Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM

439 posts, read 1,256,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasiem View Post
I bought about 3 sanding blocks, 1 thing of minwax walnut GEL stain, 2 2" good brushes and used an old cotton t-shirt to wash the sanding dust off. $100 also includes all the hardware (quality is very good as well has an oil-bronze finish on nickel!)

Thanks, is this gel leave on or do you wait a few minutes and wipe off?

I like walnut color because it goes with most colors

Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 05:45 PM

65 posts, read 189,126 times
I brushed it on thick and did about 2 layers. I did the second before the other dried when it was barely starting to dry -say a minute not even. I never wiped it off just let it dry. before i started I took a door off the master bathroom cabinet to test what I thought of the finish. just a thought...

Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
ok, +1 for just getting in there and doing it!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,316 times
Default Painting Cabinets

I recently painted my Pickled Oak cabinets off white. I used an expensive water based enamel which layed out nicely (brush strokes not too noticable). It is meant to brush on more like oil paint. PM if you would like the brand if you choose to do it yourself.

I highly recommend putting more layers of paint on than you think if you do not want the very distinctive Oak Grain to be too noticable and be sure to prep properly and steel wool inbetween each coat. It is tedious but very rewarding and CHEAP. I love my cabinets now.

I did major remodeling with a toddler and a 4 year. A fond memory is when I just finished varnishing a beautiful paneled door and my toddler decide to help paint the freshly varnished door with paint. He is creative to this day. We actually had the whole roof of the house off and it rained. Now, that home is torn down, all that work, boy oh boy. I learned so much through all of that and I am very proud of the work I do now. The hardware store guys think I am buying tools for my husband but they are for me.

Good luck on your decision. $1300 sounds cheap to me, I bet they are only planning on 2 or 3 coats.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 PM

105 posts, read 380,059 times
Let me ask you guys this: when I was looking for a house, I didn't see a single kitchen in the style I like (similar to the photo in my OP). Do you think that's because of our budget (300k)? Or because it's not in style right now in Texas (it's definitely in style somewhere as magazines like this old house, southern living, cottage living and domino were full of pictures like this)?

I feel like the look of white cabinets with vintage drawer pulls, beadboard ceilings, vintage style light fixtures and subway tile backsplashes is a timeless look that won't go out of style as quickly. But everything we looked at was the same brown tile backsplash, oak or dark wood cabinets, and darkened bronze light fixtures.

If we redo our kitchen to have a more classic/retro look, will it be harder to sell down the road? If this style was desireable, surely we would have seen something in the 30+ houses we looked at (not counting the 100s I looked at online).

Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylonghorn2 View Post
Let me ask you guys this: when I was looking for a house, I didn't see a single kitchen in the style I like (similar to the photo in my OP). Do you think that's because of our budget (300k)? Or because it's not in style right now in Texas (it's definitely in style somewhere as magazines like this old house, southern living, cottage living and domino were full of pictures like this)?

I feel like the look of white cabinets with vintage drawer pulls, beadboard ceilings, vintage style light fixtures and subway tile backsplashes is a timeless look that won't go out of style as quickly. But everything we looked at was the same brown tile backsplash, oak or dark wood cabinets, and darkened bronze light fixtures.

If we redo our kitchen to have a more classic/retro look, will it be harder to sell down the road? If this style was desireable, surely we would have seen something in the 30+ houses we looked at (not counting the 100s I looked at online).
I think it's your budget. For 300K you are in the realm of tract housing and typically the type of kitchen you describe would be a rather expensive upgrade. Looking back at the picture you provide, that is a really expensive looking kitchen. Not something you would find unless someone paid to have it done or in a much higher end spec home.

Last edited by Jennibc; 07-23-2009 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: adding a thought after looking at the photo

Old 07-23-2009, 02:36 PM

105 posts, read 380,059 times
I agree that photo shows a pretty high end upgrade, but I think that that general feel could be achieved without spending much more than the typical style kitchen renovation costs... I'm worried that if we do redo our kitchen in this style, we'll have a hard time selling. What are your thoughts?

Old 02-06-2010, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,131 times
I had some work done on my bathroom cabinets from [url=http://www.kitchensbathsofaustin.com]Austin Kitchen Remodeling | Austin Bathroom Remodeling[/url] and it was very reasonable. I also know that the job can be really time consuming. They took off the doors and sanded them down and then sprayed them several times. They do look great but it did seem like a lot of work.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:02 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,601 times
RULE NUMBER ONE: If you're gonna paint those cabs, don't forget to PRIME first! *Very* important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin