U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 02:30 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,253,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post

another BS. I was talking about things in the real world.

You've got a lot to learn about HR and IT in Austin.
I would almost believe this if I didn't have personal experience that is much different. Myself and many other people that I know only have B.S./B.A. degrees from California schools (UC's and CSU's). We didn't have any problem getting various IT jobs in Austin.

I agree with others in that getting an IT job here is more about your previous experience and the companies that you've worked for in the past and not about where your degree is from. I would imagine that it is difficult for any new grad whether he is from UT or not to beat out an experienced IT person right now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 04:20 PM

16,787 posts, read 46,804,024 times
Trends for construction jobs continue to be down in the Austin area.

Austin construction employment down 7% from ‘08 - Austin Business Journal:

However some local news is promising that this might change. Home were up: Austin home sales hit highest level in a year (http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/other/2009/07/21/0721homesales.html - broken link)
Builders pick up the pace on area new-home starts (http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/other/2009/07/02/0702homestarts.html - broken link)
Construction spending rises (http://www.statesman.com/search/content/business/stories/other/2009/08/04/0804construction.html - broken link)

Quote:
n the Austin market, homebuilders picked up the pace in the second quarter. Though starts were down nearly 35 percent in the second quarter from the same time last year, they were nearly 53 percent higher than in the first quarter, according to research firm Residential Strategies Inc. And though activity usually picks up from winter to spring, the increase was more than twice that seen between the first and second quarters of 2008.
A recent TxDot news releases spoke of substantial new projects starting in the next year, I believe they were related to infrastructure stimulus spending. I can't find the article on the internet, but I remember reading it. I expected the federal stimulus money for infrastructure projects to lag behind, because there is so much planning, permitting, and engineering design required on the front end before the construction contracts can be bid.

Here are a few more resources:

Careers
Careers (http://www.txdot.gov/careers/job_search/openings.htm?type=city&location=Austin - broken link)
http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin/jobs/

Old 08-06-2009, 12:01 AM

4 posts, read 7,262 times
Try a drug manufactuer (Abbott) or a cosmetics manufacturer. There is a large one north of Dallas/Fort Worth that manufactures products like Lubriderm.

Try using LinkedIn to find jobs also. Join some of the groups and work with the recruiters that post jobs on each group.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 46,804,024 times
An update on the local market:

Austin job market remains soft in July (http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/employment/2009/08/22/0822texjobs.html - broken link)

Quote:
The Austin-area job market remained soft in July, with 1,400 fewer jobs than a year earlier and a 7.3 percent unemployment rate, the Texas Workforce Commission reported Friday.

It was the second month in a row that the region lost jobs. The 0.2 percent year-over-year loss rate was unchanged from June.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:59 PM

748 posts, read 1,708,637 times
I just sent resumes to 60 Austin area companies. Got one rejection letter so far, from U of T.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:05 PM

434 posts, read 1,023,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
I just sent resumes to 60 Austin area companies. Got one rejection letter so far, from U of T.
what position were you applying for at UT?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:05 PM

2,522 posts, read 5,761,395 times
This might be a good time to try the Metroplex or Houston if you can't find anything here.....I can think of far worse places.....both are doing better than Austin now as well, especially the MP....

Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 PM

434 posts, read 1,023,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Hmmm....I guess the fact that I have worked in Austin for three software companies since 1985 and have personally hired dozens of people doesn't count?
It doesn't count. (even if it's true, it doesn't count; and I don't believe you, because of your previous posts.) If you studied computer science in college, you should have little difficulty understanding why it doesn't count even if it's true.

Quote:

Please tell us where your wisdom comes from.
in short, the real world.

you don't have a lot of connections in Austin's software sector, do you? (it shows)

Old 08-25-2009, 10:43 AM

13,719 posts, read 29,485,656 times
Hmmm...what in my previous posts confuses you or makes you doubt what I say? I have been working in software in Austin since 1984. I have personally recruited and hired well over 50 people - mostly software developers.

I have worked in business development with many software and IT companies - including several based in Austin. I am well aware of how many people in these companies earned their jobs. And they come from all over.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 AM

804 posts, read 1,882,609 times
Excellent, let's all send hoff some resumes Oh wait... I'm not a "software developer"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin