Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:39 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times

Advertisements

When we remodeled our kitchen a few years back, we kept the original cabinets- they needed updating but were solid wood and it seemed wasteful to rip them out (wierd, right??). So....I faux finished them. It was an easy 2 week project, and I did it over the summer, which was great because we had nice sunny days so the paint would dry. It's very doable, and easily done under $250. I'm convinced that there are no deals no home labor right now, even with the eco downturn. Try posting in the home forum, people there are very helpful with product names, etc. Good luck! Go DIY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 01:50 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
We got a quote for painting our kitchen cabinets last year from a contractor we trust... $2500. I've hired people to paint cabinets in rental property (where I wasn't too concerned about the result), and what the others are saying is correct. If the right paint, prep, and application technique is not used, the result will look bad. You need to find a contractor who will strip the existing finish, carefully sand the cabinets, and use a quality oil-based paint. It's difficult to do yourself. I hate working with oil-based paints, but you need it for a durable and quality looking end result. Spraying helps, but the sprayers you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes are terrible! Not even worth messing with. You would have to rent a commercial one, and that can add up quick if you have if for more than 1 day.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 PM

65 posts, read 189,126 times
Our home was built in '84 and we just finished remodeling the house ourselves. Because we didn't want to put a lot of money into the house we opted to keep the 80's oak cabinets and stain them with an oil-based stain in walnut. It looks very 'rustic' and it goes perfectly with the ranch-style home. It cost me less than $100 and one week to do it!

not sure how to upload pics on here but you can check out my before and after here http://www.flickr.com/photos/digichic/ (broken link)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/digichic/3746554305/ (broken link)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/digichic/3746554305/ (broken link)

Last edited by kasiem; 07-22-2009 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: adding pics

Old 07-22-2009, 03:21 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
I'd get some more quotes on the cabinet painting.

Then save money by doing the tile backsplash yourself.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:25 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasiem View Post
Our home was built in '84 and we just finished remodeling the house ourselves. Because we didn't want to put a lot of money into the house we opted to keep the 80's oak cabinets and stain them with an oil-based stain in walnut. It looks very 'rustic' and it goes perfectly with the ranch-style home. It cost me less than $100 and one week to do it!

not sure how to upload pics on here but you can check out my before and after here Flickr: kasiem's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/digichic/ - broken link)
They look great! Congrats!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:38 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:

not sure how to upload pics on here but you can check out my before and after here Flickr: kasiem's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/digichic/ - broken link)
Well done! Looks good...you lost the micro in favor of a vent hood, correct? Looks much less crowded now. Was the backsplash your work?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:39 PM

thank you! this was my first attempt at staining as well! I ended up doing all the oak in the house i ended up loving it so much! I'm hoping that it'll get the house sold faster as we're in round rock and looking to relocate to bee cave!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Well done! Looks good...you lost the micro in favor of a vent hood, correct? Looks much less crowded now. Was the backsplash your work?
yes, my husband did all the backsplash I just designed it and boy did i hear grief about the time it took him to do the backsplash..hehe.

and yeah, i lost the microwave. after it broke i splurged on the convection oven and don't regret at all. no need to cook/eat radiated food anyhow!

all in all we spent less than 10k including the 'yellow river' granite and really nice appliances kitchen-aide and GE. I wished we would have tiled instead of laying laminate, but eh? kept more stuff outta the landfill since we just laid the floor over em.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM

439 posts, read 1,256,699 times
Quote:
How did you do that? did you sand the cabinets first or strip them. Very nice job.

Debbie

Old 07-22-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
How did you do that? did you sand the cabinets first or strip them. Very nice job.

Debbie
I bought about 3 sanding blocks, 1 thing of minwax walnut GEL stain, 2 2" good brushes and used an old cotton t-shirt to wash the sanding dust off. $100 also includes all the hardware (quality is very good as well has an oil-bronze finish on nickel!)

I barely sanded them, I mean one pass. I noticed if I did it too much they started to look bad. The cabinets were not consistent either. Hubby left his chicken wing fryer in one spot too long and the cabinet turned this dry white color and started to barely crack. was able to cover all the imperfections by not sanding hardly at all! I didn't strip them even though they did have a light-light remaining finish on them.

After I sanded them I got the cotton shirt and ripped it into rags and washed off the cabinets really good.

then I just went at it with the stain. I found that it wasn't all that messy b/c the stain didn't drip since it is 'GEL' and not water based. I would have had a nightmare if so!

just make sure you use really good brushes otherwise you'll end up with the brisles stuck to your cabinets. They are so rustic as my wood matches my two rustic armoires that I bought at primitives perfectly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin