Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 AM

9 posts, read 24,610 times

Advertisements

Well 7% unemployment sounds really good to me right about now. The metro detroit area is already at 17% according to the news media and it's not done climbing. Probably will make it over the 20% mark before the end of the year.
It's pretty depressing to see most shopping plazas in the suburb where I live at around a 40% vacancy rate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:14 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaMoveOuttaMichigan View Post
Well 7% unemployment sounds really good to me right about now. The metro detroit area is already at 17% according to the news media and it's not done climbing. Probably will make it over the 20% mark before the end of the year.
It's pretty depressing to see most shopping plazas in the suburb where I live at around a 40% vacancy rate...
Best thing you can do right now is pick up marketable job skills....those that don't have them will be marginalized for life in any metro, booming or busting....the "just any old job" thing won't even pay rent, let alone support a family or enable one to thrive.....honestly, sounds like you might be in this situation, and might be young enough to bone up on a trade, any trade.....I suggest you go to school, look for a program that helps out those who need help paying for the same, and get something in a decent field, be it rad tech in hospitals, or any trade whatsoever...moving to Austin without viable skills will just provide you with at best, a choice of crappy jobs as well, but worse, you will have to support yourself without any friends or family to help.......in that respect, getting retooled while you have family in Mich to help you, per going to school, might be the wisest choice.....maybe Austin is the best choice for you now, but, then again, maybe you will just be making a bit over minimum, barely surviving even while boarding with other people, who you may not even get along with, with no privacy as well, sharing bathrooms and such with strangers........you'll need to make at least 13/hour just to pay rent on the smallest studio, so sharing rent is an absolute given if you are making less.....

If you have viable skills you can be employed anywhere, even in Mich, while, if you do NOT have viable skills, you will struggle, even in Austin.

Last edited by inthecut; 07-30-2009 at 11:25 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,192 times
Austin job market is not good for executives in business. My husband and I moved here a year and a half ago. Husband had a great job, left it to try a start up. Turned out to be one of the most immoral groups of people around. Push come to shove, he moved here from the Northeast with 3 kids, now have 4. My husband is still without a job, 10 months later. He would take anything, not being picky. Was making over 6 figures and now nothing. We purchased a house when we moved, if anyone is moving for a start up, do NOT move your family for at least a year. These venture captial people are evil. Side note my husband was Laid off , not fired for lack of performance. I think the types of jobs Austin has are medical, university and low paid Walmart types of jobs. Manufacturing, industrial jobs, almost no-existent here. In the past four months my husband has been to Japan, Israel, Germany looking for work. Where is the money in the US?$#%

Old 11-06-2009, 12:29 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
All the Texas cities are probably the same in unemployment.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:31 PM

There is no money. They are resting on laurels of debt.

When you say immoral groups of people around. Are you talking about the people he worked with in Austin,Texas? Because I've heard the people there can be really crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmstrauss View Post
Austin job market is not good for executives in business. My husband and I moved here a year and a half ago. Husband had a great job, left it to try a start up. Turned out to be one of the most immoral groups of people around. Push come to shove, he moved here from the Northeast with 3 kids, now have 4. My husband is still without a job, 10 months later. He would take anything, not being picky. Was making over 6 figures and now nothing. We purchased a house when we moved, if anyone is moving for a start up, do NOT move your family for at least a year. These venture captial people are evil. Side note my husband was Laid off , not fired for lack of performance. I think the types of jobs Austin has are medical, university and low paid Walmart types of jobs. Manufacturing, industrial jobs, almost no-existent here. In the past four months my husband has been to Japan, Israel, Germany looking for work. Where is the money in the US?$#%

Old 11-06-2009, 12:34 PM

I don't see how anyone can get a job in Austin. UT Austin has already had to lay off staff. They also are in a hiring freeze. Everything else there is useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
T Austin bordered on 17%. Of course, he didn't cite his source, but it seems plausible.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:49 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmstrauss View Post
It's more a national malaise than an Austin one....Austin is actually doing LESS worse, if that makes sense, than other places...that just means they aren't losing as many jobs as most other metros.....Note, that does not mean they are gaining jobs, for they have had negative job growth two consecutive quarters till now, of which I understand in the last quarter that just came in Austin gained a fraction of a % in growth.....what that means is that there are hiring freezes across industries and sectors, public and private. Those that have them are nevertheless worries about losing them, and those looking are largely shut out of the city's market unless they have their own business, and are competing for VC funding.....

Frankly, anyone who makes a major move to ANY city in the US without a job lined up is out of their mind now......

BTW, did the new quarterly UR for Austin come in yet, as this post came from the summer months? I would imagine its a few ticks higher...the national UR just came in today, and went up half a point to 10.2%. Austin almost religiously tails the national by 2.5%, so our local UR must be about 7.7% now.....

Old 11-06-2009, 12:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
My advice is don't believe all you read in the magazines about how great Austin is doing in this recession. The reality is different and the current unemployment numbers are starting to reflect that.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
That "estimate" Does not include business owners that close shop, and people working a subcontractors, that are no longer working.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That "estimate" Does not include business owners that close shop, and people working a subcontractors, that are no longer working.
The estimate is certainly off, but it is applied uniformly to all the US metros they mention. The question is, does the methodology work "less" in certain areas because the employment picture is weighted differently.. ie, cities which have a lot of independent contractors, small businesses, etc (like Austin) vs. cities which have more people employed by large employers in factories, etc (like say, Michigan). I think an argument could be made that in someplace like Michigan, unemployment figures are more accurate than in a place like Austin.

It makes it extremely difficult to judge the DOL's numbers in terms of "how likely I will be to get employment in X city". In a bigger metro like Houston or Dallas, there will be so many more available positions... just through turnover. Yes, there could be tons more applicants because of population -- but at least the opportunity is there for people to compete for those positions. In Austin, there are just so much fewer positions, especially for highly trained/specialized workers. That's what isn't shown by the employment figures, and hence is overlooked by some relocatees IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin