Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,784,060 times

Advertisements

It was a pretty good show, relatively new, then it blew up last Wednesday. You've probably already heard the story: on-air cohost Don Pryor (son of the legendary Cactus Pryor, nephew of long-time UT stadium announcer Wally Pryor) uttered the w-word over 30 times in their broadcast. People complained. Hispanic groups threatened boycotts...

KLBJ-AM's 'Todd and Don Show' canceled; co-host Pryor loses on-air duties (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/07/21/0721slur.html - broken link)

The entire audio broadcast in its entirety is linked off this story --
KLBJ cancels Todd and Don Show | KXAN.com

What do you think? Example of censorship, misunderstanding of satire, or an example of Austin racism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:13 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,323,098 times
No they didn't.

The term they are referring to, was made by our President "IKE" in 1954, with the enforcement of Operation W*TBACK.

It is a term for Mexican nationals, that cross the Rio Grange. Only Texans can actually use it for what it really means.

It is not a racial term. Those that are pro-illegal alien want to turn it into a racist terminology, to push their agenda of hate towards all hispanic Americans, too.

The term means your here on AMERICAN soil, illegally and without documentation, not that your Hispanic.

You can turn it and twist it however you wish, but President "IKE" knew exactly what he was saying when he coined the term in the 1954's. It is no more racist than the term "Boat People"(Cuba, Haiti, Vietnam, Morocco.....)

Old 07-20-2009, 06:18 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,022,692 times
I think the guy saying it was trying to be funny.... poking fun at the group that wants to do away with the term illegal alien. Frankly, such a group needs to have fun poked at it. However, I think he was a bonehead to use the term "*******" as it is a deplorable term. And he was pretty stupid considering what happened to Don Imus.

Do I think the show should have been canceled? No, I think the two weeks without pay was appropriate for the dude that kept uttering the word but the other guy kept begging him to stop using it so I don't know why he was penalized.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:46 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,320,755 times
I loved the Todd and Don Show. I was listening when it spun out-of-control last week. I admit that I was turned off by it. At first it was obvious (to me, anyway) that he was being sarcastic. But then he just went too far, IMO, and was just saying it for the sake of saying it.

However, I don't think they should have pulled the show off the air. And I don't think they should have punished Todd Jeffries - he was trying to get Don to shut up and telling him he was out-of-line. I don't know what more they expected him to do.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:55 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,041,101 times
I saw on the news tonight how a Hispanic website had some sort of clip on it that was making fun of Gay folks. When confronted, the guy really had nothing to say...

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

Old 07-20-2009, 06:56 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,320,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I saw on the news tonight how a Hispanic website had some sort of clip on it that was making fun of Gay folks. When confronted, the guy really had nothing to say...

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...
It was a website for one of the organizations that was upset about the comments on Todd and Don. I saw the wtory on KVUE, but I can't remember exactly which organization it was.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,784,060 times
I was also listening, and it baffled me too. Don has in the past parodied rednecks in that way, pretending to talk like that, and I thought for a while that was what was going on... however, the baffling thing is he really did not appear to know the word was the kind of no-no that could get you kicked off the air. That's strange, and I wonder if it is a result of his sheltered west Austin life... He was using it like a radio host might use "meskins" to parody an angry redneck...

What is even stranger is that just 2 years ago, we had a similar story here in Austin where someone got fired for using that word -- a story Don Pryor might have actually reported at some point on KLBJ (I think he did traffic and sometimes news breaks). The story of the offensive car dealership ad:
Georgetown Ford Dealer Regrets Using Racial Slur to Peddle Cars - Austinist: Austin News, Food, Arts & Events

Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,249,558 times
I just heard the broadcast, and the Pryor guy was just kind of a jerk about it. Kind of snarky and silly.

There were a couple of callers who had some interesting points about illegal immigrants, 'hate' speech, and reverse discrimination.

I really dislike name calling, no matter who is using the word or what the word is.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-21-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 01:16 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,059,282 times
Just a couple of things:

First, the term 'wet-back' was first used predominately in the mid to late 20's. Unless "IKE" was President then, your entire premise has been blown out of the water. Also, I guess you've never heard of the Bracero program, and the violation of it, which leads to our current situation. The same party then who made the mess is now complaining about the mess.

Second, Texan's can't use the term exclusively. What are you an idiot? You do know that Texas was part of Mexico, and not very long after becoming part of the U.S. did the term first surface.

Third, it's hate speech. You can try to be funny, and if you do it and say once or twice or maybe even a handful of times of the course of a 1-hr show. But to use it over 35 times in the space of 50 minutes...that's not funny. It's hate speech.

BOTH Todd & Don got what they deserved, which is a slap on the wrist. Like the other idiot, these two morons will have another show in a few months, with the same parent company.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,960,096 times
Todd Jeffries was thrown under the bus. Cactus Pryor's son is now learning about humility. In a month, we'll all move along and let these two serve as entertainers. That's all it is - entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin