7 % in one year.....wow...

Article....

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin...3/daily43.html

Last edited by inthecut; 07-18-2009 at 03:46 AM..

Old 07-18-2009, 07:15 AM

80 posts, read 107,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
In one year......again.....in one year, Austin's unemployment rate has gone up 56%......in one month it went up almost a full point, from May's 6.2%
to June's 7.1%....July's has not been announced yet, but it presumably is higher as well, per the past trajectory......

Simple question....will people continue to come when jobs stay static? I remember seeing posts from Michiganders a year ago complaining about a 7% plus UR a year ago....now Austin has one itself.....will people flee bad regional areas for a 7%+ unemployment rate?

My answer...yes...until things even out....they will KEEP coming, as long as their rate is 2-3% higher......Still Shocked that Austin's UR went from 4.5 to 7 % in one year.....wow...

Article....

Austin unemployment hits 7.1% - Austin Business Journal:

Didn't you get the memo, "George W. Bush Destroyed America and its Economy". I don't like it either but it is what America, or at least Texas voted for twice. Whether he ever really won the national election either time with out cheating is still questionable. Oh well you get what you vote for and today's America is the perfect example. Way to go Texas, you helped destroy America.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:28 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,966,940 times
I have an idea...why don't all you posters that seem to despise American go live in another country?

American is still a great country and Texas has obviously been doing things right, (and so have many other states). Texas is a great state.

As far as George Bush...get over it already. In case you haven't noticed he isn't in office any longer. Move on and stop blaming.

Be sure to post when you go live in that other country and let us know how things are.

Lastly, while unemployment rates are high, (Michigan is now over 15%) the jump happens every summer doesn't it?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:36 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,596,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Odessan in Austin View Post
Didn't you get the memo, "George W. Bush Destroyed America and its Economy". I don't like it either but it is what America, or at least Texas voted for twice. Whether he ever really won the national election either time with out cheating is still questionable. Oh well you get what you vote for and today's America is the perfect example. Way to go Texas, you helped destroy America.

You're obviously trolling. Bush hasn't been in office for some time now. Today's America has Obama and it really doesn't seem like he's doing much better at this point. America's not destroyed. Take that drivel to some other forum.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:50 AM

80 posts, read 107,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I have an idea...why don't all you posters that seem to despise American go live in another country?

American is still a great country and Texas has obviously been doing things right, (and so have many other states). Texas is a great state.

As far as George Bush...get over it already. In case you haven't noticed he isn't in office any longer. Move on and stop blaming.

Be sure to post when you go live in that other country and let us know how things are.

Lastly, while unemployment rates are high, (Michigan is now over 15%) the jump happens every summer doesn't it?

Who is blaming, America is way past the point of blaming. The damage is done and the American economy may never recover the effects of GWB's failed administration. The economy won't reach the bottom until most states and the federal government has declared bankruptcy, not to mention most large municipalities. My point was that if Texans would have been smarter, GWB would never have been president or even governor for that matter. Oh well, at least the people that were telling me during GWB's administration that "Jesus walked with the dinosaurs", got their way

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
http://www.dailysquib.co.uk/tpllib/img.php?im=cat_120/1236.jpg&w=240&h=251 (broken link)

Scientists Prove Jesus Walked with Dinosaurs

Besides, I was just answering the original posters question of how we got here, not blaming, just stating the facts and effects of GWB's failed administration.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:56 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,596,033 times
You're blaming you just will never admit it. Bush didn't do it all by himself, he did have a democratic Congress to back him up. When are you gonna wake up and see that Dem's and Repubs are mostly two different sides of the same coin and display some truly educated understanding of that. Show some independent thinking. Don't spout straight party line drivel they taught you in college a year ago.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:14 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
Back ON TOPIC ... The increase in unemployment didn't just suddenly happen, see this graph here http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/00/02/10/image_8610020.jpg (broken link) If you smooth out the zigs and zags it has shown a study increase.

This was front page headline in the Statesman today. Austin job market sputtered in June (http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/employment/2009/07/18/0718texjobs.html - broken link)

I think its important to let everyone know who might be moving here without jobs lined up that the picture is not as rosy now as it was earlier in the year.

Quote:
The deepest job cuts came in the manufacturing sector, which lost 7,600 jobs over the year, a 12.9 percent loss. Major tech employers such as Applied Materials Inc., Spansion Inc., Freescale Semiconductor Inc. and Dell Inc. have cut manufacturing jobs in the past year.
This is the result of the downturn in the global market for these products, which is now resulting in cutbacks locally.

Quote:
The manufacturing, government, and education and health services sectors each shed about 1,000 jobs during hte month. The only sector to post a significant increase was leisure and hospitality, which added 1,400 positions in June.
In addition everyone has been tightening their belts and buying less. This results in less sales taxes which support most government and education sector employment in the area. Naturally jobs are lost as a result. It took longer to get to Austin but anyone who has been paying attention could see that the recession was bound to get here eventually.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,148,425 times
Back to the topic..Austin's unemployment rate.

Sooner or later we all knew it was bound to hit us and it has. Slowly at first but it looks like it hit us hard now. People getting laid off and new folks coming without jobs may and I say may be skewing the numbers a bit.

I've never seen so many cars from so many states as I have this past year.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:31 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,350,612 times
There are a lot of jobs in Austin. Problem is, they are being done by foreign nationals. You know, "Those jobs Americans don't want to do" More like, "jobs Americans can't afford to do"
Texas needs to wake up, and mirror Arizona, Oklahoma, and other states penalizing those that employ foreign nationals, here illegally.(is that "PC" correct enough?)

Old 07-18-2009, 11:15 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,986,506 times
The National Unemployment rate is 9.5%
Texas unemployment is 7.5%
Austin is 7.1%

Viewed in context, looks pretty good to me. Relatively speaking, getting back to 4% to 5% will be nice, and it will happen, but this cycle has to work itself out first.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: