Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 04:07 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,041,718 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with the article. I've been unemployed for over a month now, have applied at 40 places, had 3 interviews out of them - no job yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 04:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,827,038 times
What kind of work do you have experience in?

Old 07-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Customer service, dispatching, clerical - that type of thing. I've worked in the trucking industry for the last 15+ years, but none of them are hiring and I want to get out of that industry anyway.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,013,585 times
Funny true story about outsourcing call centers.....

"Phone centers are leaving the country. Between the national no-call list and cheap international communication rates, a lot of companies are moving their call centers and telephone tech support to places like India, the Philippines, Cost Rica, and China.

Last week I called SBC to ask them why I couldn't use their smtp (outgoing) email server. Smpt.sbcglobal.net told me I was not authorized. It hasn't worked for months, but I thought I might want to use it some day when I'm traveling. So I talked to someone in India for 20 or 30 minutes, and then I had to leave. I called back later and talked to someone else in India. It's a large country.

I was elevated to the next level of tech support, which I believe is just under the Brahman level. The girl there told me I was a brainless insect, except she was very polite about it. I was going to point out that insects do, in fact, have brains, albeit small ones, but I was afraid she wouldn't understand the nuances of Okie Speak. She didn't quite grasp the full meaning of phrases like "this sucker's just busted" unless I spoke slowly and paraphrased.

Anyway, she explained that she could send mail using smtp.sbcglobal.net with my user ID and password, and that if I had a problem with it must be a reflection on my computing ability specifically and my manhood in general. Well, she didn't come right out and say that, but I think that's what she meant.

She finally agreed to have a technician in Oklahoma come repair my DSL, even though I explained that my DSL is not broken, I just needed an smtp server that worked with my user ID and password. She said the technician was coming and if he could send an email I would have to pay for a service call. I said OK, but if he can't send an email, then you have to pay me, right? This caused considerable confusion and a long discussion.

Anyway, Jan the technician showed up the next morning. She found out pretty quick that smtp.sbcglobal.net didn't work and told me to use mail.swbell.net instead. I lived happily ever after, and SBC wasted a bunch of money because the scripts their call center people in India were using didn't have a fork in the decision tree for mail.swbell.net. Later on I figured out that SBC's Indian DNS and Oklahoman DNS must be pointing to different IP addresses for smtp.sbcglobal.net.

I won the bet, but I haven't been paid yet."

Old 07-18-2009, 05:08 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,586,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Customer service, dispatching, clerical - that type of thing. I've worked in the trucking industry for the last 15+ years, but none of them are hiring and I want to get out of that industry anyway.
My husband got hired with Great Wide. He was having a hard time finding something as well for the longest time.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
My husband got hired with Great Wide. He was having a hard time finding something as well for the longest time.
I'm glad to hear your husband found something. I'm trying, but there's just not a whole lot out there. After the experiences I just had with the last delivery company I just got let go from, I'm totally soured now on ever working for another trucking company again.

I had to file an appeal to fight for my UI benefits. That hearing is on the 27th of this month.

So in the meantime, I'm applying where I can. I've had 3 interviews, but no call-backs yet. A lot of people applying for all those jobs too - lots of competition!

Old 07-18-2009, 10:32 PM

634 posts, read 1,442,365 times
There aren't many "illegals" working for tech firms and temp agencies. Xenophobes. They are always a good time.

I had broached the question of pervasive UNDERemployment (i.e. degreed individuals working dead-end service jobs and/or part-time employees who seek full-time work) in this town and was told by one poster that given such a variable the unemployment/underemployment figures in Austin bordered on 17%. Of course, he didn't cite his source, but it seems plausible.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:51 AM

399 posts, read 970,191 times
Technically, I haven't had a full-time job in a year and a half, but I was going to school full-time for a big chunk of that time, so I haven't been sitting around doing nothing. I've been semi-actively looking for work since January - sent out dozens of applications and resumes, and have had 2 interviews. I've been doing some temp work which is keeping me semi-busy, but even that seems harder to come by than in the past. Everyone seems to be in a hiring freeze, and when I'm looking at job ads online I've noticed the hours getting shorter and the wages getting smaller....

I think the national unemployment rate is already over 10%, and underemployment is even higher.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:23 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,333,199 times
The unemployment rate is figured for those that have filed for unemployment.

Those that are employees, misclassified as subcontractors(to cheat the system) are not listed in the figures for unemployment. There are a lot of misclassified employees, out of work, that do not show up in the 7.1% figure.

Believe it or not, Austin's unemployed and the other cities figures you see, are much higher than is listed. A lot higher.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM

988 posts, read 3,241,562 times
I agree with the numbers being underestimated,
-underemployment
-transplants not eligible for unemployment benefits
-illegal workers being unemployed(decline of construction,etc)
-fraud like BentBow said

I just hope those top 10 lists will stop coming out so that people would stop moving there. It's not going to be a pretty picture in 5 years with a larger population and the same(or less) amount of jobs. An abundance of jobs in Austin are service-based too and that's the only sector that really will grow. High-tech will continue to decline as it is outsourced, Government will stay steady but there is very little turnover(baby boomers are delaying retirement), Education will grow a bit but there is a LOT of competition there. The other industries are not large enough to make a huge impact. I'm not a pessimest, but its not looking good for the future. Obviously, things will turn-around but will Austin's job market be able to absorb the highly educated expanding workforce? We shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin