Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:48 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
The problem with listing sources is that none of them are credible. You cannot base your decisions off of any listings that the city of Austin paid dearly to be apart of. Any magazine that lists Austin as being a gay friendly place OBVIOUSLY received a nice chunk of change from the city for false advertising.
So you ask for statistics, and someone provides the source for them. But because they disagree with your hateful idea of what you claim Austin is, you dismiss them as being bribery. So instead of actual statistics and opinions from gay people who live here or national gay-themed magazines, you'd rather we take the opinion (where are your statistics, dare I ask?) of a straight man who hates Austin and avoids coming to the city as much as possible, yet takes every opportunity to bash it.

I think by now we all get it. Everything in Austin - its sunrises, food, weather, people, politics, music, parks, cars, intelligence, honesty, etc. - is beneath you and you can't wait to get out. I truly hope that happens soon because it can't be healthy for you mentally to carry around all the hatred and disgust that you seem to need to spew constantly. For your sake, I hope you get to a better place for you as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 12:03 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
You might look at this website too

Austin Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce

Old 06-07-2010, 12:18 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
There are many statistics of places and cities where life is overall easier for gay people. Things like amount of gay population, gay clubs/bars, overall accepting attitude of the gay lifestyle. Seattle, San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, and perhaps Chicago all come to mind. When people think of "gay friendly" places, Austin would surely be the furthest from their mind.

Eepstein, how do you know this to be true? news flash YOU ARE NOT GAY! You are not plugged into my community. You don't know. You cannot speak with any authority on what the gay community thinks.

If you were actually plugged into the gay community you would know that a VAST MAJORITY of gay people consider Austin to be the gay mecca of Texas. The vast majority of the gay community will tell you that Austin or Atlanta are the only 2 cities a gay person should even consider living in, if they happen to be below the Mason-Dixon line.

Who are you that you think your knowledge of living as a gay man trumps MY knowledge (i am an actual gay man) or the knowledge of a gay oriented magazine (A magazine written and produced by actual gay people).

Austin is not the "furthest" from anyones mind. In fact, Austin would probably be up there in the top 5 of American cities, included with NYC, LA, San Fran and Atlanta.

As usual, you have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

How about you leave the actual gay issues up to the gay posters? We know whereof we speak. Just like I dont get into an argument with one of our many realtors when it comes up to real estate issues.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 06-07-2010 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Terrible Spelling

Old 06-07-2010, 12:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
JayBrown80 - what you say can't possibly be true! It must be the result of a sinister campaign by the city of Austin to bribe you to say things that are not true. You are gay, you don't live in "liberal" central Austin, but somehow you enjoy life here. According to eepstein - that isn't possible!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:32 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,483 times
They're all over the place. Just call one and ask if they are one, and if not.... no harm intended. Call the next doctor in the phone-book.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:27 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
You'd think that by now folks would learn:

If someone posted about how Austin was voted the top state capital whose name starts with an A and ends with an N he'd still comment about how Dallas is better and how any of the letters in Austin are overrated compared to the same letters in Dallas (heck, Dallas as twice as many A's and just as many N's).

Back on topic. I think what strikes me as interesting about the original request and subsequent replies are two things:

1. I think one thing that many, straight, folks are having a hard time with is understanding what about dentistry makes one need to see a gay or gay friendly dentist? I know I can perfectly grasp the notion that certain folks feel more comfortable discussing certain aspects of their lives/health with certain types of professionals/service providers/etc, makes complete sense. The first thing that popped into my mind though was "what is it about dentistry" that makes this more important ....

2. which lead me to thought number 2. Is the issue that the OP is "openly gay" and therefore feels/knows that there might be issues with certain dentists?

Old 06-07-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Back on topic. I think what strikes me as interesting about the original request and subsequent replies are two things:

1. I think one thing that many, straight, folks are having a hard time with is understanding what about dentistry makes one need to see a gay or gay friendly dentist? I know I can perfectly grasp the notion that certain folks feel more comfortable discussing certain aspects of their lives/health with certain types of professionals/service providers/etc, makes complete sense. The first thing that popped into my mind though was "what is it about dentistry" that makes this more important ....

2. which lead me to thought number 2. Is the issue that the OP is "openly gay" and therefore feels/knows that there might be issues with certain dentists?
The OP's post was perfectly reasonable. Everyone probably has some preference about the medical people that treat them. I would have a hard time taking health advice from an obese physician (for example). I don't like it when doctors try to sell me high profit "organic" vitamins. Etc.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The OP's post was perfectly reasonable. Everyone probably has some preference about the medical people that treat them. I would have a hard time taking health advice from an obese physician (for example). I don't like it when doctors try to sell me high profit "organic" vitamins. Etc.
I mentioned that the general notion wasn't that out of whack, but even in your example the professional and their specific trait is directly related to the issue. Like I mentioned in my first point, the part that is a bit of a head scratcher is what about dentistry makes the OP feel more comfortable with a gay or supportive of gays dentist. Or perhaps it has nothing to do with dentistry and has more to do with my second point?

Really, without the OP coming back and stating what their rationale was (I don't think they ever did, or perhaps i missed it since this is a bit of a longish thread) then the _real_ answer may never be known. I've heard all the possibilities and I'm fine with them, now I'm just curious.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I mentioned that the general notion wasn't that out of whack, but even in your example the professional and their specific trait is directly related to the issue. Like I mentioned in my first point, the part that is a bit of a head scratcher is what about dentistry makes the OP feel more comfortable with a gay or supportive of gays dentist. Or perhaps it has nothing to do with dentistry and has more to do with my second point?

Really, without the OP coming back and stating what their rationale was (I don't think they ever did, or perhaps i missed it since this is a bit of a longish thread) then the _real_ answer may never be known. I've heard all the possibilities and I'm fine with them, now I'm just curious.
I have no idea what might be different about dentistry. But we have all been treated by medical professionals that we simply didn't like. For whatever reason - the vibe was wrong.

The good thing is that for now at least - we have choices. I hope the OP found what he/she was looking for.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:

If you had read the posts you will see that many of the people on City-data already, and quite thoroughly, attacked and belittled the OP b/c his original post had the word "dentist" in it. Even though he specifically stated in his OP that he was especially more interested in finding an MD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboi View Post
Looking for any gay or gay friendly Dentists/Doctors in the Austin area. Left mine in Houston and feel more comfortable talking about gay issues especially with my MD. Any around?
And then went on to explain his reasoning behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboi View Post
Its not a new form of prejudice...that's just weird to even suggest, its just easier to open up and talk about gay issues with a Dr who understands and without being discriminated from one who doesn't live the lifestyle and understand......seriously though!
And really, should the original poster have to explain why he feels more comfortable with a gay dentist/doctor to you Austinnerd? Can't you just answer if you know, or not answer if you don't?

If someone stopped you on the street and said "Do you know how to get to zilker park?" Would you say yes or no, or would you say "Why do you want to go to Zilker Park? Why does Zilker Park matter? Why Zilker Park and not another park!!!!!"

If you have read all the original posts in the rather long thread you will see that not only have jerks harped on the fact that he DARED to ask about dentists too, and therefore offended their sensibilities. But they also accused him of prejudice and compared him to KKK members and members of muslim extremists organizations.

All because he dared asked a question and put the word dentist in it.

So by all means Austinnerd, keep up the grand tradition of harping on the word dentist.

Maybe the OP doesn't feel comfortable going to a dentist that is a homophobic A$#$$$? Did that thought ever occur to you?

I mean, I know if I was a Jew, I would be super comfortable to have an anti-semetic for a dentist. Why, I couldn't wait to hop up in his chair and have him put me under!! I am sure I would be recieving the best possible care available to me.

This particular thread keeps on haunting me. I wonder if I will get more of the same wonderful homophobic DMs that I got last time, or really anytime the gay issue is brought up on this board. "Gays are scared of the truth!" "Gays just think they are special" "Gays <are> trying to re-define the laws because that's the root of their whole movement".

I can only imagine some of the lovely well wishes that the OP got from the knuckle dragging population on this forum.

I will just reiterate to those gay people who casually read the forums, and may not be aware of the hateful repeat offenders we have on this board. Austin is a safe place to be gay. It's not perfect, but it's better than most places. This forum is not representative of the Austin population as a whole. It is very hard to find a place in this world where you can be gay and still feel safe and comfortable, but Austin is one of those places. Don't let the few people on here who are hopelessly clueless steer you in the wrong direction.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 06-07-2010 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin