Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:19 PM

434 posts, read 1,076,564 times

Advertisements

I'll consider America super lucky if average unemployment stays at 10% to 15% in the next 10-15 years.

Texas' luck is about to run out. Be prepared for a 3rd world economy.

We have a pretty good idea what is going to happen to high tech jobs around the country. What kind of jobs do you expect to be created here in Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 04:30 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,016,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
I'll consider America super lucky if average unemployment stays at 10% to 15% in the next 10-15 years.

Texas' luck is about to run out. Be prepared for a 3rd world economy.

We have a pretty good idea what is going to happen to high tech jobs around the country. What kind of jobs do you expect to be created here in Austin?
Well, Austinite....hard to say.....Austin has a very hard-working/educated workforce.....very savvy of tech issues as well.....I think a big part of it is how much tech work they continue to offshore......that is the biggest threat to Austin's workforce, as Tech is most definitely its jewel.....I say where tech goes, Austin goes......the city certainly can't boom just on the virtue of BBQ places and bars/live music......

Old 07-29-2009, 02:34 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
Austin keeps growing in the downturn (http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/other/2009/07/20/0720newaustin.html - broken link)

Continued growth has an up and a down side.

Quote:
New residents help keep the local economy humming. They rent apartments, buy homes and cars, and in some cases start new businesses, creating jobs. Some economists say they also could create pressure on the region's job market. The local unemployment rate spiked in June to 7.1 percent, and the region has begun to lose jobs.

Rising unemployment here is a real concern if we continue to see stronger-than-expected population growth.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:08 PM

20 posts, read 29,661 times
hell nah. i got a job soon as i moved here. just look

Old 07-29-2009, 04:09 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,076,300 times
Default Instant Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycheeksbeflappin View Post
hell nah. i got a job soon as i moved here. just look
That's great. I'm curious. What field are you in? Medical? What kind of job?

I think to some extent the jobs available are a mismatch for the skillsets the Austin job hunters tend to have.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:47 PM

20 posts, read 29,661 times
i took what i could. moved here without a job but ended up deilvering at papa johns real quik. apratments was chee-eap up here i decided to stay close lots of places were making deals i coulndt find aroun nwarlings. i cant get to austin much wish i did tho yo know get my party on hehe yeah. peace

Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,076,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycheeksbeflappin View Post
moved here without a job but ended up deilvering at papa johns
Kinda what I suspected. Service industry jobs are not hard to come by. However, I think that many on here are seeking professional positions.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,148,425 times
Somehow getting a job at Papa John's is not what most professionals will aspire to if they move here before having locked in a job.

The Papa John's by me is actually turning down people as so many are applying right now.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Kinda what I suspected. Service industry jobs are not hard to come by. However, I think that many on here are seeking professional positions.
While I'm not seeking a Professional position, I am seeking something that will pay my mortgage and bills, and Papa John's won't cut it for me.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,016,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Somehow getting a job at Papa John's is not what most professionals will aspire to if they move here before having locked in a job.

The Papa John's by me is actually turning down people as so many are applying right now.
As HT says, many gas stations are swamped with apps for 9/hour work now, along with supermarkets, chain stores, and such.....people are looking for "get by" money while they job seach now, and those jobs are a great help, if you can get them.....I was told that H-E-B has a mountain of apps for jobs.....
I think that you have to define "Jobs in Austin", when you ask what is out there now......now, it is very tight to compete for living-wage, 40K and up positions, and starting to get tight even for "getting by" jobs....personally, I would consider someone moving out here without work to be out of his/her mind at this point.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin