Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:02 PM

18,480 posts, read 31,670,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
that's right. The economics of buying a home with additional space for guests is really dubious when you take into account the taxes you pay for it and the costs of heating/cooling it the other 50 weeks of the year. Makes about as much sense as buying a pickup to haul stuff once or twice a year.

totally agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,067,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
That's right. The economics of buying a home with additional space for guests is really dubious when you take into account the taxes you pay for it and the costs of heating/cooling it the other 50 weeks of the year. Makes about as much sense as buying a pickup to haul stuff once or twice a year.
Just depends on how maddening not having a pickup will be those 2 or 3 times. For me, it's intolerable not having hauling capacity when I want/need it.

My Mom is 68. We built a spare room and bath for her. At present, she is out of surgery and staying with us for two weeks, so it's extremely beneficial having the guest space. Many baby boomer age couples, like us, want guest space for this reason as well as frequent visits from aging parents. Young couples maybe don't need it as much, but those of us in the sandwich generation (school age kids and elderly parents) need the flex space.

Yes, if we had to we could double up the kids and give mom one of their rooms. But that would get crowded in the bathroom in the morning with two teenagers plus grandma.

Finally, The difference between the cost of a 3 bedroom home with a half bath and a 4 bedroom home with a full third bath is not much. We're talking an extra 140 sqft plus an additional shower. That's 4.6% more space in a 3,000 sqft home, 7% more in a 2,000 sqft home. That incremental A/C register and added space isn't as costly as you think for utility bills. Perhaps property tax bill is a few hundred per year higher, but well worth it having the flex space.

But, to each his own. I can think of a lot worse things that Americans blow their money on than an spare bedroom and extra shower.

Steve

Old 10-09-2009, 12:53 AM

11 posts, read 33,784 times
Anyone realised this on my first place? The early episodes people got "flat screens and big couches" then later on they were shown as getting a one seat-er chair and a table with a bottle of champagne. hahaha. The other thing is granite is going to be EXTREMELY unlikeable very soon because everyone is going to end up with the same kitchen. Same color granite, same color cabinets, etc. There is no difference and its too generic, its not going to help with home value, people need to start making their kitchens and bathrooms unique. Not granite and dark cherry cabinets.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:36 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,567,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisesanddaises View Post
Anyone realised this on my first place? The early episodes people got "flat screens and big couches" then later on they were shown as getting a one seat-er chair and a table with a bottle of champagne. hahaha. The other thing is granite is going to be EXTREMELY unlikeable very soon because everyone is going to end up with the same kitchen. Same color granite, same color cabinets, etc. There is no difference and its too generic, its not going to help with home value, people need to start making their kitchens and bathrooms unique. Not granite and dark cherry cabinets.
There are many varieties of granite color and pattern. We went from Uba-Tuba(which WAS very popular---possibly a 'future' classic) to Copper Canyon--totally different, more southwestern(with cappuccino cabinets), and now back to a blackish background with silver and a little green(like Uba-Tuba on steroids) and cherry cabs. If the kitchen gets enough light, the dark counters and cabs look great, IMO.

It's a bit like saying oak floors are 'all the same'...they certainly have stood the test of time--decades, after all. One person's 'unique' is another's 'unsellable'. I'm all for function first--(but DW's an interior designer by education so I frequently get 'out-voted')...granite is extremely functional, IMO. Chocolate and vanilla, as they say.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,067,761 times
Quote:
One person's 'unique' is another's 'unsellable'.
Exactly. The best selling homes are vanilla wafers that offer functional appeal with a good lot and/or location. Over personalizing a home is a death knell to a resale effort. We see it all the time, every day.

Granite provides functionality first and foremost. As the price of granite has fallen, such that it's seen now even in modest priced homes, it's no longer as important as a "luxury" feature selling point, but that does not diminish it's functionality and general usefulness.

Steve

Old 10-09-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Finally, The difference between the cost of a 3 bedroom home with a half bath and a 4 bedroom home with a full third bath is not much. We're talking an extra 140 sqft plus an additional shower. That's 4.6% more space in a 3,000 sqft home, 7% more in a 2,000 sqft home. That incremental A/C register and added space isn't as costly as you think for utility bills. Perhaps property tax bill is a few hundred per year higher, but well worth it having the flex space.

But, to each his own. I can think of a lot worse things that Americans blow their money on than an spare bedroom and extra shower.

Steve
Ain't that the truth! We would have made an interesting 'House Hunters' couple a year and a half ago as we went from thinking 2800 sq ft 3br + den type home($325-350k range) to going 'over the top' by getting a good deal on 3600sq ft+, 4br PLUS a game room(now my 'wreck' room) with a lot more 'air'(two story entry and great room) than I ever thought we would have. The other 'indulgence' is the third garage bay...with no garden shed or shop, I insisted on the third bay(something it looks like MANY Austinites could use).

Yep, we pay a bit more for utilities, taxes and upkeep...but it sure comes in handy when more than one or two guests arrive...after a decade in a bungalow, it's nice to be able to stretch out a bit. We're a few years away from needing to 'downsize' for convenience(I hope).

Now, we've kept our automobile 'footprint' a bit smaller...I'll just give Steve a call when we need a truck!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:02 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,394,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
There are many varieties of granite color and pattern. We went from Uba-Tuba(which WAS very popular---possibly a 'future' classic) to Copper Canyon--totally different, more southwestern(with cappuccino cabinets), and now back to a blackish background with silver and a little green(like Uba-Tuba on steroids) and cherry cabs. If the kitchen gets enough light, the dark counters and cabs look great, IMO.

It's a bit like saying oak floors are 'all the same'...they certainly have stood the test of time--decades, after all. One person's 'unique' is another's 'unsellable'. I'm all for function first--(but DW's an interior designer by education so I frequently get 'out-voted')...granite is extremely functional, IMO. Chocolate and vanilla, as they say.
High density sealed concrete is also extremely functional, yet it is much more likely that you can get it installed much cheaper. The cost of granite is all in the material (not a lot of room to haggle there), where as concrete is all in the labor - find a way to reduce the labor costs (ie DIY, friend, etc) and you have a much better chance at getting the custom look with good durability at a lower cost.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM

69 posts, read 220,973 times
Try watching Real Estate Intervention on HGTV. I like both of the hosts, who assist home sellers in accepting the reality of the market by showing them homes that sold in their neighborhoods and pointing out the hard truths. The sellers don't always respond well, but he does a good job saying it like it is.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:22 AM

634 posts, read 1,449,238 times
I have a crush on Sandra (Property Virgins host). I love her cute Canadian accent. And the fact that she seems very no nonsense. She appears very genuine on screen and translates as someone who would encourage you to make a smart home purchase. Ohhhh Sandra.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
High density sealed concrete is also extremely functional, yet it is much more likely that you can get it installed much cheaper. The cost of granite is all in the material (not a lot of room to haggle there), where as concrete is all in the labor - find a way to reduce the labor costs (ie DIY, friend, etc) and you have a much better chance at getting the custom look with good durability at a lower cost.
It will be interesting to look forward/back a few years from now to evaluate the concrete countertops 'phase' in kitchen design. While I can see it as a remodel material--especially in 'artsy-craftsy' type homes, I really can't imagine it as a mainstream new-construction option...except for truly custom homes...and then it's likely to cost a pretty penny. I wonder if folks on 'Property Virgins' will say "Concrete counters...that's SO dated".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin